Thread: Warm temps, deeper water for shrimp?

Default Warm temps, deeper water for shrimp?

If anyone watches Deadliest Catch, the crabbers have all shifted to deeper waters as ocean temperatures have warmed up. I noticed last year, the warmest water temperatures that I have ever seen out on PWS.

Does anyone think that warmer temperatures are going to have an affect on our shrimping this year? If so, is deeper going to be better? I know that in some bays I have to go 500 feet deep.

Any thoughts?

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

I dunno! What is the water temp. this time of year? I do know that the later in the summer the deeper I go for about the same catch.

We dropped around 350' all weekend and did ok. I go deeper as the summer warms up, but 350 usually does well early in the season.

I pulled this morning and must of dropped on a school of crab. Got 35-40 of them with no season on them. So I moved.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

We have always dropped a little deeper and done well. Usually play around with depth, easier when we used to run a string with three pots, but even this past weekend, we found better catch numbers deeper.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

i would like to say i have found a difference but i have not. even looking at my logs back years i cant find a correlation but maybe there is one. i set in so many different places and depths exploring its difficult for me to define between conditions and pressure in a specific area as being a causational factor. i have done well in areas where others have said that it is a barren wasteland, and have done not so good in spots others have had great numbers on. does anyone run a depth temp sensor?