Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 K-bay crabbing season

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have the gear and the knowledge.
    If you ever want to bring your boat down I would be happy to show you what it is about.
    Last time it was open I did good early in the season but bombed after October. I'll be out there a few times during duck season and have already been freezing salmon carcasses. I hope with the later opening it lasts. I thought opening in July last time was questionable at best

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Looking over F&G website. Old links from this thread do not lead to the Tanner Crab information anymore. Can't seem to find any info on where to get a permit or if the season is really going to open October 1st?

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Looking over F&G website. Old links from this thread do not lead to the Tanner Crab information anymore. Can't seem to find any info on where to get a permit or if the season is really going to open October 1st?
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../820311503.pdf

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Went in to F&G today. The regs are not totally correct. The permits will be available online, not at the three offices the regs mention. The permits should be available early September.

I have the gear and the knowledge.
    If you ever want to bring your boat down I would be happy to show you what it is about.
    My wife has a house in Homer so we're planning to spend a lot of time down there this winter. I'm planning to pick up a pot this fall and haul our boat down for the winter. Care to share any guidance on what I should be doing? I've shrimped PWS for years but never crabbed. Perhaps we'll see you on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    My wife has a house in Homer so we're planning to spend a lot of time down there this winter. I'm planning to pick up a pot this fall and haul our boat down for the winter. Care to share any guidance on what I should be doing? I've shrimped PWS for years but never crabbed. Perhaps we'll see you on the water.
    Well I won't share everything here I will post a few tips.
    I have tried different pots and found the 4x4 pyramid pots from the gear shed in Homer to do the best.
    I use two kinds of bait just like the guys on deadliest catch.
    I bought an old meat grinder at a garage sale and use it to grind up a secret bait mix. Then I also hang Salmon or Cod carcasses in the pot. I think the oily smelly bait in the jars draws them in but the sight of other crabs eating the carcasses makes them commit to entering the pot and makes them want to stay.
    I have bait jars attached to longline clips so I simply snap a jar into the pot. Fill them and keep and frozen in baggies at home pull out a jar remove baggie and just snap it in.
    I also have longline snaps with mending twine attached with loops on the end. Wrap some carcasses in the twine and back through the loop cinch tight and snap into the other side of the pot.
    Buy the proper crab measure stick and have a spare handy just in case. So much better and easier so you don't make mistakes. Learn to use it! Measure the crab from behind not from the top!
    Buy the correct size measure stick not the kind that has the different steps in it. You want the one that only measures the legal size for Tanner crab 4.5". Do not rely on a tape measure as a minor mistake can cost you as the trooper will be waiting at the docks in Homer at times and they will measure very carefully. They sometimes used my measure stick but sometimes had their own.
    Watch out for other buoys. When we fished it last some guys only had a couple old green and black bullet buoys marking their pots and this makes them very hard to see in rough weather or foggy days etc. It is easy to set on top of them if your not careful.
    You will not find a legal size female crab but learn to identify them and release quickly with the minimum of handling for the future of this fishery.
    When I think of some more tips I'll post them.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Sounds like their will be a tanner fishery this october in K-Bay. Like has been said before one pot per boat & 3 crab per person. I will have some of my folding Tanner pots available aprox July 1st.
    Hey Steve do you have any Loomis style crab measure gauges that are 4.5" in stock?
    I have several 5.5" but would like to get one that meets the new regulations.
    I checked several online sites and Loomis doesn't make a 4.5" just every other size.lol
    Can't seem to find one that I like by searching online.
    I might just have to make a couple out of scrap aluminum if I can't find one. But it is nice to have a manufactured one so when the troopers jump on my boat again they know I have a legal measuring tool.

Hey Steve do you have any Loomis style crab measure gauges that are 4.5" in stock?
    I have several 5.5" but would like to get one that meets the new regulations.
    I checked several online sites and Loomis doesn't make a 4.5" just every other size.lol
    Can't seem to find one that I like by searching online.
    I might just have to make a couple out of scrap aluminum if I can't find one. But it is nice to have a manufactured one so when the troopers jump on my boat again they know I have a legal measuring tool.
    sorry chris i don't have any, just go ahead and make one it will be better than anything you can buy.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Anyone know where I could find one of the old Jap pots?

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    Anyone know where I could find one of the old Jap pots?
    The Gear Shed in Homer makes a version of this.
    Or at least they did. I am currently using their 4x4 pot. It works the best of those I have tried.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The Gear Shed in Homer makes a version of this.
    Or at least they did. I am currently using their 4x4 pot. It works the best of those I have tried.

Thanks bud for all the help. I'll probably continue to pick your brain as we get closer if you don't mind.

On that subject, any idea how much those pots cost at the Gear Shed? I've got a line on a used one but no idea if it's a good deal.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Thanks bud for all the help. I'll probably continue to pick your brain as we get closer if you don't mind.

On that subject, any idea how much those pots cost at the Gear Shed? I've got a line on a used one but no idea if it's a good deal.

Thanks again.
    I believe I paid $125 for a 4x4 pyramid pot iirc but that was in 2008.
    Tried their 3x3 and one of Steve's pots and will now run the gear shed 4x4 exclusively.
    You would have to call them to be sure they are still making them and have them in stock.
    In 08 I had to get on a waiting list because the fishery had just opened after many years being closed and demand was high.
    They are well made and fish well. Plus I know they are made to legal regs.
    Make sure any pot you buy meets the legal regs especially older pots from before 2008.

Printed off my Permit today

Gotten juveniles in my shrimp pots before, but curious if anyone has any tips about depth/topography/etc. to look for to target the crabs?

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12