Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nitrogen absorption...

Ok cheeser I'm back. I just spent 3 weeks at 380', 1 week travelong from 380' fsw to the surface and i never got bent... huh.. That's weird...
    Just kidding. I was just sick. But I gotta hedge my bet here a little, as I don't really want to do any work for some random scuba guy on the internet; but, if I post a bona fide dive log (over 8 hours without blowing a table-proprietary info blacked out) , I gotta win something other than me saying -told ya so... So what's in it for me? How about 24 cold coors and 2 large hawaiin pizzas from dominoes Delivered to me! Oh, and you gotta smile the whole time and call me "dark overlord". I always wanted a cool nickname.
    I was even so kind as to give a very accurate hint!

Try US NAVY table 9-7
    DENNY

Show me your dive profile, the dive tables you used and your math of nitrogen absorption based upon your dive profile. We can put the whole thing here for everyone to see.

I'm willing to learn if you show me the proof. So far all I hear back from those making claims is hot air.

Cheeser
    Have you looked at that table yet? Shayno and others are trying to help but you are stuck on the Recreational Dive Tables. Nothing wrong with them or the mandatory 10 ft stop. From a recreational standpoint keeping it simple is easier/safer, however, you can still get bent or have other issues even if you follow the conservative tables. As for hot air, show me the medical data of all the long or short term diving injuries from the Nome divers!!
    DENNY

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    Please cite where I discussed oxygen levels at altitude. Yeah, I didn't. Your entire comment above is about something that no one said in this entire thread.

My comment was about atmospheric pressure and everything I stated is 100% correct. Our entire atmosphere, from sea level to 300 miles up, is referred to as 1 atmosphere of pressure. A fellow named Evangelista Torricelli discovered that back in the 1600's so that knowledge has been around for a long, long time.

Please re-read my reply and address any points I actually made that you're having issues with.
    You're mixing apples with oranges here. It isn't 1 atmosphere, it's the atmosphere. Higher, it becomes the stratosphere, the ionosphere, etc. None of those terms relate to air pressure values.

As one dives to 30-feet (actually 29.4 feet), he may ascend without decompression. At any depth below that, he will require decompression. This exemplifies and supports the the 1/2 ATM rule.

An interesting aside: around 1969, SCUBAPRO came out with its first "Decom Meter". Worn on the wrist, this cumbersome gadget included "Mystery Element X", and was designed to aid in dive calculations as they related to decompression needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    You're mixing apples with oranges here. It isn't 1 atmosphere, it's the atmosphere. Higher, it becomes the stratosphere, the ionosphere, etc. None of those terms relate to air pressure values.

As one dives to 30-feet (actually 29.4 feet), he may ascend without decompression. At any depth below that, he will require decompression. This exemplifies and supports the the 1/2 ATM rule.

An interesting aside: around 1969, SCUBAPRO came out with its first "Decom Meter". Worn on the wrist, this cumbersome gadget included "Mystery Element X", and was designed to aid in dive calculations as they related to decompression needs.

I didn't say either of those terms (stratosphere, ionosphere) applied to pressure because I never used those terms. And as far as our entire atmosphere being 1atm of pressure that wasn't me who discovered that, it was a fellow named Torricelli hundreds of years ago.

Your statement of being able to dive to 30 feet and ascend without decompression was proven by the Navy to be false. The Navy also disproved your statement about going below 30 feet requiring decompression. Because decompression is determined not by one factor (pressure) as you seem to imply but by two factors - time and pressure. Stay at 30 feet for more than Navy dive table no decompression limits (approx 3 hours at 30 feet) and you are in decompression mode. Again, you can't change physics so whether you believe that or not means nothing.

So your two statements, both of which the Navy proved are false, do you not support this phantom "1/2 atm" rule you keep citing.

I'll ask again - please post any documentation proving this phantom '1/2 atm' rule. Because the Navy disproved everything you stated above about how pressure affects us when diving. Documentation - post it. Stop making things up and post your proof. I did. Why can't you?

This thread wins the 2017 Alaska Outdoors Forum thread of the year award for "Painful Constipation".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123