Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 36 Mi. Chena Hot Springs Rd. Shooting Range

Thanks mlshore.

I'll propose June 24 and 25 as the prospective dates for now, as the preceding week-end is Father's Day, and I suspect some of the interested folks may have plans for that time.

Hopefully others who've expressed willingness and/or interest will also comment.

And help from folks in that area would be very nice, if such help can be mustered.

Ranger Happ stated the nearest dumpster transfer stations are at 18 mile, near the old Two Rivers School site, meaning myself or someone will need to haul trash there. if there's little enough, then a single trip might cover it.

Thanks again.

Any others with input as to scheduling, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Ranger Happ stated the nearest dumpster transfer stations are at 18 mile, near the old Two Rivers School site, meaning myself or someone will need to haul trash there. if there's little enough, then a single trip might cover it.
    You'll be passing it on your way into Fairbanks, anyway, and it's adjacent to the road so that one's easy. If everybody could take a few bags that might be enough to get the trash out.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    You'll be passing it on your way into Fairbanks, anyway, and it's adjacent to the road so that one's easy. If everybody could take a few bags that might be enough to get the trash out.

Thanks.

I'd been hoping for a spot closer to the area, say, perhaps, near 23 mile. But 18 mile will have to do.

I used to cut firewood out there about 35 years ago, back in behind the school area a ways, when they were permitting cutting there in preparation for the subdivision that went in there.

Hopefully everyone that can, stays on-board with the plans and the event grows into a large enough crowd to minimize the clean-up time, and maximize the outcome.

On Wednesday, April 12, I signed and received a copy of the Exclusive Use Permit for the 36.5 mile shooting range.

I was previously incorrect in perceiving Ranger Happ as referencing a second (more formal) camping area at 36.5 mile. The shooting range -IS- technically at 36.5 mile, so we are planning to use the grassy area between the outhouses and the N.E. roads into the shooting range as the area any campers may occupy with tents, trailers, etc..

While our permit is of an 'Exclusive Use' type, it is by no means intended to discourage those who show up at the last minute to help withthis event.

Grant Lewis of Tanana Valley Sportsmen's Association has indicated he will probably not be available on June 24 or 25, but he will try to locate another certified shooting instructor to aid in the shooting clinic.

The shooting clinic will likely be a 'bring your own rifle and ammunition' affair (preferably .22 lr).

In my final discussion re. the clean-up activities, Ranger Happ mentioned use of a hand-cleaning station of sorts, that would permit folks an opportunity to wash any lead (or other residues) from hands, shoes, etc.,especially for youngsters helping.

With that in mind, we're still seeking persons to supply/loan the use of:

1.) at least one more portable shelter,

2.) at least one folding picnic table or table and chairs (we have a 5'x2' table I can bring, but more would be good, as well as chairs)

3.) Contractor-grade, heavy-weight trash bags (perhaps at least 3 dozen or so would be a good start)

4.) Water coolers/jugs/dispensers

5.) Nitrile shop-quality (or heavier) gloves for folks picking up any hazardous debris

6.) Any personal camping or other outdoor gear that folks believe they'll need, including mud boots that can be washed after the fact

7.) Hand-wipes (preferably some such as Ranger Happ had referenced), especially those intended for cleansing heavy metals such as lead.

8.) Other needs to be added later

**We have a utility trailer with a 12'x5' bed, and sheeted sides that are 2' tall, to haul items to the 18-mile dumpsters. I will intend to bring that.

Any other offerings? Ideas? Thoughts?

**For those intending to use a gun range in their area,any gun range, in ANY area, please consider that if your intended targets leave a kazillion shards of sharp remnants, toxic debris, etc., for animals orpassers-by to become unwittingly or otherwise affected by, then you might consider using paper, tin cans, or other targets that don't create the mayhem that microwave ovens, glass bottles, etc., leave for others to contend with. And collecting your brass, targets, and trash when you're done shooting is a polite way to leave the range.

Just as smoking cigarettes doesn't vend an inherent license to toss butts on the ground, shooting isn't a license to leave your trash littered around the area you're sharing with others.

Be responsible, and don't so-willingly give the anti-gun crowd greater proverbial ammunition to criticize your hobbies.

Life threw a little hitch at me so I'm unable to say for certain that I can attend, however I will offer up a portable shelter for use.

Any of the attendees can stop by my house on the way out to the range and pick it up. I'm 2 minutes off chsr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Life threw a little hitch at me so I'm unable to say for certain that I can attend, however I will offer up a portable shelter for use.

Any of the attendees can stop by my house on the way out to the range and pick it up. I'm 2 minutes off chsr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Most excellent!!

Hopefully you received my PM reply when you sent a PM my way, informing me of your current unknowns. If you didn't receive the reply, please let me know.

The offering of the shelter is awesome!!

At this point we haven't begun circulating other organizational e-mails and such yet, so the prospects for the remainder of the needs, as well as volunteers, is a giant question mark. But one way or another, I think we'll be able to pull this off, and make some improvements to the place.

I considered taking photos before we start, and some 'after' photos when we finish our work. (I'm told the mess under the snow makes the mess on top of the snow look pretty tame).

Hope your challenges become less overwhelming, and brighter days to come.

Spoke with Grant Lewis of TVSA last week; he's identified and contacted an alternate shooting instructor for the shooting clinic for the afternoon/evening of June 24, 2017.

I sent Grant a copied list of 'needs' for the clean-up and related event(s), and I trust he will be circulating that to their TVSA list shortly.

Possibly NOT on that list is a larger grill or two (Grant's absence means that his grill likely won't be on-site). I'm in the throws of making contact with a welder I know who has been more than fair in the past, and who, I believe, lives out off the Chena Hot Springs Rd. Hopefully he'll be willing to weld up a replacement charcoal tray for our older, easier-to-regulate charcoal grill, and I can take that on the trailer we'll use for trash hauling.

Also left off of the list of specific needs are targets and frames for such. I suspect some 2"x2" frames can be easily constructed (and re-used later on), and my family can purchase some decent 50 and 100 yard targets.

Grant has generously offered to provide some of the hand-wipes that are specifically made for heavy metals such as lead.

I'm sure there will be more developments soon.

And we're still seeking folks to step forth and agree to help make this a success.

I was able to speak with Grant Lewis last week. He informed me that Larry Hannesson has agreed to be the shooting instructor for the shooting clinic following the primary clean-up effort on Saturday, June 24th, 2017.

My next move is to re-send Grant a 'needs list' of those items we'd like to have for the event. My plan for this is to include the entire needs list, albeit written as concisely as possible, and after each item, state whether the item is now being provided, or if more of what ever item is still needed.I hope to convey this list to Grant by the end of next week so that he can circulate it to the TVSA membership as a preliminary organizational notice, asking for support, and updating members of the events. Hopefully that e-mail will be sent out to their membership within the next two weeks or less.

A Chena Hot Springs Rd welder I know of helped out by making a larger, older charcoal grill of mine usable again, by fabricating a charcoal grate at a very reasonable rate, for our grilling of chow for volunteers while there. Thank you Ryan!!!

mlshore has volunteered to post flyers in the Twin Rivers and 23-mile Chena Hot Springs Rd. areas re. the events, so I need to contact my older son, and see if he'll donate some time for graphics.

Absent any other input re. a title for the event(s), I'm leaning toward "Clear the Range; Maintaining Second Amendment Rights Through Respect" as it's, in part, an absence of that attribute that has, in large part, caused the necessity of this clean-up.

Any input, please post herein, or PM me.

Thanks. And please stay tuned for final plans.

We hope to see as many people there as possible to aid in this, and to make a positive statement.

The flyer design for the clean-up effort is done, and looks very nice.

Anyone interested in receiving one, and/or helping to post them around town (especially if you have a printer and can print a number of them in color), please PM me, and include your e-mail address. I can then e-mail a jpeg file with the flyer in it to you, to post around town in appropriate places.

Thanks.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Thank you for posting the flyer, Steve!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12