Thread: SW AK Rivers w/ gravel bars

Default SW AK Rivers w/ gravel bars

Hello,

Planning a trip to SW Ak from anchorage and have been searching for info on rivers I can access with a cub on bushwheels. The majority of operations out there seem to be running floats and accessing rivers by boat. The Alagnak area seems to have some gravel that allows access to river hop and camp for a week to wade rivers with a fly rod. Additionally if there are any locations to rent boats from to allow easier access would be great to know as well.

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

You can land at Portage Creek on the Nush and rent a boat from Chris Carr. We have tried camping under the wing and Chris promptly told us it is not allowed but if we would just pay him $$ we could throw a tent up on his land.

You can also land in Igiugig and rent a boat from one of the Salmon sisters to run the Kvichak. In my experience you don't need a boat and just park your plane down at the far end of the strip in the approach area as far off to the side as possible and just walk down to the river. I have also camped there with no problems. There is a $15ish native trespass fee though.

4th of July time seemed to be the perfect time for hitting both the kings on the Nush and the Sockeye, trout on the kvichak.

The Alagnak has lots of braids, but not much in terms of long stable gravel bars for airplane operations unless it is a really hot summer. Or maybe I just haven't been looking at it thinking of landing a plane, so missed it...or maybe the lower stretch has more to offer. Here is what the braids look like.
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7427/9...973a7d58_b.jpg
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Thanks for the info gents!

I cant seem to find contact info online on the salmon sisters.

Troy - Thanks for the picture. The braids look horrible I don't know why anyone would fish there haha. Gorgeous. Good info on the Alagnak. Google earth can be tough to discern whats what. Ill keep looking.

As Troy said, the Alagnak above Estradas is pretty sparse for gravel bars that you could land on. I'd look more towards Western, as opposed to SouthWestern for cub friendly rivers to land on.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

There is a beautiful cinder blow near Lower Talarik Creek if you are looking to fish for trout. A few strips/blows near Stuyahok River. King Salmon River that flows into Egegik River has some sand bars but not sure what the fishing is like. Aniakchak River has some good access on blows and gravel bars down low, not a rainbow trout river but lots of Dollies and salmon.
    14 Days to Alaska

Can you tell me a little more about landing at lower Talarik Creek? Is it cub country or is there 1000' there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubs have lots of options around there, but there is a gravel blow that is 1400 feet long and a mile or so walk to the creek. I have been in there with a 172 with 850s and a 6 on the nose, and I've been in there with my PA-22 with the same setup. N59.6485 W155.5957. Looks like 1.5 mile walk. Soft enough that it will add 30 percent or more to the takeoff roll, so just because it is long, doesn't mean to see how heavy you can go in the first time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska

Default SW AK Rivers w/ gravel bars

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Thanks for the info gents!

I cant seem to find contact info online on the salmon sisters.

Troy - Thanks for the picture. The braids look horrible I don't know why anyone would fish there haha. Gorgeous. Good info on the Alagnak. Google earth can be tough to discern whats what. Ill keep looking.
    There's no fish in that river.....unless you like to catch Rainbows as long as your arm, Grayling on every cast, and the occasional Salmon. (Like every other cast). There ARE plenty of Bears wandering through your camp day and night! That's the only place I've ever had to deal with aggressive and persistent Bears. On one float trip we had two that just flat didn't want to leave us alone. One wouldn't leave until a true nine foot bear joined the party. The smaller bear wasn't afraid of us, but took off running when it saw the big one. (Saved from a bear by a bigger bear)

Even I can catch fish in those conditions....in fact I think I may have caught a record book Grayling there, although I didn't realize it until after I released the fish. I believe it was over four pounds. Sorry, no pictures....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk