Thread: Observations of this Year..What type, make , of machines

Default Observations of this Year..What type, make , of machines

Just a thought, in my travels up and down the trail this year, watching mostly the work machines, seems like i see more Arctic Cats than any other, pulling the big sleds.. 5 Years ago it was more Skandic's .. Did Cat, finnally step up to plate and build a better utilty machine? or was it cost, dealer support, or all of the above.. What you all think?

Were you seeing older or newer Arctic Cats? I currently have the 08 and 09 Skandic wide tracks but probably will go with the 20" wide Bearcat when I upgrade.

[QUOTE=polardds;1589523]Were you seeing older or newer Arctic Cats? I currently have the 08 and 09 Skandic wide tracks but probably will go with the 20" wide Bearcat when I upgrade.[/QUOTE
    I asume that they would be newer models because i didn't see may of them 5 years ago. Maybe 4-1 in favor of Ski Doo.. This Year 4-1 favor of the Cats, I am still on my 09 SWT v-800...

I love mine. I have the 08 and 09 SWT. I forget that Skandi makes a 20" wide and 24" wide models.

The bear cat is one of the most comfortable rides I have ever been on stock out of the box. I ride in low temps so I shied away from the 4 strokes but have been amazed at the loads I can haul with the 570 fan. Don't have to worry about low snow conditions either with the fan cooled. Pulling the groomer, the freight sled or hauling logs it has done awesome and I darn sure don't baby it.

Mine is a 2013 Bearcat 570 standard track and I LOVE it. I'll be buying another one in a heart beat whenever this one dies. I haul material and firewood all winter and run a brutal trapline. I am not nice what so ever to it and I have never had a issue. 4700 miles and still on the same highfax. Have a brutal trip planned this weekend going for bears and plan on changing the belt for the first time if I feel like it. Brad at Anchorage Arctic cat is the man!

Heard good things about the cat widetracks, but would spend my money on a skidoo wt with the 900 ACE if I was buying a WT. I have the 900 in the sport expedition and hands down the best machine I've ever owned.

Out of 5 guys that I ride with, 4 are running Skandic WT or SWT. One rides a Bearcat. His fuel consumption sucks compared to the ACE and ETEC engines. I ride a WT 600 ACE and love it. My last load was over 1,000 lbs for 50 plus miles. I didn't need to refuel going or coming back.

I got a chance to spend a day on a SWT with the 600 ETEC and loved that engine also. Faster starts and response. It uses a bit more fuel than the ACE, but is pretty comparable. My 600 ACE is as much power as I need. I would like to ride a 900 someday to compare them.

My money goes to SkiDoo.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I guess what started me thinking about all this,is parts.I broke a rear spring on my 09 SWT and could not find any in Alaska , i had to order them. So there i am down a machine for 5 days in prime time. Same thing happined in the 80's with the Alpines til you just couldn't even find parts anymore. In the 90's i jumped over to Polaris Lx's and GT's. which i still have. The reason for Polaris back then, instead of Bearcat was the high /low tranny that cat didn't have.That was the deal breaker for me ..than. I tried to retire the Lx and Gt,{hard to find parts for these to} that my girlfriend still was riding,bought her a used 2011 Skandic WT 600 Ace.. I really like that machine..Not a torque master, but quite a capable machine,as others said best milage of any snowmachine i ever been on. It pulled 1000lbs around easy and i didn't even know the fan wasn't on ,until i read on Doo Talk about the fuse, no overheating problem at all ... So they all seem to have there problems, How about the Cats how to they hold up?How hard is it to find parts ?

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    I guess what started me thinking about all this,is parts.I broke a rear spring on my 09 SWT and could not find any in Alaska , i had to order them. So there i am down a machine for 5 days in prime time. Same thing happined in the 80's with the Alpines til you just couldn't even find parts anymore. In the 90's i jumped over to Polaris Lx's and GT's. which i still have. The reason for Polaris back then, instead of Bearcat was the high /low tranny that cat didn't have.That was the deal breaker for me ..than. I tried to retire the Lx and Gt,{hard to find parts for these to} that my girlfriend still was riding,bought her a used 2011 Skandic WT 600 Ace.. I really like that machine..Not a torque master, but quite a capable machine,as others said best milage of any snowmachine i ever been on. It pulled 1000lbs around easy and i didn't even know the fan wasn't on ,until i read on Doo Talk about the fuse, no overheating problem at all ... So they all seem to have there problems, How about the Cats how to they hold up?How hard is it to find parts ?
    Im curious as to how the new 2018 Polaris Titan is going to do compared to the other crossover workhorse/play machines. 20" 155 track, high/low range with a 1200lb towing capacity. Sounds impressive on paper...
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Ok, Lets talk about Maintenance. So if you own a Doo, a v-800 SWT, you have to suck the oil out of engine/and tranny, no way to get any plug.Filter ok to get to. Oh, by the way there is a hidden grease cert, end of shaft, behind muffler,you have to remove muffler to get to.Now on too the new to me Doo 2011 WT 600 ace, Tranny seem easy enough, all tho u have, two different size's hex and a star bit. The engine oil has panel underneath and two plugs to remove to drain {3 different size star and hex's. }Cool, better than sucking it out . The filter. well, you have to remove muffler and get at least the top exhaust pipe out of the way to clear, to get filter up out of hole. Really ... all doable, but what a pain .. How about you Cat guy's.. The 1200 hundred, do you have to do all that to change engine oil and Tranny.. ?