Thread: Boat trailer repair/maintenance

Default Boat trailer repair/maintenance

Does anyone know of any boat trailer repair/maintenance shops in the valley? I was thinking about launching my ocean boat in Big Lake and tying it up (obviously in the summer), while I bring my trailer to a repair shop. I'd like to get someone with more knowledge than me to give it a once over on the axles, springs, spindles, etc., so that my family and I can get somewhat of a warm and fuzzy feeling when we're hauling up and down the highway in the summer. Hauling the boat on the highway just seems to stress me out more than anything on our fishing trips.

I found a few places on the forum, but most of the posts were older.

Thanks

i dont know how large your boat is but the boat ramps at big lake suck big time. i have broken more than one part on my trailer launching there. the ramp is not very long and is made of concrete sections not a continuous slab. a stack of dudes think they should drive their boat onto the trailer instead of backing far enough to load proper. as a result north, south and burkshore all have huge holes at the end of the ramp for your tires to fall into and a huge pile of gravel just off the end leaving about 12"-24" of water. you can moor at burkshore, they are helpful to me.

Thanks for the heads up Sportfisher!!! Yeah I have a 26' Boulton and it's pretty heavy. I've never used any of the boat launches in Big Lake, but I have seen what launches like those can do to trailers down south. I appreciate it man, just trying to think of a feasible and cost effective way to get my trailer looked at.

One thing that will build confidence when trailering is to put new bearings on yourself at home and lean how to grease them. Then carry a spare bearing set pre-greased up. Another benefit will be keeping the lug nuts in top shape. That way you are prepared in case of some failure while on the road and you will have the confidence to change a tire or replace a toasted bearing should such incidents arise.

Sobie2

if you post a pic of your boat i might be able to give you a better idea. the guys with nice metal boats and low riding trailers dont have any problems. sobie is sure right ablut having spare parts and being familiar with simple fixes. i have a complete hub assembly and bearings and lug nuts mounted on my trailer. lost a bearing about 1 mile from the tunnel on a saturday night once and so no more. i even keep a spare axel at home after breaking one in the parking lot at whittier.

Another option if it is available to you is go to a boat yard and have them hoist it off the trailer and put it onto blocks.
    They might help you with the trailer.

Thanks for the input guys! I got a hold of Brian with BK marine and he's going to help me out.

Good choice
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859