Thread: Looking for some info on Crow Pass

Default Looking for some info on Crow Pass

Can anybody give some insight on Crow pass trail?

How much time I should alot?
    What should I take?
    Hazards?
    What is the best time to go?
    Tactics for crossing the river?

Down Range Out!

Time - Totally depends on your priorities. I've done it in everything from a day to six days. I personally think that two days is the worst option, as you need to carry overnight gear but you're moving too fast to really enjoy the place. I like taking 3-4 days so that I can spend more time exploring than just moving down the trail. My favorite option is staying more than one night in a specific spot and using the off day(s) to explore areas that rarely see visitors.

Take - Basic camping/hiking gear lists can be found elsewhere on the site. Be ready to be wet, stung by wasps, and to run into bears.

Hazards - You'll be crossing a number of very steep snow slides on the first day. It is quite common to step on wasp nests right in the middle of the trail. Bears and moose are commonly encountered at very close range. Hypothermia risk should be taken seriously when wet and cold.

Best time - Earlier has more snow up high, but the trail is more clear and the wasps are less of an issue. Later has less snow, but the trail can become overgrown up high and cow parsnip is a issue for those allergic to it.

River - It's generally not a big deal. If you're with others, link arms and move slowly. Keep the waist buckle of your pack unstrapped in case you fall and need to ditch your pack. Cross between the marked spots and you'll be fine.

I haven't done it yet, on bucket list, but attended a talk at the Eagle River Nature Center last year. Here are a couple of resources:

http://dnr.alaska.gov/Assets/uploads...s/crowpass.pdf

http://www.ernc.org/trails/crow-pass

If you have a chance, attend the trail talk.