Thread: Canning smoked salmon - got a question...

Default Canning smoked salmon - got a question...

I've canned a fair amount of raw salmon and have that process down well. This time i cold smoked salmon and want to can it.

I use a Bradley smoker and the wood biscuit heater raises the temp in the box to about 135 degrees. I ran smoke for 2 hours. The salmon appears to be partially cooked.

My question is this: When i pressure cook the salmon can i run it for less time because it has already started cooking? I don't want to overcook the fish.

I'm using an All American 921 pressure cooker and the book says to process for 110 minutes.

I appreciate your wisdom!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Unfortunately you can not and should not process for less time in the canner than the directions on your canner call for. The importance of using the correct time and pressure in the canner is not so much to cook what you are canning as it is to kill any bacteria spores that may be in the jars.

When canning smoked salmon the smoke flavor is usually intensified with canning so you don't need to smoke very long. When I do it I usually smoke for 45 minutes to an hour depending on the outside air temps which I try and do in winter when they are below 30.

It won't hurt to can what you have already smoked but it will be a little dry and on the darker side when done. Might be best to continue smoking until its done and either eat or vacuum seal and freeze this batch.

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    I've canned a fair amount of raw salmon and have that process down well. This time i cold smoked salmon and want to can it.

I use a Bradley smoker and the wood biscuit heater raises the temp in the box to about 135 degrees. I ran smoke for 2 hours. The salmon appears to be partially cooked.

My question is this: When i pressure cook the salmon can i run it for less time because it has already started cooking? I don't want to overcook the fish.

I'm using an All American 921 pressure cooker and the book says to process for 110 minutes.

I appreciate your wisdom!
    I would say no. You'll still need to meet the same time/pressure parameter to ensure you've killed any bacteria that make it into the jars, regardless of the fish being precooked, otherwise you risk botulism.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thanks guys, i was leaning toward "better safe than sorry" but thought i'd ask.

I think i will thaw some more salmon and add a few pieces of raw to each jar, that way the smoke flavor won't be too strong.

Thanks again for the advice.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

We usually smoke ours a couple hours in a Big Chief and then can (jars) per regular instructions.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Thanks to everyone offering advice. Now I know why my first try at canned smoked salmon turned out so dark. It was far too strong to eat but the dogs loved it in their kibble!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    Thanks to everyone offering advice. Now I know why my first try at canned smoked salmon turned out so dark. It was far too strong to eat but the dogs loved it in their kibble!!
    Did the same thing my first time canning as well. We found that it still works ok for use in dips. Mix a bit with plain cream cheese to make a stuffing for the mini sweet peppers. Cut the small sweet peppers in half lengthwise and stuff with the cheese/salmon mixture and then place on the BBQ until peppers are cooked and cheese is warm. Makes a great BBQ appetizer.

Do you add liquid when canning fish or just stuff the jar with salmon or both?

I have done both, where I would add a small amount of olive oil and some where I can just the fish. I don't find that the oil has any added benefit so no longer use it. When salmon is under smoked for canning there will be plenty of liquid in the jar without needing to add oil. Some people like to add a garlic clove, onion slices or Jalapeno slices but that is just personal preference.