Thread: A pretty good day! (HORDES of reds)

Default A pretty good day! (HORDES of reds)

Not such a bad day on the Newhalen River. Reds were so thick you could practically walk across them. I read an article years ago that claimed more reds move up the Newhalen in a single day at the peak of the run than hit the Russian in an entire year. Given what I saw today, I believe it.

It was the first time I had fished there in nearly 10 years, and what a day it was! Even better, my wife and mother both completely out-fished me for the first time. I love it!

Man, great pics and looks like an incredible day! I am envious!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default flight

Very nice catch! Did you fly to Iliamma to get there? Which airlines fly from Anchorage to Iliamma?

Quote Originally Posted by rbj13 View Post
    Did you fly to Iliamma to get there? Which airlines fly from Anchorage to Iliamma?
    We flew ourselves, but I know that PenAir and Illiamna Air both fly there from Anchorage. The run over there is typically pretty short, but if you can get on it this weekend it should still be great.

Default Access

Brian, did you have any trouble accessing the river to fish? Iv'e never fished there, but have heard that the land owners (Native Corp.) are pretty strict about people fishing along the banks. Last I heard they were even upset at folks accessing by boat and then fishing while standing in the water below the ordinary high water mark.

Default Great place to fish!

Lotta planes there? I haven't fished there since '90! I used to love going there with my dad. There used to be quite a few planes/pilots there on the weekends. See any bears?

Tim

Default timing

Also how did you time it? Did you watch run charts or call someone?? Just thinking of this or next year now, but that looks fantastic. Kinda stuff we live up here for.

Thanks!!
    Mike

Default wow...

...great pics Brian! Glad you could get out with the extended family and catch some fish for the freezer. We're not used to seeing "silver" colored salmon here <grin>. That one your mom is holding is a dandy.

Charlie - Nope, no problems with access. The trail down to the bank is an easement, and I didn't see any signs along the river indicating that it was under private or native corp. ownership.

Tim - There were surprisingly few airplanes, and even fewer people. There used to always be at least 50-100 people fishing down there when I went in the 90's, but we only saw maybe 20 people total. By the time we packed up and left we literally had the whole river to ourselves. No bears, but we got out of there at around 8:00pm, which is when they used to start coming out when I fished it previously.

Mike - Just went by the traditional run dates and, quite frankly, the weather. We've been hoping to get over there for nearly a week now, but Lake Clark Pass was clouded in most of those days. I also kept an eye on the commercial catch for the Kvichak district on ADF&G's website. Right before we left I also called the Illiamna General Store and asked if the fish were in.

Mark - Thanks! It was a great time to be out, especially as my in-laws will be here for the next 10 days which will slow us down just a touch. That one my mother is holding was the last fish of the day and also the largest. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it was the thickest bodied red I can recall. Overall I was pretty impressed with the size of the fish - probably 2 pounds heavier on average than the early run Russian fish this year, which seemed large as well.

Oh Man, Nice catch! What is the limit out there? You gatta be happy with a day well spent with your family.

I gotta ask ...who was the pilot?
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

tull - The limit is 5 out there, so the wife and I had 30 fillets to package this morning. That's the kind of work that I don't mind doing, however.

I was the pilot, though my mother is a pilot as well. (Her airplane, but I've got a key...which is almost better than owning my own plane. )

Wow Brian, Great pics as usual. Im still jealous of your grayling pictures. Someday i hope the wife and I can get a flight out to alsworth and spend a day fishing there for those grayling. Sweet catch of reds though
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Nice catch of reds. Dude what happened to the go-tee. You were sporting that sucker like a rockstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Nice catch of reds. Dude what happened to the go-tee. You were sporting that sucker like a rockstar.
    Funny thing about blonde facial hair is that you can't see it very well at certain angles. It's still there, but the wife is none too happy about it. With our anniversary coming up in 5 days, my sorry attempt at facial hair may be ending soon. Ha!