Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: DM830 best way in?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    50

    Default DM830 best way in?

    I drew DM830 and I'm trying to determine where to take off from. Also best places to get fuel along the river? How many miles from each take off point. Where is the check point located. Any info would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,206

    Default

    Check point would be at Ella's Cabin at mouth of Koyukuk. Fuel is obviously available at villages along the way. Fuel will be cheaper/readily available if you show up during normal business hours. I assume you want info on places to launch a boat and start your trip. Longest boat ride would be from Yukon bridge. Next, I think, would be Manley. Shortest would be the new Tanana Rd that hits the Yukon a few miles above the Tanana mouth. I'm not sure about land ownership and trespass enforcement at the new Tanana Rd. terminus. Only folks I know who have used it were originally from Yukon villages. Maybe DOT or DNR has info about that area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  3. #3
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Check point would be at Ella's Cabin at mouth of Koyukuk.
    Did they move it down stream?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Did they move it down stream?
    I thought I read huslia or houghs, but everyone says Ella's cabin. Really don't want to run all the way to huslia to turn around and hunt downstream just to run back up to checkout.

  5. #5
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Ella's cabin used to be located about 15 miles or so up the Koyukuk from the Yukon, on the left side of the river. The last time I made the trip was back in 2011 so things may have changed since then.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,206

    Default

    I'm not aware of the exact spot Ella's cabin is. Just assumed it was at the mouth or near there. I'm sure it is at the same spot it has always been. The unit 21/24 bio is in Fbks. Glenn Stout. 459-7218.
    Koyukuk Refuge staff is in Galena......656-1231.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  7. #7
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,284

    Default

    This should be the coordinates. Lat 65 0.919'N Long 157 33.577'W, not 100 percent but this is where I show it to be.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

  8. #8
    Member tzieli22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBOLING View Post
    I drew DM830 and I'm trying to determine where to take off from. Also best places to get fuel along the river? How many miles from each take off point. Where is the check point located. Any info would be appreciated.
    Do a search on "DM 830", and "Koyukuk moose hunt". You'll find all the answers and more to your questions. I've put several writeups on my hunts here. Do your homework! This hunt shouldn't be taken lightly....
    Tony

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    50

    Default Flying Meat out of Galena

    Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Do a search on "DM 830", and "Koyukuk moose hunt". You'll find all the answers and more to your questions. I've put several writeups on my hunts here. Do your homework! This hunt shouldn't be taken lightly....
    I've been doing a lot of research on this hunt. The wording on the ADF&G website threw me off a bit. My main concern is getting meat out due to the size of my boat 1872 Sea Ark with an 80Jet. My plan is to fly the meat out of Galena so we can run back to Manley as light as possible. Anyone know what the average cost of fuel will be this year on the Yukon? Price per pound to fly meat out of Galena with Everts or Rav'n? My boat can haul 2 guys gear and 90 gal of fuel at 27kts in the ocean. This is what I plan on leaving manley with, then topping off in Galena before heading up the Koyokuk. I should burn 6.5-8 gph at WOT. I have the land ownership maps for the area loaded in my GPS. My partner boat is a 20' wooldridge with a 140Jet zukzuk, his boat performs about the same as mine. I don't see us having an issue getting meat to Galena, however running it back to town on the river could pose a challenge depending on how many moose we take. He has the option of converting to a prop if we deem it necessary, he has the lower unit just no jack plate or bay kit as of yet. Our max will be 4 people and 3 moose between the 2 boats. We are all experienced hunters with the proper gear and experience. This is a dream of mine coming to fruition. One of the guys coming along has spent a substantial amount of time in the local villages when he worked for AVEC. The hunting fund has already been started and we will be well prepared with spare parts, communications, and funds. Is donating meat to the locals an option I see some of the outfitters do this. Not that I don't want all the meat just wondering if it would be legal for one and a way to give something back to the local population?

  10. #10
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    I'll give you some advice on Manley...don't go. We were there last year and the boat launch on the Tanana was like a cliff. We launched right in Manley which meant a run on the slough. Water was high, so that wasn't a problem. Make sure you're running a prop though, a lot of weeds in there.

    Also, the road there was awful, and I've driven just about every bad road in the state including the Alcan, Taylor/Top of the World, Dalton, etc.

    Although it's a longer run on the water, I'd suggest going to the bridge.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I'll give you some advice on Manley...don't go. We were there last year and the boat launch on the Tanana was like a cliff. We launched right in Manley which meant a run on the slough. Water was high, so that wasn't a problem. Make sure you're running a prop though, a lot of weeds in there.

    Also, the road there was awful, and I've driven just about every bad road in the state including the Alcan, Taylor/Top of the World, Dalton, etc.

    Although it's a longer run on the water, I'd suggest going to the bridge.

    We may very well go from the bridge, manley was best case scenario based on current road conditions. A guy I work with said they did a lot of improvements lately and it was pretty nice when he went through there. I'm not opposed to the bridge, converting my boat to a prop isn't cost effective either. I may be underestimating my fuel needs for below galena as well. Do people stage fuel along the koyokuk for the trip out. I'm not sure what I can carry but if I could stage 30 galons every 20 miles going up it would def help.

  12. #12
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I'll give you some advice on Manley...don't go. We were there last year and the boat launch on the Tanana was like a cliff. We launched right in Manley which meant a run on the slough. Water was high, so that wasn't a problem. Make sure you're running a prop though, a lot of weeds in there.

    Also, the road there was awful, and I've driven just about every bad road in the state including the Alcan, Taylor/Top of the World, Dalton, etc.

    Although it's a longer run on the water, I'd suggest going to the bridge.
    I concur with what oakman says, been there, done it and don't believe I'll be doing it again. That 90, gravel, miles to Manly was probably the worst 90 miles I've ever driven. By the time we got to the launch it took me about an hour to retighten every bolt and screw that had come loose on the boat. I even lost a tail light lens cover on the trailer. Then when we got back, on the drive out, ended up having a blowout in the middle of the night. That road sucks, no two ways about it. And I'll also concur regarding the put in ramp, there was about a 2 foot drop off/cliff into the river. I made the trip back in 2011 and it doesn't sound like things have changed much, if at all. I also thought that I would just ship the moose meat back from Galena but we ended up taking it all back to Manly instead. Two guys and two moose in a 21' sport Jon with a 200 hp Mercury sport jet. One year I flew into Galena and rented a boat and we ended up shipping two moose back to Anchorage using Everetts air cargo. I think the back haul was around $.25 per pound. Both times I've been there, in '08 and '11, fuel was $7/gal. in Galena.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBOLING View Post
    We may very well go from the bridge, manley was best case scenario based on current road conditions. A guy I work with said they did a lot of improvements lately and it was pretty nice when he went through there. I'm not opposed to the bridge, converting my boat to a prop isn't cost effective either. I may be underestimating my fuel needs for below galena as well. Do people stage fuel along the koyokuk for the trip out. I'm not sure what I can carry but if I could stage 30 galons every 20 miles going up it would def help.
    We staged fuel all the way up from Galena. Basically we would burn 15-30 gallons then cache 1-2, 15 gallon barrels and we did that in about four or five different spots. It's also a good idea to make sure that nobody sees you do that and of course mark it with a GPS.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I concur with what oakman says, been there, done it and don't believe I'll be doing it again. That 90, gravel, miles to Manly was probably the worst 90 miles I've ever driven. By the time we got to the launch it took me about an hour to retighten every bolt and screw that had come loose on the boat. I even lost a tail light lens cover on the trailer. Then when we got back, on the drive out, ended up having a blowout in the middle of the night. That road sucks, no two ways about it. And I'll also concur regarding the put in ramp, there was about a 2 foot drop off/cliff into the river. I made the trip back in 2011 and it doesn't sound like things have changed much, if at all. I also thought that I would just ship the moose meat back from Galena but we ended up taking it all back to Manly instead. Two guys and two moose in a 21' sport Jon with a 200 hp Mercury sport jet. One year I flew into Galena and rented a boat and we ended up shipping two moose back to Anchorage using Everetts air cargo. I think the back haul was around $.25 per pound. Both times I've been there, in '08 and '11, fuel was $7/gal. in Galena.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    $.25 sounds a lot better than doing 8mph at full throttle for 300 miles. I'll find out this summer how much fuel my boat can push, then stage it along the river below Galena.
    1872 Sea Ark.jpg

