Thread: Potential Project Rifle: Rem 760 Gamemaster Rebore to 358 Win

Default Potential Project Rifle: Rem 760 Gamemaster Rebore to 358 Win

So I must admit, a few years back I read some article somewhere (probably posted here by one you guys, so I'm blaming ya'll) and got bit with the .358 Win bug. Since that day, I've been toying around with the idea of owning one of my own. Ideally, I would love one in Savage 99 (to match my Grandfathers in .308), but my fun-money account recently got turned into a kid-money account, so either buying one in .358, or buying a gun in another caliber and rebarreling it are both out of the question for now.

I do however have a Rem 760 Gamemaster in .243 sitting in the safe that was gifted to me by an Uncle out of the blue a few years ago (talk about an awesome surprise!) The rifle is in great shape, and although I've shot it a few times, it just doesn't tickle my fancy or scratch a particular itch of mine. I'm toying with the idea of sending it off to JES and turning it into a .358. As I understand it, the conversion should be straightforward.

I'm not a huge fan of pumps (prefer a bolt or lever), but I'm thinking the rifle might be a nice SE Alaska blacktail rifle. I'm thinking it would make a quick handling rifle for the SE mountainsides with more than enough punch in case a brown bear decided to come running into the call. More than likely I'd shoot 250 gr bullets, so I believe a 1:12" twist is the recommended rate.

So my question to ya'll, is should I do it? Do you see any potential hangups or dislikes about my idea? I've never customized a rifle before, so the whole process is new to me. Any thoughts or recommendations you have on the subject are appreciated!

If that's what you want...you bet!

I did a 760 in .30-06 to 35 Whelen and it shot well but kicked a bunch!! .358 should be a bit more tame. I have .338 Fed in a Tikka and it kicks a lot too but it shoots 4" groups at 300 yds so it's all I need for large game.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Yeah, you may want to consider .338 Fed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    ...a Rem 760 Gamemaster in .243....
    I'd reconfirm with JES, but I can't imagine any problems unless the LOA of a 358 is longer than the 243, in spite of the same parent case. The 243 bullets are seated pretty deeply, and without the two in front of me, I'd guess that the 358 is a little longer.

As for the 760, folks tend to love them or hate them. Most of the haters are guys who never owned a good one. Growing up as a lefty back in the 50's and 60's when lefty bolts were scarce, I resorted to 760's several times over the years. Though the only one I own now is a 257 Roberts, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another if the round was right and I had to money free. They might not be "bolt" accurate, but they're sure hunting accurate. Every one I've owned or shot would break 2" at 100 yards with several loads, and some would even break 1.5". Heck, guys brag about that kind of accuracy from the Marlin and Winchester levers they love so much!

Do it. You'll love the 358 round enough you'll learn to love the 760 right along with it. In my experience there's a vast array of 35 cal bullets suitable for the velocities of the 358, while the selection is of 338 bullets suitable for the low velocities of the Federal round is pretty skinny. No dig on the Fed, because it's certainly a good round. But not as versatile as the 358.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

When the 7600 came out in .35 Whelen back around 88 I bought one and have never regretted it. I would go with the .358 Winchester and not look back either. You have the option of cheap cast .357 bullets at lower velocities for small game and up to 225's for bigger stuff. I think the 250's would take up too much room in the case. The .358 is a very underrated round indeed. Sounds like a fun project.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Thanks for all of the insight and encouragement. I think I just need to convince the wife that this is a good birthday present idea for me and then I'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    Thanks for all of the insight and encouragement. I think I just need to convince the wife that this is a good birthday present idea for me and then I'll be golden.
    I have always wanted a 760 in a 358, just never found the right 760 to do it on. Lots of 06 and 270 versions floating around out there but not so many short action ones any more.

As far as your wife goes, well, I could talk to her if you and tell her what a swell guy you are, how much you deserve it and how bad you want it! Then you could return me the favor.......on second thought my wife would see right through it and I'd end up with another pop knot on my head. At my house I can have anything if it's her idea and more guns becoming her idea is a tough one...I've tried!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I have always wanted a 760 in a 358, just never found the right 760 to do it on. Lots of 06 and 270 versions floating around out there but not so many short action ones any more.
    Interesting insight! I grew up in PA, which by all the accounts I've read seems to be the 760/7600 capital of the world. It seems like every hunting family (which was practically every family in PA) had at least one, if not two or more of the 760/7600s in the gun cabinet. I think their commonplace availability around me sort of led me down the path of indifference towards them. As Brownbear mentioned, it seems like the only people who aren't fans of them have never owned one. Certainly all those PA hunters can't be wrong!

Just thinking about reviving this rifle into something that tickles my fancy gets me excited! I don't know when the day will come to get it done, but I'm certainly hoping it comes soon!

My dad is a lefty. He had a 760 in .30-06. I packed it as did my brothers. He also had a Winchester pump .22, the model 62. I still have it. He had plenty of Savage and Winchester lever guns. I still like to pull the Savage featherweight in .22 Hi Power out of the safe, and exercise it. dad used to kill black bears with it.
    I bought my own 760 in .270 when I turned 21. I have killed a mountain of animals with it, from Dall sheep, deer (maybe a hundred) black bears, elk, and probably lots of stuff I'm forgetting. I gifted it to a young family member a few years ago, and got to watch him whack a very nice blacktail buck with it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yeah, you may want to consider .338 Fed.
    I still want a .358 Win someday, but the .338 Fed beats any load (ballistics) in .358 by a long shot - and a huge selection of bullets over the .358.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

One of the biggest complaints regarding the 760 – 7600 family is the trigger. If you have a bit of mechanical aptitude this can be greatly improved for very little expense. First off, remove trigger group and drill and tap the back of the trigger guard for the installation of a trigger over travel set screw. I think I used a 10-32 socket head set screw, but it might have been smaller? Anyway, the over travel screw will do much for the “feel” of the trigger. One can also lighten the pull somewhat and crisp up the release by carefully stoning the hammer down a bit. And lastly, trigger shoes for any of the Remington 870’s or 1100’s will also fit the 760 trigger, and give the feel of a lighter trigger pull.

Poor accuracy more often than not can be attributed to a lose forearm hanger (not sure of the nomenclature of this part) which is what secures the barrel to the action. Step one with any new to you 760/7600 should be to put a punch thru the hole in the hangar and make sure it is properly torqued down.

One last thing… 760/7600 and 740/7400 magazines are interchangeable, however the 740/7400 magazines incorporate a bolt hold open feature.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    One of the biggest complaints regarding the 760 – 7600 family is the trigger. If you have a bit of mechanical aptitude this can be greatly improved for very little expense. First off, remove trigger group and drill and tap the back of the trigger guard for the installation of a trigger over travel set screw. I think I used a 10-32 socket head set screw, but it might have been smaller? Anyway, the over travel screw will do much for the “feel” of the trigger. One can also lighten the pull somewhat and crisp up the release by carefully stoning the hammer down a bit. And lastly, trigger shoes for any of the Remington 870’s or 1100’s will also fit the 760 trigger, and give the feel of a lighter trigger pull.

Poor accuracy more often than not can be attributed to a lose forearm hanger (not sure of the nomenclature of this part) which is what secures the barrel to the action. Step one with any new to you 760/7600 should be to put a punch thru the hole in the hangar and make sure it is properly torqued down.

One last thing… 760/7600 and 740/7400 magazines are interchangeable, however the 740/7400 magazines incorporate a bolt hold open feature.
    There is a guy that sells trigger jobs on ebay (Chad Klingensmith [phobos84@hotmail.com]). I set my trigger to him and it is OK. It smoothed up well, the over travel is adjusted as above and he lightened it. Having said that, it is still a pretty sloppy shotgun trigger. Having complained about the quality of the trigger, I can shoot that gun very well and my 35 Whelan shoots under an inch at 100 all day long with Barnes Vortx 180s.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Yeah, you can make them better, however they will never be comparable to a nice standard trigger.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I had a Rem 760 in 35 Rem rechambered to 35 Whelen the smith in Anchorage did a oversized chamber , you cant set the chamber back on a 760 or 7600. Bought a 7600 in 35 Whelen and love it, important to find a smith that can chamber it right the first time! Either the 358 Win or the 35 Whelen would make a great choice.

First heard of a 35 Whelen in the Rem 760 by a gunsmith in Bend Oregon about 1975 he said it was a great Elk rifle and Remington had looked at his
    rechambered 35 Rem to 35 Whelen. That sparked the idea for a leftie to own one of those some day. Growing up shooting pump shotguns a Rem 760 was natural for a leftie.

Interesting how Remington came out with the 35 Whelen in the 7600, around mid 80,s!

I prefer the bolt lugs on the 7600 to the multilug on the 760 thinking it has a better lock up.

I am considering making a 30-06 7600 to a 35 Whelen with JES for hunting Kodiak deer and for my boat gun on moose. I might nitride the thing to keep it from rusting out. Handy gun, especially with a pistol grip stock and a red dot scope. A TON of them out there and proven to function well. The trigger sucks.

Search around you might find a 7600 already in .35 Whelen. I bought mine the first year they offered it. I love it but don't use a gun much.
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/99664716...-35-Whelen.htm

Just for S&G I looked up the serial number and date of manufacture on mine. 1988 June, first year of production of the .35 Whelen.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 01-12-2019 at 15:33.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.