Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenai river dipnetting?

Default Kenai river dipnetting?

I want any and all kenai dipnetting reports, family and I are thinking about heading down this weekend, is it worth it? And how should we dip from our 16' boat, any advice and reports are appreciated

PS I KNOW THIS SHOULD BE IN DIPNETTING BUT HARDLY ANYONE GOES THERE, SO SORRY IN ADVANCE BUT I NEED INFO

bump~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unhappy kenai dip

Really ssssssslllllllllloooooooowwwwwww. Just got back from watching the last dippers leave the beach and boat ramp. Only saw two fish caught in about 45 minutes. Keep an eye on the commercial catch for the regular Inlet wide opener tomorrow. Saw quite a few jumpers around ninilchik earlier in the day. I did pick up one king trolling today. Anyway hope this helps.

Default from previous dipnetting thread

Here is a really good post from Back Country Rob.

Here's the three links that everyone should resource to before making a dipping decision. The other half of the information is that there are two mandatory openings that are 12 hours and 36 hours that are in addition to the regular scheduled Monday and Thursday times and they are random (at the discretion of the fishery manager and biological supporting data). The OTF (Offshore Test Fishery) was 102 yesterday, anything above 60 is usually good dipping.

For Escapement Counts
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/mariner/uci/uciesc.php

For a Recorded Update
    907-262-9611

For Emergency Orders (EO's) (Make sure you select Upper Cook Inlet)
    http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsrelease/select.php

If I weren't going to check the run counts and keep track of commercial openings, I would go down on the 15th, but no earlier. Looking at the runs it's too early to say if this weekend will be good or not.

As far as using a boat, I've heard you need to be very patient launching and retrieving, as you can expect each task to take hours to do. I was going to take my boat down this year, but with the added hastle of launching and retrieving, I'd just as well dip off the beach as I have in years past.

Make sure you have helpers and a system for dealing with fish. When they come in hot and heavy, you really need to have a good way to clean and store them. Having them flop all over the deck is no way to take care of your catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If I weren't going to check the run counts and keep track of commercial openings, I would go down on the 15th, but no earlier. Looking at the runs it's too early to say if this weekend will be good or not.

As far as using a boat, I've heard you need to be very patient launching and retrieving, as you can expect each task to take hours to do. I was going to take my boat down this year, but with the added hastle of launching and retrieving, I'd just as well dip off the beach as I have in years past.

Make sure you have helpers and a system for dealing with fish. When they come in hot and heavy, you really need to have a good way to clean and store them. Having them flop all over the deck is no way to take care of your catch.
    Not a problem launching if you get there at around 4 am or so (dipnetting opens at 0600 if I remember). Motor on out, drop anchor and enjoy the sunrise and coffee, then fish like hell

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Having them flop all over the deck is no way to take care of your catch.
    Saw a solution to the floppin' problem last year. A couple of women had a garbage can strapped to the front of their console, pull the fish out of the net, clip the tail and right in the can.

I would skip this weekend. Odds are there will be commercial openings and there are only a few thousand coming in each day. Heck we haven't even broke 10,000 fish/day yet. Personally, I would stay home.

Default Weekend may be O.K on Sunday.

First, it is unlikely the upper beaches will fish any extra time this weekend. The escapement is not at a level to have extra fishing time. Also, if there is an upper beach opening it means fish are heavy on the beach which makes for good dip netting.

The last three days there has been good movement of sockeye across the Anchor Point line and the drift fleet did fairly well south of the island today. It usually takes fish 4-6 days to move at this time of year to the river so I would expect the front end of the escapement to move into the river around the 15th with the majority of the first push coming after that. If the wind is from the north the fish will not move but a good southwest wind may bring them. Check the weather for wind speed and direction. A good blow this time of year usually brings fish.

What I would suggest is that you check the river mouth on the Sat. morning tide from the beach and see if there is any activity. If not then you might want to move down to Kasilof - crowded but you have time to fish. Check the tide again Sunday morning and react again based on what you see.

What time in relationship to tide has been good for dip netting in the Kenai. I've had luck from a couple of hours after high tide until near low and on the opposite side, a couple of hours before high tide? Or maybe just got lucky. I was watching last night and it was really slow (saw one fish caught).

Go to Chitina, we could not keep them out of the net there.

Went down to kenai for fri and sat, spent about 3 hours on the water on friday and got 2 reds ( I got both of them, step dad got skunked), and im 14 haha. Went out again sat morning for 5-7 hours, got a 10 pound king, and 3 reds (again i got all the reds but he got the king). Also came back with 2 large flounder, any advice on preparing these/the taste?... Dipping was slow but it was our first time, WE WERE ON A BOAT. --- You will probably get a couple of fish but not many yet, and be prepared to get waked two times a minute.

Default Report. . .

My kids went out in a boat on Saturday morning's tide—two nets—and got two fish. They went out again on last night's tide and got 11.

They're out again on this morning's tide, on the beach. Will try to remember to post how they do.

Smile

Kids got five on this morning's tide, on the north Kenai beach.

The fish must still be a couple of days out. The numbers are terrible for reds. The sonar posted over 1000 kings for Saturday, it did not fish like it was a 1000 fish day, it was slow from 6 am to 6pm. It will be interesting to hear the reports from today. Wednesday was a 1000 king day and it fished really well, as expected.
    I hope the red numbers come up or else we could be seeing a repeat of last year.

Still sounds really slow... When the reds hit is it just for a day or two, or do you think we should be able to get our other 40 this weekend?

Just got back, I fished only a couple of hours from high tide this AM to about 11AM. There were a few coming out, those with longer nets were doing better. Most were happy with 3-5 fish by 11 (4 hours of dipping for most). Just what I observed and experienced.

Hey Nerka - I really appreciate the good info from you. With all of your experience in Cook Inlet it should be right on!!! Thanks

Exclamation

The numbers went to 7k yesterday and the offshore test fishery was at 215? Now im new to dipnetting the kenai but isnt 215 really high? What dates will the big push (Ones big enough to get 40 fish in 2 days) hit the beach? any advice appreciate

Default Mega Late Mega Slow

My Dad and I fished Saturday and Sunday; Dad was a little more aggressive than I. I spent most of the time napping and dad picked up twice as many fish as I; he got 12 reds and 2 pinks and I got 7 reds and threw back a couple of pinks... fishing is just darned slow. The OTF index (the offshore test fishery that the DF&G uses to gauge EO's) has been off the charts but I'm theorizing that it is inflated by schools of pinks. The recording on Sunday indicated that an EO was possible "If fish move into the river" in the Kasilof section which is the mouth of the Kasilof south to a point that is a few miles down the coast. We are in the same pattern as 2006 as far as escapement goes which means that if the pattern continues then dipping won't produce any decent numbers until the 21st; I hope that it happens sooner though. The flipside is that the fish we did end up keeping were freagin gigantic; the second run of reds are mutant in size and we can only hope that they show in force sooner than later. Good luck to all; I hope this helps some in planning.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

With a big push, you can get 40 fish in 2 hours. I'm still planning on heading down tomorrow, hopefully the count yesterday was higher than Sunday. If Wednesday is a dud, I'll probably go back on Friday.

I hope it isn't as late as last year, we'll see.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast