Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First boat for the Copper River?

A step or two off topic, but if anyone is competent at running the Copper with a jet boat and/or knowledgeable about boating that river, there's some guy (i.e. me) with a new 23' Wooldridge that would trade beer and/or dipnetting time for some hands-on guidance on running the Copper.

Lots of pressure from friends and family about going dipnetting this summer, but I've firmly drawn the line at going on the Copper without some expertise on board.
    Back in AK

This boat seems expensive to me. Two years ago I bought this same boat, 1988, Yamaha 115 2 stroke, no bottom damage, 5hp 4 stroke kicker and an awning for $6500.
    As far as jet boating on the copper dippnetting this set up works great. But my 30 years experience dippneting the copper says the scary part is not operating or navigating the river, especially if you launch at O'Brian Creek. The scary part for me is the thought of loosing power/engine trouble. The water is deep. Yes the whirlpools are big but no problem for a boat. I carry a good anchor, and have a kicker for back up to try and make it to shore if the main engine quits. And don't overload your boat. 2 guys max in my boat no problem.

[1QUOTE=skybust;1586485]Here a good boat for copper

18.5' Wooldridge XTra Plus - $17000 (Wasilla) hide this posting unhide <image 1 of 4>

craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap

(google map)

condition: excellent
    engine hours (total): 500
    length overall (LOA): 19
    make / manufacturer: Wooldridge
    model name / number: XTra Plus
    propulsion type: power
    year manufactured: 1987

QR Code Link to This Post

Boat in great condition. Well taken care of. Honda 130 with jet unit with relatively low hours.
    Call or text.
    show contact info[/QUOTE]

Looks like I will be dip netting from the shore again, some property, not far from me, is for sale so I decided to use the money for a down payment on that instead. It is a 10 acre lot high and dry, thick with trees so.......maybe next year I'll look at boats again. Thanks for all the info, it is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    Looks like I will be dip netting from the shore again, some property, not far from me, is for sale so I decided to use the money for a down payment on that instead. It is a 10 acre lot high and dry, thick with trees so.......maybe next year I'll look at boats again. Thanks for all the info, it is helpful.
    You can book a charter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I'm going to go down on the 9th of June to see if anything is running then, might look into it after that, but since I won't have a boat, I'll just stay below the bridge. Might try the Kenai too.

akmike, when you dip net do you find a place to tie off or just float down the river?

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You surprised at what you see. If your above the bridge dip netting you'll be ok. But it won't take much and you won't have power to push you self back up.

I ran 50 horse prop all dip net season on copper above bridge dipnetting. The guide also runs a prop.
    As far as access it state Here a couple pics.

The copper is not a river learn how to run a boat on.

Nice boat and fish! Is that on the Copper?

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    Attachment 92436Attachment 92437

I like high sides and Horse power.

I fish above the chitna bridge. So we drift just like the photo below

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I fish above the chitna bridge. So we drift just like the photo below

do you see many toeing off to dipnet?

Yes down river. Not very often up river from bridge.
    Also up river from the bridge is a whole different permit. You need a Glennallen Sub district subsistence permit.

Is there a reason, you know of, why no one ties off up river? I know the permits are different, but from what I saw, looked like up river was safer than down river, although there are probably more fish down river since the fork is right there.....

What do you think of this one? pretty good price??

16' Hewescraft SeaRunner
    16foot aluminum run about. Powered by a 70 horse evenrude with a jetted lower end. Comes with a galvanized easy load trailor. Has rod holders, key start, 12volt bilge, and full canvas top. Also has ajustable kicker motor mount, good battery, walk through windshield, and 2 spair tires. Comes with bearing buddies and side guides on the trailor for easy loading. This boat has been stored in covered parking and is in great shape. I really hate to let it go but I'm building a house and need the money for material. Darrell

I found this for 3K and 18 ft long, no motor. boat and trailer. Seems like a good deal to get started, what do you guys think? The aluminum seems kind of thin.....is that normal? it is not like the alumwelds I looked at.

I found this for 3K and 18 ft long, no motor. boat and trailer. Seems like a good deal to get started, what do you guys think? The aluminum seems kind of thin.....is that normal? it is not like the alumwelds I looked at.

Buy it great starter boat right there.

Turned out, that boat was only a 16 ft and I noticed it had a big patch on the front with what looked like JB weld, about 12 inches across and he didn't have any paper work for the trailer, none of which was in his name, so I passed.

I am now looking at another one, which is a 20 ft Valco river boat. Has a 181 inboard four cylinder engine, they are asking 6500 for. Haven't looked at it yet. Have you heard anything about these? Didn't seem to much in the way of reviews on it.

Looks like that property is not going to go through, the guy can't get his wife to corporate, so I'm looking at some better boats now. Kind of sounded like the Wooldridge is a better boat for the rivers. I found a 95 Wooldridge Alaskan, 65/90 jet for just under 13K. any reason this wouldn't be a good boat for the Chitina, little sue, Big Sue and Yentna? Course it is up in Fairbanks.....

Default Getting a boat stuck - Chitina

I see what some of you have been talking about, this happened right in front of me. I could tell something was up, the guy was not driving the boat where all the other boats went and was going in circles and zig zagging back and forth for some reason before getting stuck.

Does anyone ever run up the Chitina River?

That was me coming to the rescue. Lol. That guy had just purchased that boat that morning. Took it to chitina launched to the right and got stuck immediately. We tossed him a wake to to help pop him off the rock and went back for a second run at him. Of course when I did I ended up stuck too and paid for my assistance with a cracked windshield when the center one swung open and hit the stop too hard. I didn't get stuck nearly as bad as he did however. I took us about 5 minutes to swing the boat off the rock we were high centered on and back into the deeper water where the jet could bite again.

Lesson number 1 know what you're doing before going out to chitina.

Lesson number 2 dont get yourself into a bad situation trying to help out (that one was for me).
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast