Thread: Question on caribou breakfast sausage

Default Question on caribou breakfast sausage

What are Y'all mixing into your caribou to create breakfast sausage? I tried some pork shoulder (4/1 ratio) and your basic seasoning. We didn't really like it. We are looking for a mildly sweet breakfast sausage. Any ideas? BTW, ground, not links.

Did you not like the taste because of the seasoning? Or was it more the mix with the pork shoulder?
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    What are Y'all mixing into your caribou to create breakfast sausage? I tried some pork shoulder (4/1 ratio) and your basic seasoning. We didn't really like it. We are looking for a mildly sweet breakfast sausage. Any ideas? BTW, ground, not links.
    We always used Leggs #10 and good, local, organic pork shoulder somewhere in the 4/1 to 3/1 range. Don't think I'd call that seasoning "mildly sweet" tho. To me it was savory, and very mildly spicy. Not sure what I would use if I was looking for a sweet profile. Probably going to involve a fair bit of some form of sugar, and maybe apple, etc.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    Did you not like the taste because of the seasoning? Or was it more the mix with the pork shoulder?
    I would say ours was too "italian" tasting. Good for spaghetti, not for breakfast. Maybe part of the problem was shoulder was to lean? I'll check out that savoy, it really does not need to be sweet I guess. Just something that works better in scrambles and burritos.

There's tons of mixes and recipes out there and it all really comes down to your own preference obviously. I always recommend doing small, 5lb or so, batches of multiple different mixes/recipes until you hit on your top 2-3. Plus it's fun to experiment I think and then you don't end up with a bunch of stuff you're not super stoked about.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

I enjoy adding different kinds of bacon, if you want some sweetness use maple bacon. A 4/1 ratio with pork shoulder might not give you enough fat for a good sausage.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe