Thread: BRWNBR 2017 season

Default BRWNBR 2017 season

Well,
    It's about that time. I'm gonna try and keep folks up to speed on how our season goes again this year. I kinda like the aspect of that, if I have a crappy season the whole worlds gonna know. Maybe hurt myself some but I think honesty speaks to people. Hunting is what it is. We put in the time and the effort in areas we know hold our quarry. What else can we do...oh ya. Eat really good, make great friends, have amazing adventures and experiences!

This year started out with the birth of our last little girl, baby number 6. Then a slight scare this week with the diagnosis of me having a hernia. Surgeons said wait till seasons over to have it operated on. So this year clients may have to pitch in a bit more packing hides out!! Maybe I should "have" a hernia every year!

We have a full plate of hunts this season....take a ride with me.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Jake, looking forward to hear some great stories. 👍

Coming down to Kodiak?
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Didn't draw any tags this spring. Rots. Headed north on snowmachines for April instead this year. Working on getting a new area on Kodiak with MUCH better draw odds....don't matter your boats probably broke again...
    Master guide 212

Na, that boats running great, about to load it onto the barge, it's heading to Australia. New one gets here in a week I hope.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Well got two hunts done. Both snowmachine hunts up off the Denali hwy. first hunt we were a bit early. Saw a sow with Cubs and found another Den that we never did see the bears that lived there. Snowmachines just over 800 miles in some amazing country. Did manage to put our hooks into this great wolf however! Amazing trophy.
    Second hunt was much better timed. Second day out we cut a nice track of a 8' grizzly and followed him about five miles until he slipped into a brushy creek drainage. Disappointing. We crossed tracks of a sow and cubs later and found a fresh den and possibly the bear who called it how. However that bear was ten yards below the skyline and moving off. A fresh wolf killed caribou added some hope as we set up on that. The wolf was there but at 700 yards he knew something was up and wouldn't come back in. The snow fell apart on us making travel extremely difficult. The last three days the snow andnlow level clouds and warm air moved in, shutting us down. A great trip but no tags punched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Master guide 212

Just rolled back in from a fly out spring bear hunt with a return client. We saw seven grizzly, a sow with twins and two pairs of legal bears we could not get to due to the earth being to big. Saw over two dozen black bears and plugged his grizzly tag on this black bear the day before the weather turned to rotten cheese on us. Goat,missed grizzly, four deer, and his first bear with me so far. Coming back again next year, great clients make for great experiences!

Season to date 11 grizzlies spotted

Master guide 212

This last hunt was an interesting one.
    Flew out to a ridge top camp. First morning we spotted a great grizzly, pushing the nine foot mark, appeared to have a kill in a brush patch. We headed over and set up within shooting range of where we last saw him. After about an hour a wind change flushed him from the brush patch....headed the wrong direction wayyy to fast. Fail.
    Hiking back to the tent we had a young breeding pair pass by behind us at 350 yards or so, but both hides were in poor shape so we did not pursue. Fail.
    With the weather forecast very poor and a couple days of tent bound we opted to fly out and go check my bear baits up north. We regrouped with my side by side and headed out. A grizzly ran out by the road and ran along side the truck for a couple hundred yards, in my guide area, flew that day can't shoot. Fail.
    Following morning we head out the trail to check my baits, a stream crossing is covered with shelf ice still, we hunt around for a suitable crossing and find one about twenty yards down stream. I figure I should check over the next rise to make sure it's not all shelf ice ahead. As we walk the 30 yards extra to the rise I joke about us not having our guns. Yup. You guessed it. Two bears right up the trail over the rise! Client runs back and grabs the guns as the bears mosey off in the timber. We circle around but they aren't cooperating. Fail. As we bear my bait site the trail is covered in tracks, the bait is empty, fresh sign tells me they emptied it perhaps the day before we got there. And did not return for the next three days.
    We saw a lot of bears and all were one life situation from being shot, was a trip like none I've had before. Client was great, we had a lot of fun and he is coming back next year again as well.

Season to date 17 grizzlies spotted
    Master guide 212

Did I mention it snowed.....everyday.

Master guide 212

Sounds like a great time
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Got back from first baited hunt this year. Had decent activity on one of my baits, got some great pictures and videos. We sat baits for four nights, on the fourth night a 7' grizz came in fast and quickly realized something was up, a quick look around to find the problem and my client put a quick 375 ruger bullet into her chest. 30 yards. Midnight.

Master guide 212

I mean the bear traveled 30 yards after the shot, about a 90 yard shot.

Season to date 18 grizzly spotted
    Master guide 212

Three days on my bait station. Shot two 8'3" boars one day apart. And 15 yards apart. Hides are fantastic!

Master guide 212