Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First boat for the Copper River?

Cool that I actually saw someone who posts on here. Nice that you did help.
    On the 28th I go look at a 17 Ft Alumaweld with 150 hp 2 stroke. He did say, in the rivers you should start out in 2 foot of water to be safe and to be careful where you put it down/stop.....I would have thought you would only need maybe a foot of water..... not sure. Nice looking boat in the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    Cool that I actually saw someone who posts on here. Nice that you did help.
    On the 28th I go look at a 17 Ft Alumaweld with 150 hp 2 stroke. He did say, in the rivers you should start out in 2 foot of water to be safe and to be careful where you put it down/stop.....I would have thought you would only need maybe a foot of water..... not sure. Nice looking boat in the pic.
    Not that I have any expertise, but I've been out with two guys who know what they're doing and they said the same thing. My boat when light and fully on step seems (can't say for sure) to take about 4" of draft, but it sure likes a big hole to start from.
    Back in AK

Yes when you start out the back end of the boat will bite down as the motor spools up. Once it gets up to operating speed and you start displacing water you need a lot less. I have run my boat through less than 6 inches of water on plane but when its just sitting there un-powered or I need to get it going I require 2 or 3 feet of water but I don't need that much for very long. Maybe 2 boat lengths depending on my weight.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Thanks, I was surprised by that, but glad to hear it is normal.

Today I picked up a 95 Hewescraft River Runner with a 115 Yamaha, short shaft, 2 stroke, that has a prop. It does need a little work, the bottom of the hull has a small slit in it (the guy said he still took it out on a lake and the bilge pump pumped out the little bit of water that came in), but the engine is suppose to run good (He didn't want to start it, due to it being so cold, I did have him put it in gear and we turn the prop in forward and reverse). The boat looks to be in good shape other than that. I am now keeping an eye out for a jet

You’ll need this permit this year no longer state land at the bridge.

https://ahtna-inc.com/lands/land-permits/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Thanks for letting me know.

I found a new jet down the road, do you know how can I tell if it will fit my Yamaha 115 2 stroke? It says 115-140 Suzuki, 81-present, 30672, and there is a W on it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    do you know how can I tell if it will fit my Yamaha 115 2 stroke? It says 115-140 Suzuki, 81-present, 30672, and there is a W on it.
    You can get onto the Specialty Jet website and start looking for your year of motor. Tons of good intel on that site if you dig a little..
    It would "appear" too be a bit odd for a Suzuki jet to just bolt up onto a Yamaha, they're typically brand specific for installation purposes.
    But never say never..
    Or you can call Deweys, AK Fab, AK M&D, etc., and all who sell jets and ask them for the correct model # that'll fit your motor..
    Probably a model AA4, not a W, but I'd double check...

Thanks, I'll try to find the site

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post

So now we gotta pay for the dip net permit, pay to launch the boat, and pay for ahtna's permit? What a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    So now we gotta pay for the dip net permit, pay to launch the boat, and pay for ahtna's permit? What a sham.
    I agree Chris this is a joke
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Mike, I don't see on the Athna site that Alaskan' will be required to purchase a land use permits from Ahtna to launch at the bridge. AOAA (Alsaka Outdoor Access Alliance) would have been adamantly opposed to such a measure just as we were opposed to, and helped stop the Klutina Lake road access give away that the Walker administration was about hand over. Unless, something has secretly slipped under our nose, the area at the bridge is still state land and everyone will have public access to launch there.

Mel
    North River, Alweld and Phantom Boats, Mercury Marine, FNM Marine Diesel
    Hamilton, Kodiak, Almarine Jet
    Prop, Impeller repair, Planar Heater Sales & Installation
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Are you saying the 1 acre easement set out by the state has been eliminated?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Are you guys running 4-6” with a tunnel jet or just a flat bottom?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Are you saying the 1 acre easement set out by the state has been eliminated?
    I heard this also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I heard this also.

I doubt the state would relinquish the easement, http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...Gulkana_A3.pdf

Looks like a question for the DNR guys
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Are you guys running 4-6” with a tunnel jet or just a flat bottom?
    My boat is a "semi v". When running that shallow I can't come off of it for sure. I did once last year and found myself in shin deep water lifting and pushing a boat. It sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I agree Chris this is a joke
    Yeah all the revenue generated from their other trespass permits and boat launch fees in addition to all the off limits lands and special hunt opportunities aren't enough they need another 25 to 50 bucks from a guy trying to get a few fish. Ludicrous.

I don't remember if I mentioned, but my boat has about a 5 inch cut in the bottom, so I pulled the floor boards ( plywood), and the Styrofoam and vacuumed up the dirt and such.

The back half is missing the Styrofoam. Can anyone tell me where I can get some more? I'm guessing it is some kind of fuel resistant foam.....?

I take the boat to a guy on KGB friday to get welded. I had to cut the fuel tanks and a couple supports out, I was thinking of just putting in flanges and bolting everything back in, but I think I'll have the guy weld it all back, shouldn't have to take the tanks out again and I would think it will be stronger with welds instead of bolts.

I did start the engine for the first time, let it run for about 15 - 20 seconds and it sounded good. I hope to have it ready for the water in the next week or two.

Cutting out the new floor boards looks like it might be a little tough. Since there are so many supports in the floor, I was thinking of using half inch treated wood, but I need to figure out what to put over it, that is a non slip.

Got the floor boards in, installing the seats and should have it in the water, for the first time, by this Saturday. I have a Jet coming for it from the Boat Company in Fairbanks. I did a quick search for a manual for the engine, but only came up with 99 and newer, mine is a 1995, any idea where I can find one locally? I'm am mainly talking about the engine.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast