Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Holster?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Which Holster?

For the benefit of those who do not recall my previous misadventures in 45 ACP, I wrapped the HiPoint in $5 dollar bills and gave it away. I did learn to shoot it rather well, but it didn't meet my needs. It met my expectations, and it was fun hearing all the low ratings, which of course were deserved. If you get a HiPoint, don't choose a 45.

With that all in the past, I have Moved Up to a more conventional 45 Auto, not a 1911, but a CZ clone, that is completely satisfactory.

I have a holster, a military type M12, for the M9 Army Pistol, and and intend to purchase a civilian version. I want the pancake style, and need to decide Betwixt the one that has an open top, or the one that has a thumb snap, but a lot more leather.

I would prefer the open top, but I fear it won't hold the gun securely.

What be your thoughts and experiences, regarding this important issue?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+for+SAR+K2+45

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    ...one that has an open top, or the one that has a thumb snap....
    Depends a whole lot on your lifestyle. If I was a city guy, I might could get along fine with an open top. But a bud tells the scary story of stopping his car, opening the door, unbuckling his auto-retract seat belt/chest strap, and watching his pistolla go sailing out the door.

But I'm pretty rough and tumble and mostly out in the hills. Never met an open top that would let me finish the day accompanied by my pistol. Just too much scrambling over things and crawling under things and general rolling around on the ground. There's more and more of that last bit, the older I get!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

+1 what BrownBear said. I have tipped over a canoe and been thrown out of a raft into saltwater. Without a thumb strap, I probably would have lost my pistol. For my lifestyle, a thumb snap is cheap insurance.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Thanks,
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Thanks,
    SOTN
    Latest plan, use the GI holster. It should conceal as well, especially when my Trench Coat and Sherlock Holmes cap arrives. The cap is for extra magazines.

Thanks Again
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Many of the high quality open top holsters have retaining tension screws that allow the gun to be very difficult to dislodge accidentally. If really worried about retention in muck and dirt- a cavalry style flap holster works well too.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Many of the high quality open top holsters have retaining tension screws that allow the gun to be very difficult to dislodge accidentally. If really worried about retention in muck and dirt- a cavalry style flap holster works well too.
    OK, Thanks.

The Army holster has a flap.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

OK, Thanks.

The Army holster has a flap.

SOTN
    I have a couple of those open top ones that are plastic molded in the shape of the gun and hold it tight. I don't like either one. they are hard to hide. I have a plastic holster that came with my Canik TP9sf and it has a lock mechanism that you push with your trigger finger as your pulling the gun. I wore it wood cutting yesterday and it was fine. It doesn't conceal well but I got this gun brand new for less than $300, holster and all. I don't care if shows out in the wooly woods. I have got to have something soft for CC and it needs to be secure on top.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have a couple of those open top ones that are plastic molded in the shape of the gun and hold it tight. I don't like either one. they are hard to hide. I have a plastic holster that came with my Canik TP9sf and it has a lock mechanism that you push with your trigger finger as your pulling the gun. I wore it wood cutting yesterday and it was fine. It doesn't conceal well but I got this gun brand new for less than $300, holster and all. I don't care if shows out in the wooly woods. I have got to have something soft for CC and it needs to be secure on top.
    Very good, Suh.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

OK, Thanks. The Army holster has a flap. SOTN
    You can get a thumb break kit for the M12. It replaces the flap.

Quote Originally Posted by vafudar View Post
    You can get a thumb break kit for the M12. It replaces the flap.
    OK, I found it. I'll order one and "extend my mission capabilities ".

Thanks, I didn't know this option existed.

https://www.safariland.com/products/...m92-10882.html

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Kramer Horse Hide for IWB and OWB belt scabbards and the IWB Executive Companion from Milt Sparks. Horse hide holster's are thin and hold their shape forever. Tulster or U.S. Grunt Gear Holsters for synthetic like kydex material and their mag. pouches.

I like retention devices on a duty holster but other then a tension screw I have no use for them for every day civilian carry. The one exception is the Guides Choice chest holster for my .44. It has a tension screw and a thumb strap that I seldom use.

Kramer Holsters are costly, but I like them better then any other leather holster I have ever tried.

I have never had a hand gun come out of any of these holsters unless I drew it. I also don't rock climb, run rapids, sky dive or bull ride!

I crawl over, under, around heavy equipment and semi-trucks every day. When I am driving, I am in and out of the truck a dozen times a day. I use a DeSantis Speed Scabbord open top holster. I have NEVER had my pistol get loose from this holster. I have had similar experiences with several other quality leather holsters. For open carry I prefer a retention holster like one of the many Safariland ALS holsters.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

There is a SA XD .45 laying in a mud hole some were on baldy mountain. Thankfully it wasnt mine 😅. Open top type holster. I use a Blackhawk Serpa, although not a real good concelment holster it works for now with a coat or long shirt. I also have a bulldog fanny pack style holster. Again, not perfect but it works. I'm looking at a crossbreed holster for my lil XDmod2.

I'm checking out all the brands mentioned. I'm leaning toward some kinda retention.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I bought one of the Exodus Gunleather horse hide open top holsters IWB for a 4" 1911 and will never go back to anything else for CC. It holds the pistol very secure, I have been tipped upside down in alders and it held secure. Super comfortable all day long and disappears under a T-shirt. Yes they are pricy, but they are worth it.
    https://exodusgunleather.com/

I have seen several OC in the valley, not my choice of carry.

An "Open Top" Pancake style holster does have "retention". It's inherent in the design of the holster in the way it "pancakes" and holds the gun firmly when worn properly with a good belt. A quality pancake holster takes a pretty good yank to get the gun out. I suppose it could fall out but it would take being hung by your ankles and shaken firmly
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I am an admitted holster snob. I usually have more then one type of holster for a hand gun. My 1911 has a Kramer Horse Hide IWB and OWB belt scabbard and a Miami Classic Shoulder holster.

The Serpa Holsters have good retention, I am leery of it though as I quit mine for the Glock 19 as I kept missing the release tab when going for the speed draw. Some stuff on the Serpa on You Tube is not favorable, but I wonder if most of it, including me is not operator error.

For several years I was required to wear a Level III retention holster, with training one can get fast with that type of a holster, but I was always faster with a Level I holster.

The Tulster Holster is an open top Kydex like material made for a specific hand gun and one would have to work hard to get the hand gun to accidently come out. Insert the hand gun and turn the holster upside down and try to shake the gun out and it becomes quickly apparent the gun is in there until it is drawn by the shooter. I personally trust the Tulster holster for any field carry of a semi auto pistol.

I also do not believe most "thumb breaks" are that reliable of a retention device as I have yet to see one that is not easily defeated. I trust a form fitted holster and a tension screw on the holster more then a thumb break.

I also think a lanyard that can be attached at the users discretion is a good idea. Worked for the mounted cavalry!

OK, I found it. I'll order one and "extend my mission capabilities ".

Thanks, I didn't know this option existed.

https://www.safariland.com/products/...m92-10882.html

Smitty of the North
    OK Vafudar, I received the Thumb Break Kit from Safariland, today.

It is an Improvement over the flap, for access, anyway. It is less complex, EXCEPT for getting it installed. Musta took me a Half Hour to figure it out.

The way the flap works is secure, but I daresay, different than what most civilians are used to.

With the Thumb Break, I should be able draw and Miss sooner.

Thanks Again

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I carry CCW using the Blackhawk Serpa holsters. http://tacticalgear.com/blackhawk-se...gun-metal-grey

A word of advice to anyone using these holsters though. DO NOT USE THE TIP OF YOUR TRIGGER FINGER to push the retention button. Simply get a good firing grip on the gun with your trigger finger along the slide like it should be. The first knuckle of your trigger finger will automatically depress the button if you have good form and you won't risk dropping your booger hook into the trigger guard as soon as it clears the holster. These are very safe holsters if you keep good form. We had a ND because of a very experienced shooter using the tip of his finger to press the button. He was lucky he didn't shoot himself in the leg.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast