Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Unit 26 RAC wants to close Central Arctic Herd no Haul Road Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    For the Federal Government making a specific decision strictly about local preference of a resource, on Federal Lands........that is NOT relevant.
    Precisely. I'm in DC right now and the people down on C Street NW think that most of the dialog within this thread is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    tsunami and BRWNBR,

Thanks for providing the links to those pamphlets.

BRWNBR please correct me if I am wrong, but if I read it correctly, according to the numbers you provided guiding brings a total of 87 million to the local Alaskan economy, is that correct? That is a substantial part of our economy and shouldn't be discounted.

tsunami please correct me if I am wrong, but if I read it correctly, according to the numbers you provided Alaskan residents spend 95.8 million on transportation fees or tickets alone out of the 1 billion plus that we put into the local Alaskan economy, is that correct? That is a very substantial part of our economy and can't be discounted.

Pretty big differences in the numbers.
    I don't see those numbers being right. One says residents spend a billion dollars. Next one says less than 400million, one says 100,000 resident hunters (roughly, that would make it about 9k spent per person, those are probably just two different groups trying to juice their propaganda I'd guess. Cause the numbers don't line up it appears. I don't think it really matters either way. Hunting is money into the state. Biggest difference I see is that nonnresidents bring in new money, not just circulating local money.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    tsunami and BRWNBR,

Thanks for providing the links to those pamphlets.

BRWNBR please correct me if I am wrong, but if I read it correctly, according to the numbers you provided guiding brings a total of 87 million to the local Alaskan economy, is that correct? That is a substantial part of our economy and shouldn't be discounted.

tsunami please correct me if I am wrong, but if I read it correctly, according to the numbers you provided Alaskan residents spend 95.8 million on transportation fees or tickets alone out of the 1 billion plus that we put into the local Alaskan economy, is that correct? That is a very substantial part of our economy and can't be discounted.

Pretty big differences in the numbers.
    Think about whether a conclusion or statement that "guiding brings in a total of 87 million" could be an exaggeration of the actual "net" economic impact of "guiding".

There are total of about 16K non resident hunting AK each year. Each of them is a potential candidate for a guided hunt. And all 16K of them are spending.

But, out of the 16K potential clients only about 2K NR's actually choose to "hire" a guide.

So the NET economic contribution (or gain) of a "guided" hunt is what the "hired help" gets paid?

And if you consider that 20% (and probably more) of the "hired help" are also not even Alaskan residents then the actual NET economic contribution (benefit or gain) of a guided NR hunter may truly be pretty far south of 87 million.

Ya that's why I said I don't see those numbers being right. Any of them. I think you mistook my comment to be one that was defending one set of numbers while condemning the others?
    Master guide 212

Plus many of them take a hand full of that "New Money" Jake mentioned back HOME with them after they get done guiding.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Plus many of them take a hand full of that "New Money" Jake mentioned back HOME with them after they get done guiding.
    Yup. Part of the issue. As posted in another thread. After all those hired help guides are making a pile of money.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Yup. Part of the issue. As posted in another thread. After all those hired help guides are making a pile of money.
    Hired help must not be making a pile of money based on the 700K debt to the guide licensing board and being too poor to pay workers compensation benefits for the hired help.

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    Hired help must not be making a pile of money based on the 700K debt to the guide licensing board and being too poor to pay workers compensation benefits for the hired help.
    But the best part is that we (AK residents and nonresidents that are not locals) will be impacted the same by these decisions- no matter how much is spent by either party.

The comment that started this money spent pissing match (not really a pissing match - more of a tinkle match), I do not believe had anything to do with residents vs non. I think he was saying that it is a lot of money to have up in the air (not look ho much I'm going to spend, AK should cater to me). I understand very well how the uncertainty impacts a person trying to plan a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Precisely. I'm in DC right now and the people down on C Street NW think that most of the dialog within this thread is laughable.
    "I have squandered my resistance
    For a pocketful of mumbles,
    Such are promises
    All lies and jest

Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
    And disregards the rest."

Any updates on if this went thru.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    "I have squandered my resistance
    For a pocketful of mumbles,
    Such are promises
    All lies and jest

Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
    And disregards the rest."
    I remember those guys. Brings back memories of the years when the Braendel brothers, Schetzel, myself and a couple others were running around the Chugach, Wrangells and the Alaska Range, when most who post on this site weren't even born, yet.

Become informed on what we know!

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...00#post1590300

no need to post it twice IMO

FSB_NR_WSA17_03_Hearings.pdf

Larry
    https://pristineventures.com

Public hearing scheduled May 10th 6-9 pm Inupiat Haritage Center Utiagvik (Barrow). Have my fingers crossed. here is the link
    https://www.doi.gov/subsistence/publ...federal-public

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345