Thread: Don't do this!

Default Don't do this!

A local acquaintance recently bought a TC White Mountain Carbine from another acquaintance of both of us. The White Mountain Carbine was wearing a front mounted scope base for a long eye relief scope. I was asked if I could take the base off and put the original sights that came with the gun back on. Of course was my answer. However those base screws would not budge even after applying a torch to the screw heads for a period of time long enough to cause any Loctite to let go. I called the original owner of the gun and asked him what he used to secure the screws so tight. His answer was JB Weld on the threads before he tightened them down. Yew boy! So much for saving the base. I drilled the heads off of the screws and got the base off but that left me with a very short portion of screw extending above the barrel and it was barely enough to get my vise grips on. I applied heat once more putting the the tip of the blue flame on the screw stub sticking out of the barrel. Once the screw started to turn red I snapped the vice grips back on it and turned it out, then repeated on the other 2 screws. I spent 2 hours doing a job that should have taken 10 minutes

The guy that welded the screws in the gun also has 3 Marlin lever guns for sale and they are all wearing scopes. Same dude is thinking about buying all three of them and wants me to take the scopes off and reinstall the sights. Yes JB Weld is involved with each one of the three. I told him to offer the guy $50 less for each gun as If I am going to spend most of the day on the three I should be paid $50 each......he acted like I was robbing him at the price of $50 ea. so I withdrew my offer to get involved. He did not make his million in private business by not charging people for their time.

Bottom line.....don't use JB Weld or epoxies to keep base screws tight!

Hey, those screws never came loose, did they?!

lol.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

recoil proof if I say so myself! lol.......nothing wrong with Loc-tite blue tho'.

There should be severe punishment required for folks who use JB weld on any firearm for any reason.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    There should be severe punishment required for folks who use JB weld on any firearm for any reason.
    I used some for the igniter mount on my potato gun. I hope thats acceptable?lol
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    A local acquaintance recently bought a TC White Mountain Carbine from another acquaintance of both of us. The White Mountain Carbine was wearing a front mounted scope base for a long eye relief scope. I was asked if I could take the base off and put the original sights that came with the gun back on. Of course was my answer. However those base screws would not budge even after applying a torch to the screw heads for a period of time long enough to cause any Loctite to let go. I called the original owner of the gun and asked him what he used to secure the screws so tight. His answer was JB Weld on the threads before he tightened them down. Yew boy! So much for saving the base. I drilled the heads off of the screws and got the base off but that left me with a very short portion of screw extending above the barrel and it was barely enough to get my vise grips on. I applied heat once more putting the the tip of the blue flame on the screw stub sticking out of the barrel. Once the screw started to turn red I snapped the vice grips back on it and turned it out, then repeated on the other 2 screws. I spent 2 hours doing a job that should have taken 10 minutes

The guy that welded the screws in the gun also has 3 Marlin lever guns for sale and they are all wearing scopes. Same dude is thinking about buying all three of them and wants me to take the scopes off and reinstall the sights. Yes JB Weld is involved with each one of the three. I told him to offer the guy $50 less for each gun as If I am going to spend most of the day on the three I should be paid $50 each......he acted like I was robbing him at the price of $50 ea. so I withdrew my offer to get involved. He did not make his million in private business by not charging people for their time.

Bottom line.....don't use JB Weld or epoxies to keep base screws tight!
    EKC:
    I preciate the heads up.

Considering the amount of trouble you had, I'm impressed that you got them out. It sounds like it could have gone either way.

Some folks are just good at things, but, good thing, you withdrew your offer, when success is uncertain.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    EKC:
    I preciate the heads up.

Considering the amount of trouble you had, I'm impressed that you got them out. It sounds like it could have gone either way.

Some folks are just good at things, but, good thing, you withdrew your offer, when success is uncertain.

SOTN
    My luck might not be so good the next go around. I don't pretend to be a gunsmith....a man has got to know his limitations. This guy that is so fond of JB Weld also shot a hole in the floor board of his truck with a Remington 700. Absolutely not the guns fault and I don't care what stories the news media puts out there. Guys like this dude are an accident looking for a place to happen and when you multiply him by 10,000 Remington gets thrown under the bus.

When some guy brings a project to me that he can't do and starts out..."all ya gotta do is this", then it usually gets handed back with a snide remark like if it is so easy that I should be willing to do it for free then you ought to be able to do it yourself. Now if he would come to me in humble fashion and say EKC I really screwed up can you bail me out then it would be different. He is not royalty and I do not feel honored to work on his screw ups.He called me this morning and asked me to reconsider working on the guns and could I do it today??? I told him that I had just unloaded a vintage motorcycle into my garage that need the carbs boiled out and gone through and the tank replaced and the guy handed me $500 before I ever started and you want me to put that aside so I can work on your guns that were messed up on purpose for free? This guy is an ex city councilman, a big wig at the country club and is use to calling the shots and looking down at folk. That doesn't land square with EKC.........he's a pecker head!

Smitty if you was my next door neighbor I'd help you fix anything for nothing and if it was gun related and we couldn't figure it out we'd box it up and send it to gunbugs prior to our tinkering rendering it a mess.

Now to the garage and that motorcycle...where I am in my realm!

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post

I knew a guy who tried to use JB weld to repair a leaking fuel fitting on a helicopter one time. That is the only worse use of JB weld I can think of.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    recoil proof if I say so myself! lol.......nothing wrong with Loc-tite blue tho'.
    Sometimes blue Loctite is about as bad as red Loctite, which is almost as bad as JB Weld - in my humble opinion. Consider using purple Loctite, #222MS - 1/4" screws will never come loose on their own and a screwdriver will always be able to take that screw out with minor effort. Try it, you'll like it.

This guy is an ex city councilman, a big wig at the country club and is use to calling the shots and looking down at folk.
    A legend in his own mind. I'd make a side bet with you if I had anything to bet with. Maybe the better bet is that you won't take my side bet. But here goes anyway: I'll bet you dollars to donuts that he's going to walk away and spread the story about how YOU messed up his guns. With his track record, he sure isn't going to take the blame himself.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    A legend in his own mind. I'd make a side bet with you if I had anything to bet with. Maybe the better bet is that you won't take my side bet. But here goes anyway: I'll bet you dollars to donuts that he's going to walk away and spread the story about how YOU messed up his guns. With his track record, he sure isn't going to take the blame himself.
    And I'd bet you a dollar to a dog turd that you are exactly right. For the right person I would mess with those guns at no charge but this yahoo and I need to go in opposite directions. He's the only man I know that wears a ring on his booger picking finger and that aint right but it doesn't bother me near as bad as the little diamond stud on the side of his snout! What happens to some people when they turn 65 and act like they are going to relive Woodstock all by themselves. He reminds me of Kris Kristofferson's role in the movie "Payback".

And I'd bet you a dollar to a dog turd that you are exactly right. For the right person I would mess with those guns at no charge but this yahoo and I need to go in opposite directions. He's the only man I know that wears a ring on his booger picking finger and that aint right but it doesn't bother me near as bad as the little diamond stud on the side of his snout! What happens to some people when they turn 65 and act like they are going to relive Woodstock all by themselves. He reminds me of Kris Kristofferson's role in the movie "Payback".
    Well, some people have a hard time trying to figure out what it means to grow old gracefully.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

ROFL Best description I've seen in a while!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"