  15. #15
    Member tzieli22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    590

    Default

    I did my first trip with my 24' sea ark and 105/150 jet. You need 3 weeks to do it effectively. Depending on how far up the Koyukuk you go you can expect to burn 450 to 500 gal like I did from the bridge and back. If you're only going to carry 90 gal you won't get up the Koyukuk very far. You're going to run about 17 to 18 mph going up river.
    Tony

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Thanks for the info Tony I read some of your other posts as you suggested. We plan on running extremely light, basically as if we were sheep hunting. I've done all my calculations based on a 20mph average. I don't have enough experience with this particular boat yet to feel confident with loads and burn rates yet. I figured 20 mph burning 6.5 gal/hr that gets me to chips island on 120 gal. After reading some comments I'll def be hauling more fuel from galena. I might even be looking for a 115 lower unit with a prop. Wish I know I was gonna draw this tag and I would have sprung for a bigger boat/motor. As far as time frame go's my plan is to hit the river early on the 13th and run nonstop to Galena fuel up and continue on so we can get a lay of the land a day or two before the opener. I guess everything is dependent on what we can actually push for weight. If the wooly ends up with a prop he should be able to haul a substantial load.

  17. #17
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKBOLING View Post
    Thanks for the info Tony I read some of your other posts as you suggested. We plan on running extremely light, basically as if we were sheep hunting. I've done all my calculations based on a 20mph average. I don't have enough experience with this particular boat yet to feel confident with loads and burn rates yet. I figured 20 mph burning 6.5 gal/hr that gets me to chips island on 120 gal. After reading some comments I'll def be hauling more fuel from galena. I might even be looking for a 115 lower unit with a prop. Wish I know I was gonna draw this tag and I would have sprung for a bigger boat/motor. As far as time frame go's my plan is to hit the river early on the 13th and run nonstop to Galena fuel up and continue on so we can get a lay of the land a day or two before the opener. I guess everything is dependent on what we can actually push for weight. If the wooly ends up with a prop he should be able to haul a substantial load.
    I think your fuel burn is on the low side. Here is a snap of my numbers from the bridge and back, I took this right before I got back to the bridge. 22 ft Wolly AKII with a 150 Honda running a prop. A prop would be a wise choice. Over 1K river miles run.

    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

  18. #18
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,202

    Default

    I've hidden gas along the river many times. As mentioned, make sure nobody else sees what you're doing. Be prepared to drop it and go quickly. Keep it well covered with brush, make sure you don't leave marks on the riverbank. I've always made sure not to do this around any towns/villages. The less traffic in the area the better.

    I'd second the thought of shipping meat back via air. Backhaul rates aren't too bad.

    If you're running a jet, you definitely don't want to be on the Manley slough. I did that last year. You'll suck so many weeds into your jet you'll wish you were never there. We couldn't use the Tanana "launch", but we did drop all of our gear there on the way back. It lightened the boat (looks to be the same set up as you, 20' sea ark) enough that I only sucked weeds into the jet twice.

    The way out with a heavy load (mostly fuel) was probably in the dozens of times. Truly miserable.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    50

    Default

    If I'm reading this right your round trip fuel was 234 gal @ 6.63 gph

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    50

    Default

    You were running a 20' sea ark with an 80jet? Mine is the 18' with an 80 Jet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •