Thread: Ayakulik River on Kodiak

Default Ayakulik River on Kodiak

Hello, I am trying to find some information about floating for the Ayakulik River on Kodiak. Thinking of putting together a float hunt for a deer hunt/steelhead fishing trip combo. I have been unable to find out specifics on about the river such as where are the drop-off and pick-up points along the river? How long of a float is it between the drop-off and pick-up points? Are there any hazards to be concerned about along the river, other than the obvious boatload of hungry bears? How much pressure does the river receive in the fall? How far do the steelhead travel up the river and will they travel far enough upriver for me to find them in mid to late October?

Please send a PM if you don't feel like sharing information in public.

Thanks

I would call Roland at Seahawk air and see where his pickup and drop off points are.

i'd concentrate elsewhere. it's not deer country there, it's bear country. the river corridor isn't conducive to deer habitat. Its a fish river and bear river, but not a great deer river. Just my experience
    https://pristineventures.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    i'd concentrate elsewhere. it's not deer country there, it's bear country. the river corridor isn't conducive to deer habitat. Its a fish river and bear river, but not a great deer river. Just my experience
    ^^^Agreed. If you want to catch salmon or view tons of large bears, thats the place to be...

Quote Originally Posted by h20fowler View Post
    ^^^Agreed. If you want to catch salmon or view tons of large bears, thats the place to be...
    Okay. Thanks fellas. I was kind of hoping to find a spot that would make a good deer/steelhead combo in October. Any other suggestions?

Tell Roland you want to catch silvers as a first priority, with secondary goals of shooting deer and that you were curious where other float hunters have gone successfully. Tell him you'd rather not drag over feld trees the whole trip or get maimed by brownies.

Ask him for two options that meet those desires, and then research with ADFG and the land owner. Choose the one that still feels right, and then call Roland to tell him where to drop you.

Alaska law prevents "air taxi operators" from marketing directly to hunters whereas "air Transporters" can market and charge extra for where to advice. So, i get in to the habit of asking the same question differently to empower the information that allows me to choose the final spot.

2 cents, out
    https://pristineventures.com

Tell Roland you want to catch silvers as a first priority, with secondary goals of shooting deer and that you were curious where other float hunters have gone successfully. Tell him you'd rather not drag over feld trees the whole trip or get maimed by brownies.

Ask him for two options that meet those desires, and then research with ADFG and the land owner. Choose the one that still feels right, and then call Roland to tell him where to drop you.

Alaska law prevents "air taxi operators" from marketing directly to hunters whereas "air Transporters" can market and charge extra for where to advice. So, i get in to the habit of asking the same question differently to empower the information that allows me to choose the final spot.

2 cents, out
    Right on, thanks again for the tips Larry. Always useful advice. Although I actually want to catch steelhead and not silvers. I can catch plenty of silvers here at home. I want to tangle with some steelhead. And to the best of my knowledge the only rivers on Kodiak with decent numbers of steelhead are the Karluk and the Ayakulik. I have heard the Karluk gets more pressure so I would assume it would be not as good hunting.