Thread: Reds on the kenai?...

Default Reds on the kenai?...

Headed south this weekend for Halibut on Sunday, but looking for some info on where we could stop and try our luck with Reds. I'm hoping a few of you had the fisherman flu this week and can shed some light.

Is the Russian really that slow?
    What about down from the Soldotna bridge?
    Anything out of Bing's?

Thanks.

Default I'll be there

I'll Be down there this weekend also We usually stat at the centienial campground and fish from shore there for reds. Last reports said it was still slow, but the commercial guys are expecting a major push to the beach, and rivers anyday now. Shoot me a pm if you want and I will tell you what I know.

akfishfool.

Default kasilof maybe?

The numbers don't Look good for the Kenai, and I'm betting a commercial opener will happen sat and sun. I am thinking of dipping and fishing Kasilof. It's getting 8-9,000 a day and that is pretty good for the Kasilof.

I'm thinking the Russain will start getting some 2nd run fish any day now. I might fish there on sunday.

Unhappy Kenai Reds

I just returned from a few days fishing there, awaiting the second run. Took a chance and went down a week earlier than normal. This trip cured me of that. We beat the waters all up and down, and caught a number of dollies and a few steelheads, but not one red. No one else was, either. Talked to a few of the king guides and none has seen any sign of the next run yet. Supposedly, they are concentrating about 10 miles out, flushing their gills in preparation of hitting the fresh water. This week is too early. Next week should be prime.

The Russian IS VERY slow right now.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Kasilof/Crooked Creek

Stopped in today, watched everyone for a few hours, no caught anything!
    Nothing flipping on the surface either, not sure where the 8,000 went!

Default Kenai/Russian

Spent 2 days fishing for kings from eagle rock to the bridge, not many reds showing, fished the Russian last night 6 hours, no fish, fished the Russian this morning for 3 hours, 3 fish.
    If you get lucky and find a pod of fish, you can get a few.
    Good luck.

Default Reds Slow

We did a rainbow float trip last night and past by at least 40 people fishing for reds and no one caught or hooked anything. Still a few days early.
    Marc Theiler

Saw a couple on stringers at Swiftwater yesterday, mouth of Kenai for dipping was near nothing.

Default Kenai Reds

My son works on a commercial boat (I know, we are supposed to be diametrically opposed????). They did very well yesterday but had to go almost to Ninilchik to find fish. They are coming, but not yet...

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    My son works on a commercial boat (I know, we are supposed to be diametrically opposed????). They did very well yesterday but had to go almost to Ninilchik to find fish. They are coming, but not yet...
    AFG is absolutely corrrect. They're coming....

The central drift fleet cleaned up on its regular opener yesterday... caught nearly as many fish in one day as they have the rest of the season combined up to that point.

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/marin...catchxarea.php

East-side set-nets intercepted 666 kings that day as well. Is that a forboding number or what? YTD - 2572 kings snared by the ESSN's so far, most in the Kasilof section. Up, up, and away she goes... where she stops nobody knows.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I got one last week on the Kenai on a K-16 Qwickfish (yeah a k-16 Quickfish) maybe that is going to be the new hot lure for them. Just to play it safe I wont tell you my top secret color combo for reds

Talking There are some reds in Russian

Went to Russian Thursday early and jumped reds for about two hours before it quieted down. It was great since everyone stayed home because they heard that therre were no fish! Sanctuary does have reds and a few are still bright enough to bring on home. By 8 am it was dead quiet though. Now's the time to go before all the toursits return for the next big run.

Exclamation Success- But slow

Just got back from the kenai dipping from a boat, spent 2 days and probably 10 hours, got 5 reds, 1 - 10 lb king, and 2 large flounders( any advice on how to cook the flounder?)... Not extremely good fishing but thats 12 fillets.. not including the flounder

Those flounder aren't any good to eat, you might as well send them down to me. LOL. Anyway, I like'em filleted, lightly seasoned w/ S&P, dipped in buttermilk, then dredged in 1/2 flour-1/2 instant potatos. I season the dry mix with garlic powder, season salt, lemon pepper and a dash of Old Bay. I go light on the spices, but you can adjust to flavor. Heat oil to 375, I use peanut oil. Deep fry to light golden brown. Do not over cook.

Now's the time to go before all the toursits return for the next big run.
    Hey I resemble that remark.......we leave Tuesday morning, will be fishing Tuesday night.