Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First boat for the Copper River?

Quote Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
    You put a jet on a 115 hp motor and only get 85 hp ? I suppose the jets come in different sizes then? I'll have to remember that
    Yes: jets are around 30% less than rated hp. So a 90 hp prop is usually a 60hp jet.

Take your powerhead HP rating and times it by .7....
    150x.7=105
    140x.7=98
    115x.7=80.5
    etc...

I ran the copper upstream from the bridge for the first time last year. I had an 1848 lowe with a 60 hp jet on it (40 at the pump). I felt like the boat was up to the task. But I approached everything very cautiously since I didn't know what to expect. I don't think I would feel comfortable heading down the canyon in a boat like mine (but I only have a couple of years of expeience running my own boat on rivers like the Knik, Little Su, 20-mile, and Placer) I never did have a huge load of fish on that trip so I'm not sure how much weight I could handle. I had 2 realtively light passengers and about 10 fish. We went for a ride a few miles upstream of the bridge. I wouldn't recommend dipping up high where you don't see other dipnetters - lots of snags on the bottom - we lost a net. My boat was definitely up to the task for all of the water I saw upstream of the bridge. I felt like I couldn't have gone much smaller though.

What do you think of a 19' Aluminum Welded Skiff? 28" high, 5ft wide at the bottom and 6 ft wide at the top? Looks kind of beefy....what do you think? if this will work in the copper and the Su, what is something like this worth? Comes with a rebuilt trailer, what ever that means.... What size motor would I need with something like this, looks kind of heavy, but I don't know for sure....

Attachment 92461

What do you think of a 19' Aluminum Welded Skiff? 28" high, 5ft wide at the bottom and 6 ft wide at the top? Looks kind of beefy....what do you think? if this will work in the copper and the Su, what is something like this worth? Comes with a rebuilt trailer, what ever that means.... What size motor would I need with something like this, looks kind of heavy, but I don't know for sure....

Attachment 92461
    i talked to this guy and he said this boat was made in the 50's and was made to be in the sound, said it can be beached on and type of shore...,would this still work for me?

Msta999

Right here is a great dip net boat

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa...8.html?lang=en

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Way to much money for that boat
    Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Msta999

Right here is a great dip net boat

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa...8.html?lang=en

Henry Bowman for President

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    Way to much money for that boat
    Price it out new!
    That boat is priced far!

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Yes, that is a nice boat, I looked at it before, I just don't see myself spending so much on a boat...,,maybe later but not now

I have run my 16 foot skiff with a 50 horse prop on this river about a doezen times and have hit bottom probly 5 or 6 times. I never lost a prop but got dinged up pretty good. My first time on the river I ran from the bridge down through the canyon and hit bottom twice pretty good trying to get back up to the launch with 2 guys and 40 fish. I found out with a prop you are better off to pay the fee and launch at obriens creek but the only problem is there is not much of a launch area there. The last couple times I had to launch off a steep drop off and right into some pretty good current. My trailer also took a pretty good beating getting it in and out. 4 wheel drive is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by alaska_pike View Post
    I have run my 16 foot skiff with a 50 horse prop on this river about a doezen times and have hit bottom probly 5 or 6 times. I never lost a prop but got dinged up pretty good. My first time on the river I ran from the bridge down through the canyon and hit bottom twice pretty good trying to get back up to the launch with 2 guys and 40 fish. I found out with a prop you are better off to pay the fee and launch at obriens creek but the only problem is there is not much of a launch area there. The last couple times I had to launch off a steep drop off and right into some pretty good current. My trailer also took a pretty good beating getting it in and out. 4 wheel drive is a must!
    Thanks, that is good to know. up till now, I assumed a 18 ft boat would be the standard for this river....it opens some other options..

I would say 18 is probly standard for most,.. you definitely got to watch it, if the water level is up I would not recommend launching a 16.

Heck of deal right here msta999

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa...4.html?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Heck of deal right here msta999

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa...4.html?lang=en

I did go look at this one, I was going to make an offer on it, but when I leaned against it, the side of the boat moved in, then I leaned away holding the side and it came out some. I didn't like that so I walked away.

What do you guys think of the Smokercraft, I almost bought one in Washington for the sound, didn't know they worked in the rivers too. there is a 18' with a 70 hp Yamaha I'm going to look at, looks like a killer price! 4600....

I did go look at this one, I was going to make an offer on it, but when I leaned against it, the side of the boat moved in, then I leaned away holding the side and it came out some. I didn't like that so I walked away.

What do you guys think of the Smokercraft, I almost bought one in Washington for the sound, didn't know they worked in the rivers too. there is a 18' with a 70 hp Yamaha I'm going to look at, looks like a killer price! 4600....
    Good call. I'd walked away too. Smokercraft are good boats too. 70hp will push her good.

I'll be sporting a new 2017 kingfisher 2175 extreme shallow for now one.

56e90009ed01bcec0ca9e60ac.jpg
    Ever see a Smokercraft like this? I think it has been modified....

He also said it is Little Su legal.....not sure what that means...

I did a search to see what kind of boat you are talking about and that is a nice boat! Congrats!

Here's a Wooldridge on CL that will do the job.
    https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/boa/6053129591.html

Here a good boat for copper

18.5' Wooldridge XTra Plus - $17000 (Wasilla) hide this posting unhide <image 1 of 4>

craigslist - Map data OpenStreetMap

(google map)

condition: excellent
    engine hours (total): 500
    length overall (LOA): 19
    make / manufacturer: Wooldridge
    model name / number: XTra Plus
    propulsion type: power
    year manufactured: 1987

QR Code Link to This Post

Boat in great condition. Well taken care of. Honda 130 with jet unit with relatively low hours.
    Call or text.
    show contact info
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I would wear a life jacket boating on the Copper, having rafted down from Chitina to Cordova if you fall in that river without a floatation device there's a good chance you're going to go under and not come back up.

I've never run a jet on the Copper - compared to running a jet on the Big Su or the Yentna how much worse is it? Having rafted it a while back it seemed like the kind of river I could run a jet on for most of it's length.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast