Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seasons open... but what about the snow?

Default Seasons open... but what about the snow?

Got my barrel out in 20B but there's so much snow still. I'm not sure if it's worth baiting for anger week or two. Anyone in 20B have their site baited yet? Have you been out and seen any tracks or sign that their out? Looking around the area and there isn't anything for them to eat and pass the plug yet. Saw a couple of south east bears taken already. Good luck to everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Soldotna at my place the snow went from 3 feet to 6" in about a week, the water has to be running into the dens, they should be out real soon up here. Under the trees all the snow is gone.

I didnt even try to get out to mine this weekend. Even when I have been able to get it out early I never have anything on it until the third week of May and usually plan on Memorial Day weekend as a good start time for hunting. Last year it got hot then cooled down and rained again so we pulled the plug last week of June and it had just started to get good but I shifted gears to other things. Every year is different and to me this winter and spring seem more normal so hopefully we can all get some bears down! My 10 year old has a itchy finger this year! Stay safe out there!

I went out on the 15th to my station in 20B, baited her up real nice and I been back twice a day since but no bears. I am wondering if I'll ever have any luck with the bears, this is my 3rd year trying and I am about ready to just throw in the towel. I am using mainly licorice and bread if that matters. I didn't see any other baiters In my spot so that's good. My BIL borrowed my ATV and hasn't gotten it back to me, I am gonna need that beast to get my bait out of the woods if I pull it this weekend. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfighter View Post
    I went out on the 15th to my station in 20B, baited her up real nice and I been back twice a day since but no bears. I am wondering if I'll ever have any luck with the bears, this is my 3rd year trying and I am about ready to just throw in the towel. I am using mainly licorice and bread if that matters. I didn't see any other baiters In my spot so that's good. My BIL borrowed my ATV and hasn't gotten it back to me, I am gonna need that beast to get my bait out of the woods if I pull it this weekend. Any advice?
    I'm not an expert, so hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. I think it's a bit early to pull the plug on your station considering the bears aren't even out of dens yet. Also, you might want to stay away and let the trail camera do the work for you. It seems like a lot of work to check a station twice a day for the whole season.

I dont have a camera on it, i just check it twice a day cause its on the way to and from work so i quick slip in there and check on it.

I dont have a camera on it, i just check it twice a day cause its on the way to and from work so i quick slip in there and check on it.
    Let it sit without checking it so much, plus it's early. And you'll want more than just bait, hang something in the trees that smells and let the wind carry that scent (in case you aren't).

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

its waaaaay too early to pull the plug, in fact, I rarely even bother to put the bait out till after May 1. If I were you, I'd stay out of there for a while. Check it once every 4 or 5 days at the most, but understand that it's generally well into May before bears get active at bait sites.

I jus don't know fellas. I know it's early, so we know that and I saw that Eva Shockey's dad took a great inland black bear last week, but he used a honey burn and I ain't about to try and do that. Unless you think it would work well? Is it too dry for that you think? Anyhow, I can't pull the bait yet neither way unless my BIL gets me my ATV back, I guess that's a blessing in disguys. Do early bears in the spring have trichinosis fresh out of the den usually? When I check the bait I just look for hair on the rubbing post and tracks in the mud, but a camera may be a good bet, which one should I look at?

In 20B between 2005-2012 there have been 2 bears shot between October 1 and April 30. that's 2 in a 7 year period. You really need to leave your bait out until June.

my first year baiting we set up in April and didn't get hit until late June (a big grizz hit it) just because it doesn't happen immediately doesn't mean it won't happen.

AK Ducks, have you had much luck on the bears in the FAI area? My BIL does darn good, but he won't share a dern thing with me for secrets. His wife likes bear meat she says and wants to hoard all the secrets, so I just wing it. Where do you find they bear statisitics for FAI and dates for bears killed, tht would have been good info 3 years ago when I started this gravy operation. I guess I'll leave it out there in the bush, but will likely need a swamp buggy to retreieve it if the snow melts much more. Ladder stand or the dog house ground blind? That's up for debate now boys, what's your GO TO stand setup boys?

I had my baits out April 15th. Used a lot of bait em 907 scent balls and attractants to really telegraph my station. Gonna let them sit for a month or more before I go back to check them I think.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have put bait out for the last few years April 15th...no bears come into it until about May 10th and on...like clockwork. WAAAAAY to early to give up.

Also checking it so often aka twice a day will deter the bears from going in and if they do it will probably be the darkest time of night aka 2a.m.

Third, Jim Shockeys may have just shot a bear, but how it is also much more spring like down south, even 300-400 miles. FWIW, honey burns do wonders, just clear an area about 3square feet of brush and leaves and flammable material and have at it, use a cheap propane stove with a can.

Lastly, get a trail camera if you are going to be serious about it.
    I have Stealthcam 42's they work great and are under $100 on amazon I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will also highly recommend the bait em 907 products.
    The bears will go nuts trying to get that stuff.
    I tried the anise bear bell and they went nuts trying to get it. Even ate the dirt it dripped on when it rained.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I jus don't know fellas. I know it's early, so we know that and I saw that Eva Shockey's dad took a great inland black bear last week, but he used a honey burn and I ain't about to try and do that. Unless you think it would work well? Is it too dry for that you think? Anyhow, I can't pull the bait yet neither way unless my BIL gets me my ATV back, I guess that's a blessing in disguys. Do early bears in the spring have trichinosis fresh out of the den usually? When I check the bait I just look for hair on the rubbing post and tracks in the mud, but a camera may be a good bet, which one should I look at?
    To answer your trichinosis question, if a bear has it, it doesn't go away in the winter then reappear. If they have it, they have it, if they don't, they don't. At least that's my understanding. Cook all your bear meat to 165 and be on the safe side.

What I do is stuff the hole of the barrel with logs, that way when I walk up to the bait, I know something is hitting it. A bear will rip those logs out no problem.

Early season isn't about sitting and hunting. Its about getting bears to the station. Put the bait in, then start radiating out from the bait in all directions, setting up scent wicks and scenting up any incoming trails with attractive smells. May 19th in Palmer is my earliest bear, and they had been out for over a month. The blackies just don't seem to get real serious about baits at first.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I had my baits out April 15th. Used a lot of bait em 907 scent balls and attractants to really telegraph my station. Gonna let them sit for a month or more before I go back to check them I think.
    I wouldn't. We checked my dads bait this last Friday, he set out barrel previous Saturday on the 15th. It was hit at 8pm on the 15th! No kidding. Crazy, never been hit that early. Nice size Brown too! It's more of a normal year w the heavier snow fall amounts. So........ just an FYI. Good luck everyone!

He tried to burry barrel and broke branches off trees n brush to help cover barrel. Never seen that before and kinda spooky. I think this pic is when he started piling up snow. He ate 4/5 of the barrel of bait, 55gal over pack barrel, I think 65gal it would b called. Already nocturnal I think from other setting up in the area and or checking their baits.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    He tried to burry barrel and broke branches off trees n brush to help cover barrel. Never seen that before and kinda spooky. I think this pic is when he started piling up snow. He ate 4/5 of the barrel of bait, 55gal over pack barrel, I think 65gal it would b called. Already nocturnal I think from other setting up in the area and or checking their baits.

From what I understand bears will burry food as a way of marking it as theirs and hiding it from others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast