Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training for a sheep hunt

Default Training for a sheep hunt

Yep, just got started about 4 or 5 days ago. No sense in getting in a hurry, right? You know, a little walking, little running, stopping to eat raspberries and blueberries along the way. Yep, ripe blueberries on July 10. Figure eating berries is all part of the outdoor experience so better practice that too.
    So anyway, today I REALLY got serious about training. I am in shape. At my age ROUND constitutes a shape. Need to shed 12lbs or so. Ok, maybe a wee bit more, but let's not get carried away. Got back home and headed to the fridge and stopped myself. Nope, no beer after training. OUCH! 2 bottles of Gatorade later and I am still yearning for an Amber. Whoee, this training is tough.
    Sure glad there is no ice cream in the freezer or I would be attacking that too. Golly, this training thing is a pain in the fess!
    This mountain thing would be a bunch easier if I won the lottery, headed to S. America and brought back a load of Sherpas. I figure there are no regs against them in the Brooks bow only corridor.
    I know a bunch of you are planning on trips this fall up to altitude. I am warning you in advance to bring extra O2 because I am going to use more than my fair share. Don't blame me if you get caught short.
    Anybody want to share what your training plan is?

12oz. curls and reading hunting threads from the Alaska Outdoors Forum gets me mentally ready for the challenges ahead. I'm already in great shape (pair shape).

Thumbs up hiking, packing, and climbing

Jury Duty is over and I am headed to Chitina until Sheep Season.

I lifted weights 5 days per week.
    I ran 5-7 miles 5-6days per week.
    One day per week I would take my pack with 30lbs and do 5-6reps of 6 minute hill climbs. This really rocks the boiler.

Chitina is for fine tuning. I will work on the trail 2 days per week.
    I am planning on packing fish... 30 reds gutted and deheaded per trip to the wheel-.5 miles to road.

I will go to lost lake 1 per week.
    Cannonball hill in a 3-4 hill climb cycle.
    I also need to do the slide which is a rock slide that climbs to 4000 feet on the back side of one mile lake.
    I also have my 65lber dumbbells and I need to cut down dead trees on
    my dad's place in Lower Tonsina.

I also get to do some serious shooting. 2 per week.
    I hope that everybody has a good trip because I'm gone till Aug 14th.

Via Con Dios,

Default funny

AKRR:
    Thatís too funny, but true. Some years you just donít have much time to train. You know murphys law right? You will probably see and shoot the biggest sheep of your life two days out from camp. No worries. Just pack it out one piece at a time, theres no hurry nowÖ
    ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

Hey RiverRat! I go hiking with my pack up and over and back up and down birch hill. Up to 80lbs now. I'm going this afternoon from 4:30-6 rain or shine if you want to join me. Shoot me a pm. You can meet me at Farmers loop and steese, I'll let you know exactly where. Oh, and I ride my bike as hard and fast as I can a few times a week and do sqauts and some upper body weights. I can't train every day like kabku68 though cuz this 47 year old bod takes a few days to recover! But I can still give these young guys a run for thier money.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Talking Hire that animal!

All I can say is... I'm impressed. My suggestion to River Rat is to do whatever it takes to hire Koboku68 to do your packing. He'd might even pay you, just to get in some more training experience...what an animal. Hat's off to ya! One thing for sure, if Kobo isn't successful, it won't be from not being able to get to 'em.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default River Rat

I got a job doing construction for the summer. It has helped. But I have a genetic defect in my family and am still a little round. Mmbers of my family are born with one ab muscle.

