Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

Be interesting to see what they do to king fishing on the Klutina and Gulkana now...

They're closed to King fishing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I thought they opened it back up for subsistence and sports fisheries. Limit is 5 for subsistence and 2 for sport fishing. I couldn't find any info on personal use though.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...2017&AreaID=33

2017 UPPER COPPER RIVER KING SALMON FISHERIES RESTRICTIONS RELAXED

Effective June 3, in the Glennallen Subdistrict subsistence fishery the annual limit for king salmon taken by fish wheel is rescinded and the annual limit for king salmon taken by dip net is reinstated to 5 fish. Fish wheels do not need to be closely attended, but must be checked and all fish caught by the fish wheel removed at least once every 10 hours.

Effective June 5, all king salmon sport fisheries in the Upper Copper River drainage will reopen with an annual limit for king salmon over 20 inches of two fish, with no more than one king salmon of the two fish annual limit retained from any individual tributary or the mainstem of the Copper River. The use of bait is allowed in the Copper River mainstem and portions of the Gulkana, Klutina, and Tonsina rivers as described in the 2017 Northern Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary on pages 28-35.

The Copper River King Salmon Fishery Management Plan directs the department to manage the Copper River fisheries to achieve a sustainable escapement goal in the Copper River of 24,000 or more king salmon. On March 6, 2017 the department closed the king salmon sport and personal use fisheries of the Copper River drainage and imposed and reduced the annual limit of king salmon in the subsistence fishery in response to a preseason run forecast of only 29,000 fish and generally poor return strength since 2009. However, greater than expected commercial harvest of king salmon during extremely limited fishing time and restricted area indicates the 2017 run of king salmon may be greater than forecast, providing potential for a harvestable surplus of king salmon above the escapement goal in the Copper River drainage. It is therefore justified to relax the preseason restrictions and provide additional harvest opportunity.

The department will continue to monitor the 2017 Copper River king salmon run as it develops. If indicators of abundance suggest the 2017 run is weaker than current indicators suggest, the department may again take further restrictive action.

Thanks for the correction. I hadn't heard about the restriction being rescinded.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Finally found the info on personal use permits for kings. The limit is still zero, but they will be watching the king run and if it keeps looking as strong as it has been, they may reinstate the one king per permit limit.

Hot off the press... two different parties on 1 June opener. 1st party dipped 2 days roughly 10 hours 63 fish, no Kings. 2nd party, 3 people, dipped from shore between bridge and fish wheels for 2 days as well, zip, nada, a big fat zero. Also told the river to cross to get to fish wheels is to deep for even a truck... Good luck to all

Thanks real bob good to get an update there should be lots of fish in the river when personal use opens... the sonar counts have been looking real good

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    Hot off the press... two different parties on 1 June opener. 1st party dipped 2 days roughly 10 hours 63 fish, no Kings. 2nd party, 3 people, dipped from shore between bridge and fish wheels for 2 days as well, zip, nada, a big fat zero. Also told the river to cross to get to fish wheels is to deep for even a truck... Good luck to all
    I thought there was super low water. Maybe the channels changed. It does look like the water is starting to come up with the warmer weather in the interior.

I think what he's talking about with high water in the river is the kostina I'm not sure... which is how you get to the fishwheel by the bridge which is how you get to the fish wheels by the bridge or dip net subsistence.... I just listen to the recording at Glennallen for dipnetting personal use... it said you cannot keep a king... if you could you think they would say it... if this is true do I understand the only people that can't keep a king are Alaskan residents fishing personal use

That's the way I understand it. Only personal use can't keep any. Subsistence is back up to five. Double check and verify as they seem to be changing things up every couple of days....

I think I'll stop in at a adfg tomorrow at the office see what they say.... good luck this season coho slayer. .an be safe

Let us know what they say.

And best of luck to you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    I think what he's talking about with high water in the river is the kostina I'm not sure... which is how you get to the fishwheel by the bridge which is how you get to the fish wheels by the bridge or dip net subsistence.... I just listen to the recording at Glennallen for dipnetting personal use... it said you cannot keep a king... if you could you think they would say it... if this is true do I understand the only people that can't keep a king are Alaskan residents fishing personal use
    You are correct. The only user group that cannot keep a king from this fishery is comprised solely of Alaskan residents.

I'll be keeping a king if I catch one. If caught I will be challenging in court and fully expect to win.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I just read a news release by adfg and it said still no King for personal use dipnetters... it was issued about an hour ago so it's update

I went to the adfg office today... so the official word is no king for now for PU... they are still assessing things... such as the canyon and baird test fishwheels... if the Outlook looks good they possibly could give a king to PU... but it's very unlikely it will happen in the next week or week and a half... so keep your fingers crossed and maybe in a couple weeks an Alaskan resident can have a king... I personally think it's kind of sad that it looks like Alaskan re
    sident pu fisherman are at the bottom of the totem pole

i 4 c state troopurz settin up a purminant nurthbound lane bluckade on obrien krik rd sturtin 2marrow...king surch n seizurez galore + yung muney ticket$$$☺

Fish upstream... Lol

according to hemms report fishing was slow last nite

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    according to hemms report fishing was slow last nite
    Yeah, I heard above the bridge wasn't great today, either. Water is starting to come up, though, which should help move those fish along.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast