Thread: Flood lights - reflection off bow rails

Default Flood lights - reflection off bow rails

I have talked to a few people who seem to all have the same problem with seeing at night due to the amount of back in your face reflection off the bow rails when the big lights are on.

Curious if anyone has found a good way to combat this. I am close to painting the inside of my rails with a flat gray or black color to see if it fixes it.

Anyone ever try this or anything else that helped?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

They best option is to relocate the light to furthest point on the bow

I was going to ask the same question when I got back to town today. I was told by someone that if you paint the bow rails flat black it will not reflect back. I just can't bring myself to painting them.

I put black duct tape on the rails to test the theory. I thought it worked pretty well. I will be painting my rails this Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Curious if anyone has found a good way to combat this. I am close to painting the inside of my rails with a flat gray or black color to see if it fixes it.
    Dunno about gray, but flat black works great. Pretty standard around here on commercial boats with crab lights. Problem I see with trying to fix it by relocating the light, there's still too much spilled light when the light is mounted 20' above the house on a mast, so not much hope of beating it shifting around a cabin mount.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Hi I am interested in putting flood lights on my 50' delta. What type of lights do you guys recommend? LED? Halogen? Are ther any specific brands that are better than others? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    I put black duct tape on the rails to test the theory. I thought it worked pretty well. I will be painting my rails this Summer.

I thought about trying that. I am thinking about just painting the inside of the rails, maybe it won't look so funny outside the boat then.

Quote Originally Posted by Benrains View Post
    Hi I am interested in putting flood lights on my 50' delta. What type of lights do you guys recommend? LED? Halogen? Are ther any specific brands that are better than others? Thanks
    Led, amazon.......look for "eyourlife" brand.
    Excellent lights and very reasonable.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I thought about trying that. I am thinking about just painting the inside of the rails, maybe it won't look so funny outside the boat then.
    Might be kind of hard to figure out exactly where the halfs should meet. You also get reflection off the Anchor mount/pulpit and anything else shiny up there. The rail reflection is the worst part though. I think Ill just paint the whole rail.
    MMSI#

Yeah. And the angle from starboard person to port person is different too. I have those light force lights but really want to upgrade to a couple 10" led light bars but there is no way I could see until I get these bow rails figured out.

A remote rail mounted flood light on the bow is the only way to go, that or night vision goggles.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Give the lights "underlids"

Put some plastic or something like the brim of the hat for the lights, but under the lights instead of on top.

I cut out some Folgers lids an wrapped them on the lights with electrical tape... temp fix lasted 3 years.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A small sheet of aluminum under a light bar will do the same thing.

I considered putting the lights out on the rail but could not come up with a configuration I liked better then just painting the rails. I use the rails out there when anchoring and retrieving the anchor so the light bar/ bars would be in the way, not to mention the wiring and trying to get the lights pointed in the direction I wanted.

MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Give the lights "underlids"

Put some plastic or something like the brim of the hat for the lights, but under the lights instead of on top.

I cut out some Folgers lids an wrapped them on the lights with electrical tape... temp fix lasted 3 years.
    I have heard about that. I think that my bow rails are too high so the light wouldn't actually hit the water for 100 feet in front of me potentially. Might be worth a try though.

you could cut some cardboard to experiment with for depth
    ....was going to suggest the "under lids" also... see it on lights mounted on the roofs

Sandblast the rails. Will take care of the shine and actually make the handrail a handrail.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978