Thread: Game Meat to Military Families - Information

Default Game Meat to Military Families - Information

To all,

Alaska Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (ABHA), in conjunction with the AK National Guard, has been working on a program to try to get good quality moose and caribou meat this fall to Guard families whose hunters are deployed and who may be in need of game meat. You can read more about the program HERE

The Guard Family Programs assistance center recently asked us to print, stamp, and send off 600 postcards to them so that they could mail these cards to Guard families to inform them of this program. ABHA did not have the funds to cover this volume of mailouts and just as all hope in getting that done seemed lost, David Johnson, owner of this website, offered to help cover the costs of these cards and get them stamped and printed up. Thank you David! David has posted an announcement on this, and also is asking for the help of ODD members who would like to make a donation toward this program. You can read Davidís announcement Here.

What those on this forum can do to help military families in need

If you are a hunter, guide, or air-taxi operator, and would like to donate quality game meat this fall, or logistically help transfer game meat, please write us at Alaskabha@starband.net and let us know the area you will be hunting, where you would like to drop off your meat, and how much meat you can donate.

If you have a Guard member deployed

If your hunter is a Guard member and is deployed, and you are in need of game meat this fall, please contact Kim Leary, Family Programs assistance, via This Link.

To the families of active-duty troops, and to military personnel stationed in the Fairbanks or Anchorage areas

I have been receiving queries about also getting game meat to the families of our active-duty troops who are deployed. If your hunter is deployed, and you are in need of game meat this fall, we are attempting to develop a network whereby you can get your name and location on a list so that we can help get game meat to you. Please contact us at the above email address for more information. If you would like to volunteer to help us coordinate and develop a program to get game meat to families in need on Ft. Richardson, Elmendorf AFB, Ft. Wainwright, or Eielson AFB, we are also in need volunteers stationed in the Anchorage and Fairbanks areas to help with this. Thank you to those military personnel who have already offered assistance with this!
    Sincerely,

Thumbs up Thanks, Mark!

Mark, thanks for working on this project! I think it's a great idea and would be happy to help in any way I can. P.M. coming your way!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default A great Idea

As a retired Marine who is comming to your great state for the first time, I think that this is another example what make this country great and why gun owners and outdoorsmen continue to set the example. If I am blessed with the good fortune of success in Sept you can bet that I will be donating a good portion back to the families of those Men and women that are sacrificing themselves so that the tree hugging LEFT*** Lib***** can continue to run their mouths and try to take away our rights!! Sorry, I'm still hot about reading the post of what is in the courts now and the back dooring attempts that are being tried with regards to the ammo. I hope that all the members of this forum get the word out about the donations and follow suit. I also know that alot of other alaskans rely on help through donations but I think that it's important that we take a special look at helping out the spouses of deployed military!! It might be nice if you can afford it, to donate 1 qtr to the military and 1 qtr to the other needy of AK, just a thought. May god bless us all and everyone have a safe and successful season.

Bushrat I have sent you a PM, please review

Default e-mail

bushrat, sent you an email to the address given!

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default I replied...

to the e-mail. Hope to hear back. Jesse

Exclamation

hey guys...we really need some help with meat storage, and anybody who has any ideas on how we can get meat to the small villages in the interior and coastal alaska.
    not sure how we will be able to pull this off , but storage and distribution are proving to be far more challenging then getting the meat itself.
    here is *where we have identified need:
    Kwigillingok, Scammon Bay, Hooper Bay, Wasilla, Kenai, Kotlik, Quinhaghak,
    Tuntutuliak, Bethel, Nightmute, Chefnorak, Nmanokotak, Twin Hills, Tununak,
    Toksook Bay, Haines, Chevak, Wasilla, Eagle River, Kipnuk, Savoonga, Willow,
    Kasigluk, Napaskiak, Anchorage, Tuluksak, Manokotak, North Pole, and Juneau.
    dave
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

What are you thinking in regards to storage, Dave? I've got some freezer space now, but it'll hopefully fill up as the season progresses. Are you thinking a matter of days, or longer term than that? I've also got a large shed where I can hang meat bags for a few days (assuming I finish putting the roof on it...Ha!)

we are really looking for freezer space at airports or similarly situated hubs.
    not that worried about the urban stuff, folks who need meat in the anchorage area can likely hookup with hunters coming in from the field, maybe we can get NAC or Everetts to donate cooler space. more challenging is how do we get meat to folks in places like kipnuk and twin hills and quinhaghak ....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Although you've got the logistics nightmare to deal with now, I sure am glad to hear that you've gotten a good response from the postcards you mailed out to the Guard families.

Bushrat PM me if anyone IN SERVICE TO THE COUNTRY would like some deer meat... (mine is better than everyone else's). I wrote you, but must have lost the connection.

HomerDave, isn't it good to have so much more than you need/want? Keep pulling the trigger folks, and I'll become a vegetarian because of you. Doesn't matter that I love to hunt... doesn't matter that I love meat...Doesn't matter that I can consume every once of MY harvest (yet am willing to share), someone out there is bound and determined to take way more than they need.

Bushrat, with your folks I'll gladly share what I have. I COULD consume it all myslef, but, I can also go hunting/fishing for more as needed. Or .... to the grocer. The men/women in uniform are entitled to anything I can offer in MHO.

I am so sick of killers on this forum. Sick, sick, sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M
    Although you've got the logistics nightmare to deal with now, I sure am glad to hear that you've gotten a good response from the postcards you mailed out to the Guard families.

Don't think many here know that it was David Johnson and Brian M. who took care of both the financial and personal part of getting those cards off to the National Guard to mail out to families. 600 cards were sent off and it was somewhat spendy, so if any of you guys want to help defer the cost, please donate ten bucks or so via David's sticky post here:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t.php?f=2&a=69

A big thanks to Brian and David and ODD for helping! And to everyone else who has written offering help. Now...if we could only find freezer space and figure out how to get more meat in the hubs and off to the right places, we'll be doin' good.

Default would love to help

I live in North Pole and Work in Fairbanks at the Daily Newsminer. I don't know whether or not I will have any game meat to donate, but I do have some excellant Salmon filets vacum sealed and ready to go, I would also like to offer my assistance with anything else that may need help. I have access to fort Wainwright, and I have brought the storage and distribution needs to the attention of our publisher and Newsroom.

Have you tried Interior proccesors, Delta meat & Sausage, BY Farms ( they are out of business but might have empty freezers), Safeway, And Fred meyer (freezer trailers) for freezer storage, for transport Northern air cargo and Warbelows might be able to help. You probably already thought of them, but I figured I would mention them just in case

Sincerely
    Andrew Glasgow
    907-590-1070