Thread: Crust Skiing

Default Crust Skiing

I am relatively new to cross country skiing, but recently I have been interested in the activity of crust skiing this spring. Does anybody have any useful information on when to go/ where to go this spring to skate? From what I can tell it looks really fun, but hard to hit the snow perfectly. Anything would help!!

Check out www.crust.outlookalaska.com for great info.

Quote Originally Posted by peakman View Post
    I am relatively new to cross country skiing, but recently I have been interested in the activity of crust skiing this spring. Does anybody have any useful information on when to go/ where to go this spring to skate? From what I can tell it looks really fun, but hard to hit the snow perfectly. Anything would help!!
    What would help is telling people where you live or what part of the State you plan on skiing...

Springtime offers unlimited possibilities for getting around on skis. Alpine touring, light metal-edged touring, snow machine trail skating or touring and on and on. The conditions have to be just right for spring corn snow, hard packed surface ( by wind or? ) softening up on the surface in the sun. Cold nights reset and in the day, sun starts the process over. Makes for fast glide conditions until the sun gets too warm and the snow gets slushy. Early Spring through late Spring in the higher elevations or latitudes as long as the nights are cool enough for a reset/refreeze of the snow. Mid May on the North side of the Brooks.

I live in the Anchorage Bowl; what is the best place nearby? Is there anywhere good that is close by? (Powerline Pass maybe??)