Thread: Wenonah Canoe comparison

Default Wenonah Canoe comparison

I'm looking at getting a Wenonah canoe. Likely the Spirit II vs Kingfisher. I was interested in any input people may have.

My primary use is Alaska lakes and class I rivers for fishing, just getting out, and maybe some camping/touring (not expedition).

I looked at at those two based on availability at the store I'm looking at. Another option is the Aurora which is 16', but just a foot shorter than the Spirit II.

Thanks for any guidance!

Spirit II or the Prospector 16 would be my choice. The Kingfisher is a wide stable lake canoe, slower to paddle though.
    The T formex version is supposed to be available now.

For what you describe, I would prefer the Spirit II. It will move faster, track better, and carry more of a load. This is kind of a one size fits all boat- a good versatile boat. I wouldn't want to go any shorter (Kingfisher) in a tandem boat than 17'. Now if you were going to be hunting ducks in shallow sloughs or paddling tight little streams, then the Kingfisher may be better. Both boats will have plenty of maneuverability for class 1 rapids since they both have similar rocker. The Prospector, as pipercub mentioned is a great boat, but really intended for white water river use not lakes.

I have not paddled the Spirit II or Kingfisher but I do have a Mad River very similar to the Spirit II dimensions. Paddled many Wenonahs and can say they make a good boat.

I have had a Spirit II since about 2004. Mostly paddled on lakes but some class I water. I think of it as a 'do it all OK' boat. One thing it does not do very well with is solo paddling with little weight in the canoe, it tends to sail a bit in the wind, loaded it does fine. We have put quite a few miles on the canoe and we have been really happy with it.

[QUOTE=BeaV;1590669]For what you describe, I would prefer the Spirit II. It will move faster, track better, and carry more of a load. This is kind of a one size fits all boat- a good versatile boat. I wouldn't want to go any shorter (Kingfisher) in a tandem boat than 17'. Now if you were going to be hunting ducks in shallow sloughs or paddling tight little streams, then the Kingfisher may be better. Both boats will have plenty of maneuverability for class 1 rapids since they both have similar rocker. The Prospector, as pipercub mentioned is a great boat, but really intended for white water river use not lakes.

I would not refer to the Wenonah Prospector as a "whitewater canoe" with only 2.5" of rocker and a narrow tapered bow.