Thread: Therma Rest Prolite 3

Wink Therma Rest Prolite 3

Any one have any backpacking experience with these? I've always used the ridge rest, and am doubtful of the inflating types. Do they let you down?? Thanks Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I have been using Therma Rest self-inflating pads for 20+ years and have been very happy with them. I've had to repair a couple leaks over the years. Usually my fault, such as useing them directly on the ground as a chair or tying them to the outside of my pack w/o any protection and a leaky valve that Therma Rest replaced. As I've gotten older I've lightened the load I carry. I now use the light weight style (1" thick) full length, but may go to a 3/4 length pad to shed a few more ounces. There are a few new ground pads I would like to look at if I get a chance.

Woody

Thumbs up

My climbing partner in Aspen has one of these and we used it on a significant climb we did in that area a few years ago.
    He had one for him and I used a different mat. He was warm all night and I downright froze.
    I decided to look up some stats for you on it:
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS...swatch=CAS0237
    It looks as if your reviews on that link are pretty darn good too. I don't think that it gets any better than that.
    I saw another question on this on www.summitpost.org and the reviews were pretty good.
    I hope that helps.
    Lurker.

Default Thermarest

I have two of the 1.5" pads; they definately are comfy and keep the ground cold off you. The only downside I have found is that they are only about 22" wide and that's just not enough for me to get a good nights sleep on since I sleep on my side most of the time, with my knees bent. I'm 6' and 190 lbs but if they made wider one I'd get it.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    Any one have any backpacking experience with these? I've always used the ridge rest, and am doubtful of the inflating types. Do they let you down?? Thanks Bill
    I've used self-inflating pads for years. ThermaRest are the only ones I trust. The cheapo brands haven't held up. Currently I have a full-length ThermaRest that's kind of king-size for use when weight and size don't matter, and a compact model that folds and rolls and will fit inside a Folgers coffee can. That one is narrower and only 3/4 length but I like it for the advantage of the small carry size and light weight.

Thumbs up Check out the Big Agnes pads.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperrick View Post
    I have two of the 1.5" pads; they definately are comfy and keep the ground cold off you. The only downside I have found is that they are only about 22" wide and that's just not enough for me to get a good nights sleep on since I sleep on my side most of the time, with my knees bent. I'm 6' and 190 lbs but if they made wider one I'd get it.
    Big Agnes make the insulated air core in a 25 inch wide model. I have one of the mummy style, 72 inch I think. I like the 2.5 inches between me and the ground. Rocks disappear.

http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?id=ia
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Wink

Thanks for your inputs! I"ve been using the ridgrest which is bombproof, but am looking at the prolite 3, far less volume to pack but a little more weight. They cost lots more, and I have nightmares, about a puncture, and then sleeping on the cold hard frozen ground. Thought i'de ask how others made out with these types before I took the plunge! Thanks Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I have the Pro-lite 3 for sheep hunting and use it with a Ridgerest for moose hunting. Never had a problem with it. If weight isn't a concern I'd check into the Pro-lite 4.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default went camping

I thought about this post yesterday. I decided to go camping and quickly grabbed my things and headed up the road about 200 miles. I forgot several little details, one of which included my ground pad. It was absolutely miserable. Forgetting it one time is enough for you to never do it again. I camped out on the waterfront at Homer a couple of years ago. The sign said "soft beach sand"; LOL, the only time it was soft was when I was trying to drive my 4wd car out of it. I snuggled myself into the sand at first but when I got sleepy and turned on my side, the sand had turned to concrete. I wound up going to the Driftwood Inn at about 1 a.m. Did I mention the moron that thought he was John Frickin' Denver? Playing his guitar at midnight and everybody else trying to sleep.

Wink

Trapperrick you just reminded me why i"ll get as far away from the John Denver types as I can!

I have the pro-lite 3 in full-length and here are my two cents. I paid $90 for a Thermarest product, partly for the name and partly for the compactness (it's about the size of a 1L Nalgene rolled up). It's pretty durable; I've only had to patch it once in two years.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the REI store brand inflatable sleeping pad, 1.5 inches thick. It's about $65. Several of my friends have either that or the Mountain Equipment Co-op one that's identical except Canadian-made. The extra half-inch of padding makes lots of difference in comfort in my opinion, and it's cheaper, and the only drawback is it doesn't pack up quite as tightly (about 40-50% larger in volume - not bad).