Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting little oshetna

Default Hunting little oshetna

my buddy and i have been hunting the little nelchina with little success and are going to try going over into the oshetna area and would like a couple of pointers?

I have a couple of gsp's. They're great pointers and retrievers. When do you want to go?
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

We'll be going sept. 9-15, and we all have grizzlly 660's with ITP's so we shouldn't have any issue's in that area, however that is going to be a long haul and would like a little more of an idea of what to expect and prepair for. I have talked to a few people that take jalopies back in there but they are pretty tight lipped if you know what i mean.

Default tight lipped?

Sometimes tough to find someone who will readily give info on their favotite hunting spots? Big O, long trip, water levels change pretty quickly even in Sept. Shoot a griz if you can.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKRAZY1 View Post
    We'll be going sept. 9-15, and we all have grizzlly 660's with ITP's so we shouldn't have any issue's in that area, however that is going to be a long haul and would like a little more of an idea of what to expect and prepair for. I have talked to a few people that take jalopies back in there but they are pretty tight lipped if you know what i mean.
    It's a fairly easy run on wheelers. Monument Mountain can be hazardous, especially in rain or if pulling heavy trailers.

If it's raining or water levels are high, that can pose difficulties for wheelers.

Just run up the Little Nelchina river bed from Monument (about 10 miles or so) to Horsepasture Pass, then over the pass (about 6 - 7 miles) to the Little Oshetna.

It's a 20 or so mile run downriver to the Oshetna River, and the farther downstream you go, the deeper the Little O gets. If it's raining or high water, the last few fords can be too much for wheelers.

That's why you see swampbuggies back there. They can ford deeper water.

The Oshetna is often too deep to ford with an ATV.

The whole area is visually beautiful, but it's hunted hard. But if you go before hunting season, you can enjoy a gorgeous trip without much company.

i wonder how the guys who hunt with swamp buggies are taking the new maximum weight limit of 1500lbs in this unit. i am assuming that we'll be seeing a lot less of these rigs.

as far as Monument is concerned i've been up and down it a few times and this year it has gotten way worse, apparently the rains haven't faired well here and the trail is very very rutty.

what kind of time frame will it take to get back to the oshetna area?

Mark

i wonder how the guys who hunt with swamp buggies are taking the new maximum weight limit of 1500lbs in this unit. i am assuming that we'll be seeing a lot less of these rigs.....
    They can still hunt moose in the general hunt there, but they're the guys who can cross the Black River and hunt between there and the Big Su. You'll still see them on their way beyond where the crowds hunt with wheelers.

....as far as Monument is concerned i've been up and down it a few times and this year it has gotten way worse, apparently the rains haven't faired well here and the trail is very very rutty....
    I'm actually amazed it's still used. Last fall we went up the slope further to the east (actually broke down halfway up with carburetor problems for a few hours, but fixed it in order to get out that night).

I went up Monument once during a driving rain in a Bronco. It was spectacular. Water was cascading down almost like a waterfall. My brother (from California) was with me. He was quiet until we got to the top, and hasn't stopped talking about it since.

My wife often gets out of the rig to walk. She hates that mountain.......

....what kind of time frame will it take to get back to the oshetna area?
    On the trail I've averaged 5 mph both in my Argo and in my buggy years ago. It's about 50 miles from the gravel pit at Mile 132 to the Oshetna over Horsepasture Pass. The Yacko trail or Red Fox trail may be a bit shorter (I've run them with the Argo, which doesn't have an odometer), but it seems to take about the same amount of time. It takes me about 10 hours to get to the Oshetna from the highway.

You know you're having fun on Monument when you got the door open, one foot on the brake, and the other holding the tranny in gear. If the trans ever jumps out of gear it's time to bail! Much less hair pulling to go thru Cameron pass.
    One thing is you are not alloting yourself much time to get way back in there. Any possibility of staying longer?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    You know you're having fun on Monument when you got the door open, one foot on the brake, and the other holding the tranny in gear. If the trans ever jumps out of gear it's time to bail!....
    Ha!

My old ratty Bronco did just that: jumped out of first gear (low range) halfway up the steepest part, and with Mrs. Mark in the rig.

It was a rather harrowing backing job, but it was accomplished without mishap. I held it in gear on the next attempt.........

....One thing is you are not alloting yourself much time to get way back in there. Any possibility of staying longer?
    You've hit on the reality of that trip.

A couple of years ago I was there for the caribou opener. The gravel pit at Mile 132 was a circus. I figured it was going to be a bust.

But sure enough, once I decended Monument to the Little Nelchina and crossed to go toward Tyone Creek, I left the vast majority behind.

And once I got to Yacko Creek, I didn't see another soul until my return to Tyone Creek.

Once you go beyond 25 miles, the only other folks you see are those equipped to stay back there (which increases during moose season). There are lots of folks doing the running in/out from the highway.

[quote=Mark;121787]They can still hunt moose in the general hunt there, but they're the guys who can cross the Black River and hunt between there and the Big Su. You'll still see them on their way beyond where the crowds hunt with wheelers.

are you sure about the general moose hunting, cause i'm reading the reg's and they are saying no hunting with vehicles over 1500lbs in unit 13. maybe i'm not reading it right. let me know.

At the bottom of page 64 it discusses the weight restrictions. The 1500 lbs is only for Tier II moose and caribou. There will still be a lot of big rigs behind Eureka.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    They can still hunt moose in the general hunt there, but they're the guys who can cross the Black River and hunt between there and the Big Su. You'll still see them on their way beyond where the crowds hunt with wheelers.
    are you sure about the general moose hunting, cause i'm reading the reg's and they are saying no hunting with vehicles over 1500lbs in unit 13. maybe i'm not reading it right. let me know.
    Mod elan pegged it. It's the Tier II regs which prohibit motorized vehicles over 1500# from the Tier II hunts.

This is one of the more onerous developments of the Board's decisions regarding the Tier II hunt in Unit 13. There has been a historic attempt by the environmental community to ban ORVs everywhere, and I'm afraid many hunters who use other means of access have used the movement to eliminate hunting competition.

I used to use swampbuggies in this area. I read the handwriting on the wall. The state, feds, environmentalists, and our "fellow" hunters are killing them, even though these are historic and traditional means of accessing the area.

I sold mine years ago and went with an Argo (after going through the 3-wheeler and 4-wheeler phase). The Argo will work logistically and regulatorially for the rest of my life (in more ways than you'll ever understand).

You younger guys better catch the clue:

You have lots of political enemies, many of whom are on this very forum..........

The Little O and the Big O both get a lot of hunting pressure in september. Keep going to the Black River if you want to see any decrease. The Red Fox trail is faster than running up the Little Nel and thru horsepasture. If you're headed to the Big O from the gravel pits then the Yacko trail is faster than the Little Nel or the Red Fox trails. 3 to 3 & 1/2 hrs is the longest it ever took me to get to the tailhead for the Big O on the Little O. The best tip I could give you for hunting in that area in sept is where ever you are, position yourself well and keep spotting all the daylight hours. It's real common for more than one hunting party to head out after the same legal moose. The fastest man and best shot wins. Three of the bulls me and my partners have got in recent years were from a favorable position in the valleys and outright racing of other crews to shooting range. Might not sound like the type of hunting you want to do but it is what it is and we take pride in outhunting other crews.

were is the yacko trail head? i have not heard of this trail and how does the rain effect this as compared to little nel trail?

Go down Monument and go straight across the Little Nel and follow that trail to Tyone creek. Up Tyone creek to a trail that climbs up a spur ridge on the right side. Very defined trail that goes to the mines in Yacko and out to the Little O or Big Bones Ridge.

Mark

were is the yacko trail head? i have not heard of this trail and how does the rain effect this as compared to little nel trail?
    There are fewer creek crossings on the Yacko trail, but it's swampier.

YEA, i love swampy, like dropping my gun in the mud or like loaning out my 4wheeler. great stuff. oh and another one how about swallowing a bee at 35mph

anyway lots of good info here, how about we not tell anyone about it and really emphasize the hunting pressure, yea its really overhunted and stuff like that!

yes it's swampier. No biggie thou even with heavy rainfall unlike the LN. Real easy to miss the turnoff from the Yacko going over to LO. Unless you've been there MOST people would miss the trail. eureka is a maze of trials.

Mark

....anyway lots of good info here, how about we not tell anyone about it and really emphasize the hunting pressure, yea its really overhunted and stuff like that!
    It is overhunted. I don't bother even looking for moose in the area. I go in caribou hunting (and not often anymore simply because the pressure has driven the animals 50 - 100 miles back), but I prefer going in there before hunting season. Running around back there when nobody is there is wonderful.

it seems that if an area has an access it will be over hunted/used. in alaska we all like to do things to the extreme and unfortunately i haven't found or heard of anyone that has a honey hole that isn't over crowded.

we proud alaskans can only hope to find a decent place to hunt and fish that's not to crowded and still be somewhat successful. and then low and behold the area gets closed or reg's get changed.

on a positive note A CROWDED DAYS HUNTING IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN ANY DAY IN THE OFFICE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast