Thread: This is the struggle we Alaskans face

Default This is the struggle we Alaskans face

https://wilderness.org/blog/another-...fe-refuge-next

"The Senate just passed a bill that lays the groundwork for an all-out assault on wildlife refuges in Alaska. It was both a profound mistake and a troubling precedent as we gird ourselves to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from new threats."
    This is pretty sad. Americans reading this and other literature from this group believe that by blocking any oil development in ANWR they are just saving a wild place. They know not the damage to the livelihoods of every day Alaskans that this causes. Not having enough oil flowing through the pipeline has helped create the 3 billion dollar budget shortfall of today. That shortfall cost my family, directly, $3,000 in garnered dividend payout. It cost me my job. It will cost my family $4500 in lost dividend revenue this year, and possibly more in income tax, gasoline tax and increased borough taxes. All so a person in Maryland can look at a picture of ANWR and think "how wonderful that a place like this still exists." Not knowing, that even if a few oil pads are built, all but a couple thousand acres of ANWR will still look exactly as they do today. very, very sad.

ANWR belongs just as much to that chap in Maryland as it does to you and me...anyway the big prospects appear to be further west in the NPRA...I think we can leave the refuge alone for the time being...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I must have missed the part where allowing Alaskans to manage our game, like every other state, and it somehow allows for the wholesale unfettered exploitation of oil resources. I must have also missed it when our congressional representatives voted on how to manage game in Maryland.

This bill was about game management. Misguided folks who know nothing about Alaska, game management, or oil resource management twisting this into something it is not is beyond shameful.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    ANWR belongs just as much to that chap in Maryland as it does to you and me...anyway the big prospects appear to be further west in the NPRA...I think we can leave the refuge alone for the time being...
    Not according to our statehood agreement with the feds. Tugging on people's heart strings in order to affect laws in a land thousands of miles away is bad business. America came about because of distant powers abusing their powers in America without representation. We are coming full circle.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    America came about because of distant powers abusing their powers in America without representation. We are coming full circle.
    America as we know it came about because England doubled their national debt fighting the French & Indian War...if they hadn't, we might be having this discussion in Quebecois right now...their position that the colonists should shoulder some of that financial burden was not received well...and the Somerset decision sealed the deal...try some non-revisionist history sometime...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

............... doubled their national debt......
    At the very least we learned this is not prudent......Maybe not.

My reading of the article indicates a change in game management practices enacted by the Obama administration. I suppose you can infer ANWR would not be considered a sacred piece of holy ground that a few oil wells would cause the Gods to strike us from the planet.

Ironic, the Redcoats doubled their national debt defending those ungrateful colonists from the garlic eating Frogs.
    The colonists prevailed.
    The Frogs increased their national debt aiding the ungrateful colonists.
    The Frog King Louis the 16th and his lovely bride lost their heads.
    The ungrateful colonists have just doubled their national debt in the last 8 years.
    What happens next?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

America as we know it came about because England doubled their national debt fighting the French & Indian War...if they hadn't, we might be having this discussion in Quebecois right now...their position that the colonists should shoulder some of that financial burden was not received well...and the Somerset decision sealed the deal...try some non-revisionist history sometime...
    Sounds like a text book case of "distant powers abusing their powers in America without representation" to me. Has nothing to do with revisionism, either way.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman