Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 36 Mi. Chena Hot Springs Rd. Shooting Range

In the near future, photos will follow, but I'll have to send those on to another family member with a faster computer and connection, in order to post them to this thread.

All in all, 22 persons (including children) took part in the clean-up, including two volunteers who'd come to sight in a few rifles, not realizing the range was closed for the duration.

The youngest children meticulously sorted through casings near the benches; a job that could go on for days, and still not be completed.Older children helped to carry debris from the range, as did the mostly senior citizens, who I suspect had not participated at all in creating the mess at hand.

All totaled, I'd wager we carried well over a ton of debris from the place, resulting in three respectable trailer loads of trash, and one pick-up truck load.

One electronic component of unknown purpose, capacitors riddled with pellets and bullets, weighing nearly 200 lbs., was carried off the range to my trailer, near the end of our stay, by my youngest son and a Two Rivers resident named Joe. Just unloading that at the Two Rivers transfer station took enormous effort on our part.

Other noteworthy debris included a mounted smaller grizzly bear (who would shoot up that kind of thing??!!), a smaller dorm refrigerator, enough plywood to frame a small shack, a number of blasted-apart bowling balls, and any number of other items that leaves a person scratching their head as to where common sense may have disappeared to these days.

We cleaned, ate moose burgers, cupcakes provided by Barbie Howard, hot dogs brought by Larry Hannesson from TVSA, and more.

The range looks considerably better, with no larger debris in sight, but the broken glass, wadding, and other smaller debris (which we did our best at gathering manually) would benefit from a loader bucket picking up the top 1/4" or so of dirt. That would require money I doubt the State currently has for that location.

So, in that regard, for those who choose to shoot irresponsibly, please consider that a bunch of kids and seniors picked up your debris, regardless of the pains encountered by us older folks, and the money spent on making the mess even better will come from ALL of our pockets, if it comes at all.

All in all, this was a stellar showing of civic willingness by a group ranging in age from 3 or 4 yrs. old, up to later 60's/early 70's, when I'm certain that ALL of us had other things we could've been doing in our own lives. That alone is heartening. Seriously.

A HUGE "Thank you" to ALL who participated in this effort.

Many thanks to Ruffle and crew for amazing work cleaning up the shooting range. He's got limited bandwidth for uploading photos, so he asked me to post these for him. This is what it looked like before:

Attachment 93626Attachment 93627
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

This is just some of the trash that they collected:

Attachment 93628Attachment 93629

A couple of photos from the shooting clinic:

Attachment 93630Attachment 93631

And some of the volunteers (and food!):

Attachment 93632Attachment 93633

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123