Thread: Sportsman stol on cessna 185F

Default Sportsman stol on cessna 185F

Can anyone here share their results of installing a sportsman stol kiit on a stock 185F wing? No extentions or VG's.

I'd like to here your comments and compare them to my finds. I just installed the sportsman as described on my 185F. Flew it today on first flight after installation and performed slow flight and stalls and such. Light loaded and cold temps here: zero F* or there abouts. .

No experience installing a Sportsman, but would be interested to hear yours.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I've got about 20hrs on the new wing. Seems to have improved the final flare at low landing speeds. It did noticeably increase the angle of at attack at stalls, power on and off, and seems to improved the rate of climb. At first, I found the change somewhat subtle, but the more I'm paying attention and working the slower flight envelope, I am feeling the minor improvements in flight character. I just removed skis so now I should be able to really make a fair comparison with previous flights. Overall I,m pleased with the improvement. My shop did a great job installing them. Would I do it again: jury is still in deliberation. If I was re-building a set of wings: yep, for sure. If just upgrading a later model cessna wing: I'm not convinced yet. The $$$$.... And that's a lot of avgas one could by and become more a proficient pilot just flying the original wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Putzpilot View Post
    I've got about 20hrs on the new wing. Seems to have improved the final flare at low landing speeds. It did noticeably increase the angle of at attack at stalls, power on and off, and seems to improved the rate of climb. At first, I found the change somewhat subtle, but the more I'm paying attention and working the slower flight envelope, I am feeling the minor improvements in flight character. I just removed skis so now I should be able to really make a fair comparison with previous flights. Overall I,m pleased with the improvement. My shop did a great job installing them. Would I do it again: jury is still in deliberation. If I was re-building a set of wings: yep, for sure. If just upgrading a later model cessna wing: I'm not convinced yet. The $$$$.... And that's a lot of avgas one could by and become more a proficient pilot just flying the original wing.
    "And that's a lot of avgas one could by and become more a proficient pilot just flying the original wing."
    Tim

The 'F' wing (and earlier models) needed a better leading edge cuff. The 'G' has a good cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    The 'F' wing (and earlier models) needed a better leading edge cuff. The 'G' has a good cuff.
    The 206 was a 'G', the 185 was a wet wing II that had the improved cuff...

1973 was the introduction of the A185F and the 180J. It was also the first year 185's and 180's got the wing with the Robertson cuff. There were no other changes to the 185/180 wing profile after '73.

I can't speak to improvements from a clean Robertson cuff wing as when I purchased my '73 A185F it already had Robertson VG's and Delta Wings (purchased from ATS). A few years after the purchase I had Stene Aviation install a Sportsman STOL kit and Sportsman STOL WingX extensions, and Sportsman STOL Wing Tips, and he added Robertson VG's to the extensions (purchased from Carbon Cub at the time - the STC is now again under the ownership of BLR) - which in my opinion is the wing Cessna should have built.

Gone is the mush in really slow flight - the wing remains very solid and stable until it no longer flies, power off (or slow flight) stalls are sinks rather then stalls. It will slow flight (including turns) with me, half fuel and the regular stuff I carry in the extended baggage at 55mph, that's mph not knots. Touchdown speed in this same configuration is about 45mph. Cruise speed is the same and I got a bump in Gross Weight to 3525 with the WingX. I'd do these mods again in a heart beat.
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    ...It will slow flight (including turns)...
    Just want to clarify "turns" as shallow turns, like following a river. The point I wanted to make is at 55mph my 185 isn't hanging on the ragged edge of flight (although close). :-)
    Phil Whittemore
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

https://share.delorme.com/PhilWhittemore

Well, flown it with new cuff for roughly 20 hrs. Yes, seems to improve the lower end flight characteristics: couple of knots at landing and more positive control while in those parameters. Climb rate and increased, as well as, angle of attach are showing improvements. I haven't really study the cruise speed affects yet. Overall: I'm modestly satisfied( I can't really go back and remove it and get my money back. LOL). Not convinced yet I'd do it again, but that may change with more flight time. I do like the flare at landing now with the additional cuff: not so abrupt.