Yep that has to be it. One ab muscle. ;D

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default missed snyd, going to do pickups

Snyd, I will try to figure out the pm stuff. Look forward to meeting you and doing a little walking. If you are carrying that much weight up and over the Tower loop at Birch, then I am bringing a leash to hook to your belt. You are now my newest best friend! Mush!
    I am heading off to do some pick ups. Remember the ones we used to do for coach back in the day? 400 easy, 400 hard, 400 easy, 400 hard? Well mine are a bit modified. Right foot up, left foot up, right foot up, left.......
    I was in the zone yesterday, moving right along when I hit the hill. My body started to go into O2 debt, the lactic acid started to build. I pushed hard to the top and made it. Felt better than Rocky at the top of the stairs. Yep, getting to the top of the bike path over that driveway on Chena Pump was a real killer, but I did er.
    Stalled long enough, time to go sweat (and eat berries). Oh hey! I think there is a problem with my scale. It doesn't show the weight coming off like I think it should. Will update you all tomorrow.

Talking

Okay, time to whip you into shape! Shoot me an email. perryschneider@mac.com

I'll be headed up again in a few days, maybe we can get AlaskaCub to join us. I start from the parking lot of Door of Hope Church and catch the bottom of Russels Revenge which takes you straight up to the Tower. Then drop over the back side down towards FWW all the way down to the bottom on an atv trail. Turn around and come back up and over and down.

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Training

I've been training hard since January. I'm taking it easier and maintaining at this point. Been doing the 125lb pack for 5.2 miles 2-3 times per week, then climbing a 2800 ascent once a week with a 50 lb pack. Today I loading my pack with all my gear and food, around 70 lbs, and did a 2000 foot ascent (blisters kept me from doing the whole 2800). When I don't get a chance to do the packing and climbing, I ride a recumbent bike for an hour. Also been lifting here and there, but strength isn't my weak point, stamina is. That's why all the climbing and hiking. I think it's important for anybody to train their weak points. I'm going to go more to the recumbent bike and lifting more, and rest the joints from the heavy pack. All that, and I know the sheep are training harder!!!!!
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default harness the animals

If I was in better shape I would catch Kaboku and Blackfoot and harness them to pull me into the mountains. Hah! And Snyd too. We'd put him up in lead.
    Wow, are you all motivating me or what? What a bunch of animals! Too crazy. You know, I think hunting waterfowl out of a blind with a good dog sure has its merits. Lot less getting sweaty and I would not have to make excuses for myself not to grab a cold one in the evening. I could even eat chips while at it.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm a whiner. Does anybody have a scale that lies well? I can't believe I have not lost 10 lbs after working out for 5 days.
    Today is donut day at work. Out of respect to all of you "purists" I will only eat 1/2. Geez, the things I do in the name of fun.

Talking suffering!

River Rat...just keep in mind that getting in great shape doesn't mean you won't suffer...you can just go further before suffering. But here's a question (maybe doesn't really need an answer), is one better off to suffer a little every day, for weeks and months before a hunting trip or better off to endure one large suffering during the hunt? Kinda like a weightlifting meet I went to one time. This guy (true story) was saying that he never trained for the competition, and someone asked why, he replied, "Because I'm saving all my energy for competing." Sounds good in theory, but too bad it doesn't work.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Missed the wagon

I did not make training on Friday. Ended up at some friends visiting and drinking wine. Got home late and had a beer. I didnt' fall off the wagon, I missed the whole darn thing!
    My wife and daughter got back from the Chilkoot so I have been listening to their stories and I am getting more fit by osmosis. My 13 year old daughter just poked me in the mid section and exclaimed, "I think it is getting firmer"! Gotta love those daughters. She is in animal status with Kabo and Blackfoot. I hope to have a belly as flat as hers. Now she wants me to join "PACE" at Jungle Gym with her. I have a sneaky hunch this is gonna hurt.
    Maydog, you are right about the training. The more you train the further you can go. Sort of like 4 wheel drive. Instead of getting stuck one axle deep with 2 wheel drive, you can get completely buried out in the swamp with 4X4. I guess I am building my 4X4 body now. If I get stuck I'll send up flares.
    My personal success on hunts has nothing to do with killing. It has everything to do with experiences encountered. To get the most out of the time spent I have to be able to get there and meet my own challenges. I am looking forwad to this next month training, sharing all of our experiences, and planning to be in the mountains in August. That doesn't mean I won't miss my Amber.

Default He's (not) training...

I had to post this because my husband (should) be training as well...
    ...but I will say what's nice about him coming back from sheep hunt is not only the meat... but the 10lbs he's lost somewhere in the wilderness on his hike/climb. (smiles)
    Lurker.

Default Met MR. Snyd

Holy Moly the guy is built! Arms about as big as my skinny legs. He picked up his 80 odd pound pack like I pick up a small bag of apples. WOW!
    We had a great hike up and over Birch Hill. He showed me some great trails and we had a good time visiting, getting to know each other, and sharing stories. No, we did not share favorite hunting spots or else one of us would have had to shoot the other.
    Here I am huffing and puffing carrying only about 10lbs. Poor guy, he had to stay out front so as to have a fresh flow of O2. I thought we were having a hurricane I was sucking and blowing so hard. The trees were almost uprooted. Ok, maybe he was out front cause I was so darn slow. He figured if he followed we may never get back to the trucks.
    So who is next? Snyd and I are planning on another get together most likely after next weekend, but I am still out walking and working on my deplorable condition. Anybody want to go for a walk?

Default No takers?

Come on Cub, what about you? Snyd said you were into S&M. A little pain, lots of fun, lets go train. Anybody else in Fairbanks want to get out, meet people, and get rid of the excuses about training?
    The day after Snyd and I did Birch Hill Tower Direct over the top I did (with only 15lbs, not Snyd's 80) Black Diamond to Black Cross, up Russel's revenge to South Tower, down to the Roller Coaster and back to the truck (1.75hr).
    Did UAF with my wife tonight. Power walked from Sheep Creek up to the top on the Equinox trail and back to the T-Field, around the end and back up and over (1.25hr).
    Hey Colorado, your husband may be soft but I doubt you are. Besides, if I can get anybody to go, I get to not work on the darn deck project that is staring me in the face. Yep, beside being out of shape I am a first class procrastinator.
    We'll get my wife to go too, but she has to carry 40lbs to slow her butt down!
    Snyd, I am trying to build for our next outing. Keep in touch and have a safe trip.

Lets do it , just need to get the days squared away when I am off. Snyd's a machine , why do you think we are sheep hunting together (grins). You know I have trained in years past like a lunatic and realized real quick when I killed my first sheep that I never intend to carry 120+ lbs ever again in sheep mountain terrain. 2 trips to me is much mo better than 1 and especially if that 1 is my last ever! I got on the stair stepper and treadmill today for an hour with the 55lb weight vest here at work, everytime I read about Perry hiking Birch it makes me feel bad! <grin>

Talking Juss doo eeet...!!

Don't let AKRiverRat aka "TheSleeper" fool ya. He looks like a marathon runner and could probably run up and over those hills! I think he's just pacing himself. Maybe he's training smart instead of hard. Doesn't that come with age.. I mean experience And everyone knows that all those fireman do is pump iron and eat like horses, plus he has youth on his side! AKCub may have to change his name to AKMule

You guys hit it hard and I'll be in touch when we get back. I took yesterday off but hit the squats today. Not too heavy though. Repping sets of 10 at 275.

Default 120 million pounds?

Geez Cub, I couldn't carry 120lbs with a hot air balloon. Back in the day (pre cro magnon when the sun was still young) a 100lb load was doable. I am hoping now that sheep are lighter than the prehistoric ones I used to hunt. Has anybody seen a full curl 50pounder? that would be just about right.
    I am free most evenings right after 5pm. Soccer tonight at 7:30 and don't want to miss my girl play, but we can work around that.
    Also free early Saturday or Sunday. Not like sun peeking over the hill early, but 8:30 or 9 gives me time to get my IV of coffee.
    If you know the pm deal send a message or Snyd has my contact info too.

To send a pm just click on the members name in a thread and you will see a drop down menu with a few choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast