Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Okay what is your take on the data?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

just go fishing and don't get a headache looking at F&G charts

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

It seems that the shrimp population has increased the last 30 years, at least in the sample areas

A big increase from last year, perhaps we'll get the 5th pot back.
    Did just fine with 4 last year, filled my 5.5 CF shrimp freezer.

I don't put any faith in ADFG data, from my perspective there has been a steady decline over the years.

Here is the commercial shrimp pot regs.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../765470301.pdf .

Too bad they opened up the Nellie Juan.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Pretty steady increase from 1998 to 2006. Then a pretty steep drop until 2010. Back to an increasing trend through 2016. This is for mean number of shrimp per pot during their surveys.

Default Could be greedy

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    A big increase from last year, perhaps we'll get the 5th pot back.
    Did just fine with 4 last year, filled my 5.5 CF shrimp freezer.

I don't put any faith in ADFG data, from my perspective there has been a steady decline over the years.
    Do you think the declining/low numbers could be related to greed? Like filling a 5.5 cubic foot freezer?

Quote Originally Posted by truesubsistence View Post
    Do you think the declining/low numbers could be related to greed? Like filling a 5.5 cubic foot freezer?
    I'd call it skilled fishing and good eating. Or...you know...subsistence.

Anyhow, how about we leave the personal barbs out of it? That's not what any of us come here for.

Smile Offended the moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd call it skilled fishing and good eating. Or...you know...subsistence.

Anyhow, how about we leave the personal barbs out of it? That's not what any of us come here for.
    Your own "personal bard" is a response to me asking why the moderators were absent on another political forum. Couldn't resist could you?😀 Glad to see you support "skilled fishing" and filling an entire freezer with shrimp. Let's all go out and do the same and see how the resource holds up. Thanks for supporting excessive take. Let's all go out and "skillfully" harvest as many 250 pound female halibut as we can. Those 20 pound yellow eyes are great eating too. Need a bigger freezer for those. After all, completely legal, skillfully done, and good eating.

Your own "personal bard" is a response to me asking why the moderators were absent on another political forum. Couldn't resist could you?😀 Glad to see you support "skilled fishing" and filling an entire freezer with shrimp. Let's all go out and do the same and see how the resource holds up. Thanks for supporting excessive take. Let's all go out and "skillfully" harvest as many 250 pound female halibut as we can. Those 20 pound yellow eyes are great eating too. Need a bigger freezer for those. After all, completely legal, skillfully done, and good eating.
    I responded to this one before that one, so there is no connection there.

Forgive the snark in my post here. It was unnecessary.

The #1 most common complaint that I receive about the forums is that too often threads go awry because one member calls another one out publicly about some perceived ethical issue. Once that's done the thread rarely gets back on track, and such posts have unfortunately driven some members away from these forums. I simply ask that folks bring these concerns to others privately. Yes, ethics matter in the pursuit of fish and game and you're right that we shouldn't just take take take simply because we can. I'd wager, though, that addressing such concerns privately might bear more fruit than calling someone out as greedy in public.

Someone commented about filling their freezer with shrimp while lementing about the declining numbers. I understand that.

Last time I was in the Brooks Range, I only shot three Dall ewes. There was a time I could shoot three times that number in a single outing........😀 I am joking of course. Now, back to those shrimp numbers.

Pots are soaking right now so we will have numbers soon enough.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Your own "personal bard" is a response to me asking why the moderators were absent on another political forum. Couldn't resist could you? Glad to see you support "skilled fishing" and filling an entire freezer with shrimp. Let's all go out and do the same and see how the resource holds up. Thanks for supporting excessive take. Let's all go out and "skillfully" harvest as many 250 pound female halibut as we can. Those 20 pound yellow eyes are great eating too. Need a bigger freezer for those. After all, completely legal, skillfully done, and good eating.

very well said !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Question is who is to say it is greed? He may have a large family and they eat every last one. My wife eats any and all we catch (when we go out)

If you want to talk greed, Just look at the hooligan dipnetters with the 24 quart cooler full (and then magically they appear on Craigslist for a price)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I don't think the numbers of shrimp are necessarily down, but the age distribution seems to have changed as well as their location in the water column.
    At least this is how I felt in the area I shrimped last week. This is an area that was open to commercial shrimping last year. I saw more boats in this area on back to back weekends the past 12 days than I've ever seen before, but almost none during the week. I have used this area the past 7 years.

There was a good relationship of large shrimp to medium shrimp to small shrimp but almost no jumbo shrimp. The numbers are there but it takes more of them to make a pound or gallon. I felt the population was healthy but there seemed to be more eggers and smaller eggers than in past years at this time of year, which meant to me the population was breeding and they seemed healthy. I am concerned about a degree or two warming of the water, because the shrimp seem to be going a little deeper, good thing I have a good hauler.

I have felt for the past two commercial cycles that the interval between commercial harvest was to short for the life cycle of spot shrimp. If I could manage this fishery I'd have 6 areas and rotate with one a year open to commercial harvest as we do now. This seems in my mind to be more in line with the shrimp's life cycle. At the same time I'd close the area last open to commercial harvest to all shrimping the next season. Not trying to start an argument just expressing an opinion.

Going to 4 pots hasn't really had an effect on my shrimping. Now I have 2 adult kids that have started shrimping on their own permits and I catch less for myself than when they were at home. I'd like to see a good commercial harvest continue as well as a sport fishery for shrimp for my grand kids.

Quote Originally Posted by yanert View Post
    I don't think the numbers of shrimp are necessarily down, but the age distribution seems to have changed as well as their location in the water column.
    At least this is how I felt in the area I shrimped last week. This is an area that was open to commercial shrimping last year. I saw more boats in this area on back to back weekends the past 12 days than I've ever seen before, but almost none during the week. I have used this area the past 7 years.

There was a good relationship of large shrimp to medium shrimp to small shrimp but almost no jumbo shrimp. The numbers are there but it takes more of them to make a pound or gallon. I felt the population was healthy but there seemed to be more eggers and smaller eggers than in past years at this time of year, which meant to me the population was breeding and they seemed healthy. I am concerned about a degree or two warming of the water, because the shrimp seem to be going a little deeper, good thing I have a good hauler.

I have felt for the past two commercial cycles that the interval between commercial harvest was to short for the life cycle of spot shrimp. If I could manage this fishery I'd have 6 areas and rotate with one a year open to commercial harvest as we do now. This seems in my mind to be more in line with the shrimp's life cycle. At the same time I'd close the area last open to commercial harvest to all shrimping the next season. Not trying to start an argument just expressing an opinion.

Going to 4 pots hasn't really had an effect on my shrimping. Now I have 2 adult kids that have started shrimping on their own permits and I catch less for myself than when they were at home. I'd like to see a good commercial harvest continue as well as a sport fishery for shrimp for my grand kids.
    Great post! Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

its important not to let anecdote define the narrative as it creates conformation bias. probably best to let data drive any changes. with such a strict oversight of the harvest commercially, odds of over fishing are very low. and maybe 25 comm guys total fishing regularly.

I think the ADFG data looks accurate. The last couple of years I've seen an upswing in numbers and biomass in my pots. I will have to say that overall my catches are down. That is due to theft. I went out 18x last year. I had 4 pots stolen on one overnight and found 2 of them 5 miles away with a different bait in them (I only had to buy one more pot as I had my 5th pot from the year before and all the rigging for that...). i had pots moved and emptied on an overnight soak 8 other times. my day soaks still had good catches in these areas so I know it was theft. especially since I've been fishing the same area for 6 years :-(
    21' Koffler skiff
    Chicken of the Ski
    AK4735AB
    MMSI# 338155006