Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pony Cove

Question Pony Cove

Hey everyone,

I am not that familiar with Seward. I remember fishing resurection bay for silvers out by the cliffs on the south side many years ago.

I have been hearing alot about Pony Cove. Where is it?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Where?

26 miles from the harbor, due south on the west side. Almost to the end of the bay.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post
    26 miles from the harbor, due south on the west side. Almost to the end of the bay.
    OK is pony cove within Resurrection bay? Or do you head out of Resurrection, head south? Just want to clarify.

I have fished the "cliffs" on the south side of Resurrection Bay, just before the Glacier. It has been a long time since I have been out there.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

It's out at the mouth of the bay, i.e. past the rocks.

You are going to have a chart with you when you head out, right?

Not a nautical chart, but topozone is always a great place to find out where places are. Set the display on large and scale 1:1,000,000

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...&size=l&s=1000

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    It's out at the mouth of the bay, i.e. past the rocks.

You are going to have a chart with you when you head out, right?

Not a nautical chart, but topozone is always a great place to find out where places are. Set the display on large and scale 1:1,000,000

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...&size=l&s=1000

Yes on the chart, along with my Lowrance color GPS unit.

Thanks. I just wanted to get a general idea where it was. I do PWS out of Whittier, but like trolling for silvers and had good luck out there a number of years ago.

Thanks Paul.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Pony

AKBassing,

This time of the year all you have to do is look for the fleet of about 50-100 boats and if it's not Pony then it's were the fish are. We were out last weekend and not only did we get into the Silvers big time but also managed to haul out a 40+ King. Good luck.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

TriIron -

Dang. I was planning on heading to Pony tomorrow after work, but after reading about your king I'm going to have to duct tape myself to my desk chair to keep from leaving now.

Care to share the technique (mooch, depth, rig, etc.) you used to catch that hawg?

Wink Kings

Send me a PM and I'd be glad to give you some pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Send me a PM and I'd be glad to give you some pointers.
    Done! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    AKBassing,

This time of the year all you have to do is look for the fleet of about 50-100 boats and if it's not Pony then it's were the fish are. We were out last weekend and not only did we get into the Silvers big time but also managed to haul out a 40+ King. Good luck.

Thanks! My daughter will be up here next week, so I want to see her get into some silvers.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Can anyone recommend a place to fish for halibut close to Pony Cove?
    Tennessee

Default Don't know a good one but...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Can anyone recommend a place to fish for halibut close to Pony Cove?
    I don't know any good places, I'm looking myself. We caught four yesterday just on the ocean side of Rugged Island(the last one, it's close to Pony cove). They were chickens, but hey it's halibut. Kind of rocky though with a bunch of rockfish grabbing your stuff.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default pony

wow slayed them the last couple days at pony with downriggers at around 35' have to say the fonz from B&J set me up with the right gear poles reel and everything. even went out a bit further and fished to catch something extra thanks kiktabasco1 had a blast and did catch it all :] thank you all who share info here if i can help anyone please just ask and if I can I will help if it is somewhere close to seward I really like the town and area. Thank you all again makes it easy to be a productive fisherman

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the info too. My step-daughter is due up on Thursday. Her first time to Alaska, let alone out of Missouri.

Now she worried about skin-cancer because Alaska is closer to the sun than Missouri! Some of those L48 perceptions.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Pony Cove

BassKing,

I might have missed it but what kind of boat do you have? Some people get a little anxious when they turn the corner and look across to Pony Cove at all the water between them and the fishing. We were out this last Saturday and Sunday in the area. Did good in the Cheval area (just short of Pony Cove) but the Dog Fish (sharks) wouldn't leave us alone at Pony Cove Saturday afternoon. Sunday was such a great day we went aroung the point to view the glaciers.

Bullwinkle

Spend part of Saturday and Sunday at Pony. Catching Saturday wasn't as good as I heard it was the day before, and Sunday was worse. Fish are there if you put in the time, and yes, the spiny dogfish at Pony were bad Saturday afternoon and worse on Sunday. Saw TriIron's boat on the water and should have said hello, but I kind of get tunnel vision when I'm fishing

Default Hey

Yea I know what you mean. I meant to keep a look out for ya but I had a boat full of novices and I was busy just trying to keep the boat from running over the moochers, keep the lines baited, downriggers at the right depth and net the fish all while attempting to make sure nobody fell overboard. Fished Sat and Sunday both great days. My son's girlfriend wanted to know why we didn't catch another +40lb King like last weekend!!! Ya gotta love Alaska in the summer (and winter-spring-fall).

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle50 View Post
    BassKing,

I might have missed it but what kind of boat do you have? Some people get a little anxious when they turn the corner and look across to Pony Cove at all the water between them and the fishing. We were out this last Saturday and Sunday in the area. Did good in the Cheval area (just short of Pony Cove) but the Dog Fish (sharks) wouldn't leave us alone at Pony Cove Saturday afternoon. Sunday was such a great day we went aroung the point to view the glaciers.

Bullwinkle

I run out of Whittier all the time now in my Wooldridge. Running 50 miles one way is no big deal for me, so long as the water isn't real bad.

I know that the wind tends to come up in late afternoon in Resurrection Bay.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default Winds

Yes they do...had fun coming back in on saturday in a 16' Tracker boat.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Yes they do...had fun coming back in on saturday in a 16' Tracker boat.

Now that is a feat!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast