Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: Which Holster?

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I carry CCW using the Blackhawk Serpa holsters. http://tacticalgear.com/blackhawk-se...gun-metal-grey

    A word of advice to anyone using these holsters though. DO NOT USE THE TIP OF YOUR TRIGGER FINGER to push the retention button. Simply get a good firing grip on the gun with your trigger finger along the slide like it should be. The first knuckle of your trigger finger will automatically depress the button if you have good form and you won't risk dropping your booger hook into the trigger guard as soon as it clears the holster. These are very safe holsters if you keep good form. We had a ND because of a very experienced shooter using the tip of his finger to press the button. He was lucky he didn't shoot himself in the leg.
    I could never do it right. Then, MY name would be "mud", an Improvement I don't deserve.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    This thread has been informative, coupled with the guided research I've done on the Internet.

    I'm still considering a possible CC holster for the 45.

    I have 2 holsters on order for a Walther P22.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  3. #23
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    OK Vafudar, I received the Thumb Break Kit from Safariland, today.

    It is an Improvement over the flap, for access, anyway. It is less complex, EXCEPT for getting it installed. Musta took me a Half Hour to figure it out.

    The way the flap works is secure, but I daresay, different than what most civilians are used to.

    With the Thumb Break, I should be able draw and Miss sooner.

    Thanks Again

    Smitty of the North

    Glad it worked out. The first time I ever installed one of those was a real pain. They have worked well for me.

    I have learned a lot on these forums, so it is nice to make even a minor contribution back.

  4. #24
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    IMHO, most pancake holster are way too high for me to reach in a hurry, or maybe, at 69 my flexibility isn't what it used to be? I do like a shoulder/chest carry for my concealed carry.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    IMHO, most pancake holster are way too high for me to reach in a hurry, or maybe, at 69 my flexibility isn't what it used to be? I do like a shoulder/chest carry for my concealed carry.
    Steve
    I agree with the chest holster.

    I've liked the pancake, because the design holds the gun closer to my body, and as to being High, that makes it easier to conceal, if that's your goal.

    On the other hand it may not be the best choice for field carry. I'm sure it would suffice, though.
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    Well, Vets:

    Do you remember the Army Tanker Holster from WWII?

    A kind of shoulder holster for the ole nineteen leven fordy five. That, should fit my SAR K2 if I'm not badly mistaken.

    Replicas of it are being made by, at least several, manufacturers. The one I ordered appears in the picture as using one strap over the opposite shoulder, bandoleer style. Others appear to have a strap over the near shoulder, and another around the chest.

    They're not cheap by any means, but reasonably priced. I'm lookin for function like with a chest holster.

    It's on the water, from Amazon.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Well, Vets:

    Do you remember the Army Tanker Holster from WWII?

    A kind of shoulder holster for the ole nineteen leven fordy five. That, should fit my SAR K2 if I'm not badly mistaken.

    Replicas of it are being made by, at least several, manufacturers. The one I ordered appears in the picture as using one strap over the opposite shoulder, bandoleer style. Others appear to have a strap over the near shoulder, and another around the chest.

    They're not cheap by any means, but reasonably priced. I'm lookin for function like with a chest holster.

    It's on the water, from Amazon.

    Smitty of the North
    I received the holster today. BOY is it stiff, and I'm oiling the leather to make my gun fit. Looks like it will work when I get the leather softened enough.

    I actually expected this, from reading the reviews on these holsters.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #28
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,560

    Default

    For right hand its one strap over left shoulder and one strap around chest with bottom strap to belt very solid and secure. Easy to choke folks out with bandoleer carry,the strap is already 3/4th around your neck.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    I like Crossbred IWB for bigger gun CCW. Glock 35 works in the one I bought for a Glock 19...just a thought for ya.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  10. #30
    Member S.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I received the holster today. BOY is it stiff, and I'm oiling the leather to make my gun fit. Looks like it will work when I get the leather softened enough.

    I actually expected this, from reading the reviews on these holsters.

    Smitty of the North
    Neatsfoot oil I hope? Usually, the stiffer leather is the better.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Neatsfoot oil I hope? Usually, the stiffer leather is the better.
    Steve
    Well, I didn't have any Neatsfoot. I've been using Hubbard's shoe oil. It seems to be helping, but it's got a ways to go, before the gun goes in and out, easy enough.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    For right hand its one strap over left shoulder and one strap around chest with bottom strap to belt very solid and secure. Easy to choke folks out with bandoleer carry,the strap is already 3/4th around your neck.
    This one is right hand,and has only one strap that goes over the right shoulder bandoleer style, for cross draw, and the bottom fastens to my waist belt.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    Amigo:
    I've no doubt the arrangement you describe is more secure.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I like Crossbred IWB for bigger gun CCW. Glock 35 works in the one I bought for a Glock 19...just a thought for ya.
    I need to tell you that my britches are all too tight for IWB holsters.

    In addition, I find them extremely uncomfortable.

    Nevertheless, I Thank You for the suggestion.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,708

    Default

    OK, the Army Tanker holster is gonna work fine. It will conceal as well as this LARGE gun will conceal.

    The Army M12 with the Thumb Break mod. will soon be joined by a web belt.

    The holster issues are done deals.

    Thanks, any who had comments or info.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •