Thread: New transplant needs help creating personal Flyfishing calendar

Default New transplant needs help creating personal Flyfishing calendar

I've been fortunate to relocate to Homer from Washington St. Planning for years, finally got here. I would appreciate any pointers/recommendations/resources to help me get my bearings on time of year to be on certain rivers, etc.

I was pretty dialed in Washington having grown up there. But I'm a bit lost here. Thx.

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by dloop View Post
    I've been fortunate to relocate to Homer from Washington St. Planning for years, finally got here. I would appreciate any pointers/recommendations/resources to help me get my bearings on time of year to be on certain rivers, etc.

I was pretty dialed in Washington having grown up there. But I'm a bit lost here. Thx.
    Kenai rainbows starting in mid june going through end of april. Meaning you've got three weeks till it ckoses for a month and a half to protect spawners. Kings should be returning in late may early june- july to your local pensula rivers followed by sockeye in the kasilof in june and kenai in july. Humpies and chum in there somewhere. Silver in late august through late october (even later in some cases). Steelhead in deep, ninilchik, and and anchor river sept-nov catch and release only no lifting from water.
    There's really alot of info available on your area. Some quick google searches and digging through threads will yield a ton of info. Research the drainage you are going to fish and the regs that are in place.
    The parks system off the susitna has some great trout and salmon angling as well. Have fun! Oh, and hatchery returns to the lagoon on the Homer spit too.

Thanks Troy. Great info and advice.

The Highway Angler has some good timing for all road accessible fishing.

I have that somewhere. Good idea.

Dolly Varden, pollock, cod, and feeder kings off the spit; from shore or watercraft (cataraft, motored boat, kayak). Can do that year round. Steelhead showing at Kasilof now. Any lakes as ice begins to recede from the shoreline. Rainbows are looking to spawn as soon as ice is out, but cannot successfully unless they have flowing water. Lakes planted with triploid fish have the largest fish; 30" is not uncommon, as the triploid fish waste no energy on spawning or growing eggs. They are planted as fingerlings or sub foot long catchables, so are basically wild fish as far as the fight is concerned. Check your maps for lakes with outlets and inlets, as these will lose ice the soonest.