Thread: Bear and wolf management on National Wildlife Refuges - Op/Ed - Kathleen Parker

Default Bear and wolf management on National Wildlife Refuges - Op/Ed - Kathleen Parker

The attached Op/Ed appeared in our local newspaper this morning (March 16, The Columbian, Vancouver, WA). It's from Kathleen Parker, a columnist from the Washington Post.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/03/1...dlife-refuges/

Regardless of where you stand on the issue, it's difficult to see how wildlife management in Alaska is improved by a Congressional resolution in Washington DC.

All kinds of misinformation in that article. Reads similar to what the humane society has published on the topic. If someone were to read the FWS wildlife rule, they would find that only a tiny section of the rule deals with hunting practices. All the opposition to H.J. Res.69 seems to focus on the inhumane hunting practices which the rule outlaws. Sure, the rule outlaws things like gassing wolves in there dens and same day airborne hunting for bears, but these activities are already illegal in Alaska. The guts of the rule mandate the FWS into using a hands-off approach to managing wildlife on refuges in Alaska (76,774,229 acres). This means animal abundance peaks and valleys, with abrupt dives in population numbers. This would equate to hunting closures for unknown amounts of time, possibly even permanent. How is that good for rural residents that depend on wildlife resources? How is that good for general hunters both res and nonres, wildlife viewers, and tourists who utilize public lands in Alaska and depend on steady populations of wildlife on Alaska's refuges? IMO, it's easy to see how wildlife management in Alaska is improved with the passing of H.J. Res. 69 which repeals the FWS wildlife rule for Alaska.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    All kinds of misinformation in that article. Reads similar to what the humane society has published on the topic. If someone were to read the FWS wildlife rule, they would find that only a tiny section of the rule deals with hunting practices. All the opposition to H.J. Res.69 seems to focus on the inhumane hunting practices which the rule outlaws. Sure, the rule outlaws things like gassing wolves in there dens and same day airborne hunting for bears, but these activities are already illegal in Alaska. The guts of the rule mandate the FWS into using a hands-off approach to managing wildlife on refuges in Alaska (76,774,229 acres). This means animal abundance peaks and valleys, with abrupt dives in population numbers. This would equate to hunting closures for unknown amounts of time, possibly even permanent. How is that good for rural residents that depend on wildlife resources? How is that good for general hunters both res and nonres, wildlife viewers, and tourists who utilize public lands in Alaska and depend on steady populations of wildlife on Alaska's refuges? IMO, it's easy to see how wildlife management in Alaska is improved with the passing of H.J. Res. 69 which repeals the FWS wildlife rule for Alaska.
    Very well articulated. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Reads similar to what the humane society has published on the topic.
    Kinda funny, the first time I the read the article I didn't notice the author states that her son works for the humane society. Guess I was right in where her (mis)information came from.

https://www.senate.gov/floor/index.htm

HJR 69 is being debated on the senate floor right now....

Thanks. I can't get it to run, but I'll keep trying......

Quote Originally Posted by Cohoangler View Post
    Thanks. I can't get it to run, but I'll keep trying......
    I can only get it to work using internet explorer. Debate began with HJR 69 but after the two Alaskan Senators gave their comments and a couple others opposed, they have moved on it seems.

H.J. Res. 69 was just passed in the Senate and is on the way to the presidents desk. Good news for Alaska wildlife management.

The final vote was 52-47. The resolution is remarkably short. It disapproves and sets aside the rule by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

An article from National Public Radio on the subject:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...lves-in-alaska