Thread: 11-13 Aug Kenai Fishing

Default 11-13 Aug Kenai Fishing

Great forum! Never been fishing in Alaska and now my wife and I will have a chance. We will be in Anchorage all week from 5-10 August on business. Plan on trying Shipís creek in the aftrernoon. We donít fish a lot and have never fished for salmon before. On Friday we plan to head down to Seward to see some more of Alaskaís famous scenery and maybe to try some more fishing. We will have all day Sat, Sun and maybe part of Monday. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are thinking about a guided drift trip on the Kenai or Kasilof, but also thinking about a salmon trip out of Seward. Does anyone have a guide suggestion and know how many people they normally take on the river trips? How about the Ĺ day trips on Resurrection Bay? Is that a good choice? Maybe we could do both.

Thanks

Default If you're in Seward......

It appears that you will be in Seward at the start of their Silver Salmon Derby! It runs from August 11 to 19. It's a great event. But you won't be alone. Expect lots of people, and lots of fish.

For charters, try these places in Seward:

http://www.saltwatersafari.com/

http://www.crackerjackcharters.com/index.html

They will likely be running combo salmon/halibut charters in mid August. That's a blast. You can catch alot of coho in a very short time. The problem will be trying to find two open seats on the weekend. You may have to check around with other charters to see if anyone has any openings.

If you're looking for a charter in the Kenai area, the coho should be just starting to come in the rivers (Kenai/Kasilof) in good numbers. There are lots of guides who run 1/2 day charters for coho. The daily limit is two, and if the fish are running, it won't take long to get your limit.

My personal favorite is the Kasilof River because it's drift boat only. It's nice quiet drift on a beautiful Alaskan river. Lots of scenery and wildlife. If the coho are in, you should catch lots of fish.

Here's a couple guides that I've used. These folks will provide you with a great time. Bob Ball only fishes the Kasilof. Gary/Val Early hit both the Kenai and the Kasilof.

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/index.htm

http://www.earlyfishing.com/index.html

Good luck.

Default Sounds great!

Thanks for the great information. We're getting excited about our trip. Got me thinking that if I want to fish the Kasilof or lower Kenai, I should probably find somewhere closer to stay than Seward. What about the upper Kenai during that time, will the silvers be up that far?

Quote Originally Posted by horseangel View Post
    What about the upper Kenai during that time, will the silvers be up that far?
    There might be a few silvers in the Upper Kenai, but what will certainly be there is the end of the sockeye run and some fat rainbows. The rainbow fishery is mainly catch and release, but it's still great fun to hook into a 20+ inch native rainbow. Most people's attention has turned towards silvers by this time, but I've caught plenty of fresh reds in the upper Kenai and Russian in early to mid-August (without the typical crowds). Enjoy!

Default Many choices

Thanks for all the good advice. You guys are great! Sounds like we may have a lot of choices, depending on what guides are available. If we can't find a lower Kenai or Kasilof trip then the trout on the upper Kenai sounds good.
    What about advice on Ship's creek in Anchorage?. I heard it's sorta hectic. We won't be able to fish except in the evenings. Is there a place nearby to rent equipment and get some pointers? Or should we bother at all?

Last August, I fished the Kasilof and the Kenai with Mike Wheat at www.fishwheat.com and caught fish like mad.

If you still need a guide, I'd suggest him for sure.

Default Kenai Fishing

A great guide that has helped me many times is Jerry Herrod, Alaska Trout on the Fly, (907)748-6570. He has the permits for all of the waters there and has a great boat. He also does walk-ins. I've done both with him. He's got a great website www.alaskatroutonthefly.com