Thread: Made a mistake?

Default Made a mistake?

I may have made a mistake!

I purchased a 300 Rem SA ultra mag. Sportsman Warehouse only sell bullets for this in the 165 gr by Remington. Not much selection for this. It looks like WIN has alot more selection.

Question:

Can a gun smith do some work on my rifle to allow it to shoot the WIN bullets?
    If so, who would you send me to? Is it better to just sell this rifle and get a win mag instead?

Thanks in advance.

Troy

I believe a 'smith can rechamber your rifle the WSM model (I am not 100% sure on that though). There are many companies that sell the other loadings for the SAUM though,Midway USA and some others.You have a very good caliber in the SAUM,I would just buy the ammo from different places or start to Re-load them yourself.That is going to be the only way to get the full potential out of it anyway.

I know that the Warehouse carries different stuff through out the year.I would check in every once in awhile to see if they have different stuff.I do know that Boondock's up in Eagle River carries a couple different loads.But if it were up to me,I would learn how to reload,if you dont already.

Tim

Default Thanks

I will stop by Boondock's tonite after work and see what they have. I would like to get into reloading but it has been almost 30 years since I did it once.

I will be looking at the other forum to gather info. My plan is to purchase one piece of equiptment per month until I have everything needed. My brother is also going to purchase a item a month, so maybe this should take to long.

Any ideas on what I should get? I do beleive in purchasing the best so I don't have to make another purchase down the road.

Troy

My suggestion is Redding and RCBS equipment. I have no complaints and they are reasonably priced. Good luck with it regardless of what you get.

For the cost of re-chambering, you can get into reloading. Then you'll have the most flexible setup.

I would check out e-bray for used, the gun shows often have great deals on used reloading gear. I've bought three like new RCBS rock chuckers for 75.00 each over the years at the different shows. Caution on buying gun powder, make sure the container still has the factory seal.

My first choice in dies (outside of custom made) is Redding, next is RCBS. I have a lot of different brands but like these two brands about best.

Good luck!

I have to say Redding is my pick followed by Forester than RCBS you can not make a wrong decision just buy the best you can afford cause once you get hooked on it you will always want something better.

I sent you an email about some reloading equipment. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post

I purchased a 300 Rem SA ultra mag. Sportsman Warehouse only sell bullets for this in the 165 gr by Remington. Not much selection for this. It looks like WIN has alot more selection.

Question:

If so, who would you send me to? Is it better to just sell this rifle and get a win mag instead?

Thanks in advance.

Troy

A gunsmith can and will do all kinds of work on our rifle. If the M700 short action would house the WSM they would have chambered it in WSM. I wouldn't advise the rechamber, same bolt head but the WSM is longer and won't fit the magazine unless modified.

Save you money and buy some brass and reloading equipment.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default good round!

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post

Question:

Thanks in advance.

Troy

The 300 SA RUM is an outstanding round and I would not write it off! Boondocks does sell ammo for it and I found the 180's to shoot best out of mine. I did buy 10 boxes when they were like 28.50 and now their like 52.00. a box. I have the RMEF special eddition 700 REM and love it, it's an outstanding 300+ yard shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    ..now their like 52.00. a box..
    Cough, cough, hack, hack, cough, sputter.
    I'm sorry I was choking on something.