Thread: caribou?

Default caribou?

hey,

iam a new member of the forum and wanted to start out by saying its nice to have a place to go to share info with other hunters.iam trying to do a caribou hunt in Aug. i have no idea where to start and was wandering if i could get some help on where to start.

thanks

Welcome to the forums, Tex. Glad to have you aboard!

Before giving you some input on where to start, we'll do better if you give us some basic input. Do you want to do a road system hunt, or are you willing to fly out? How much money are you hoping to spend? What kind of time will you have? Do you bowhunt, or will you be using a rifle?

There are many areas of the state that hold caribou, but on the road system you are pretty limited. Among road system hunts, some have access restrictions and weapon restrictions that need to be taken into account. Give us some basic info on your aspirations and limitations, and we should be able to give you some ideas on where to start. Also, spend a few hours looking through the archives for caribou hunting threads. Try typing in "Haul Road Caribou", "Chicken Caribou", "40-mile Herd Caribou", "Kotzebue Caribou", and "Mulchatna Herd Caribou" for starters.

Default caribou

sorry bout the lack of info. i am hoping to drive and use my four wheeler if posible, and i will be rifle hunting. i know a little about the 5 mile walk in limitations and a few others, but dont know alot about where to go and what time of year is best to go. i did a fly-in brown bear hunt in may and it was kind of pricee, so i was just going to try to keep this trip cheaper (so the wife doesnt kill me) . thanks for the info, i am going to do some research and try to find out more. and if anyone else can help please do so, i would greatly appreciate it.
    thanks

If a road system atv-based hunt is what you're after, you're pretty much going to be limited to the 40-mile herd registration hunt in August. That hunt has been closing down within the first week or two of opening day due to reaching the harvest objectives over the past few years, so you'll probably want to plan a hunt as close to Aug. 10th as possible. I haven't done this hunt since I was a child, but I understand that things can get pretty crowded around Chicken Ridge, which is apparently the most popular access point for this hunt. There appear to be other areas to access the animals, though, so some research is probably in order. A phone call to the Tok area F&G biologist would help as well, as they can likely point you in a good direction.

Alas, the only other road accessible caribou where atv access is permitted is restricted to a subsistence permit (Tier II), and the application period for that hunt is already past.

Good luck with your planning.

-Brian

thanks alot for the info. greatly appreciated, i wanted to put some pictures from my game cam on here for people to check out but i am not sure how to do that. any help with that?

There are some pretty helpful threads on posting pictures on in the "Forum Tips" section of the forum.

thanks alot