Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First boat for the Copper River?

Cool that I actually saw someone who posts on here. Nice that you did help.
    On the 28th I go look at a 17 Ft Alumaweld with 150 hp 2 stroke. He did say, in the rivers you should start out in 2 foot of water to be safe and to be careful where you put it down/stop.....I would have thought you would only need maybe a foot of water..... not sure. Nice looking boat in the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    Cool that I actually saw someone who posts on here. Nice that you did help.
    On the 28th I go look at a 17 Ft Alumaweld with 150 hp 2 stroke. He did say, in the rivers you should start out in 2 foot of water to be safe and to be careful where you put it down/stop.....I would have thought you would only need maybe a foot of water..... not sure. Nice looking boat in the pic.
    Not that I have any expertise, but I've been out with two guys who know what they're doing and they said the same thing. My boat when light and fully on step seems (can't say for sure) to take about 4" of draft, but it sure likes a big hole to start from.
    Back in AK

Yes when you start out the back end of the boat will bite down as the motor spools up. Once it gets up to operating speed and you start displacing water you need a lot less. I have run my boat through less than 6 inches of water on plane but when its just sitting there un-powered or I need to get it going I require 2 or 3 feet of water but I don't need that much for very long. Maybe 2 boat lengths depending on my weight.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks, I was surprised by that, but glad to hear it is normal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234