Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Number of pots for 2017?

Default Number of pots for 2017?

I heard that we will be allowed 5 shrimp pots for the 2017 season. Can anyone confirm this?

ADFG site says 4 pots still.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

The other day I was in the Anchorage office of ADF&G and they finally cut off receiving any additional shrimping permits from last year. So they are still crunching numbers and I was told it would be probably 3-4 weeks before everything was decided for the coming season. Permits will be available on line and we are getting close to were getting a permit and reporting will only be online. It would really help if people filed their reports in a timely manner. I know if I don't file my subsistence permits by the time they are due I can't get another one the following season.
    cleaning pots.jpgstarfish ate pretty well.jpg

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

Someone told me the number of pots was switched back to 5. According to the F&G page it says 5 now!!!!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...PWSShrimp.regs

Update: Well I found another place that says 4 still. SO I guess 4 1/2 pots is good.

After speaking with the biologist it looks like sport shrimpers over fished sport GHL allocation by 30% last year (numbers may be out by end of week). I would guess that it will remain at 4 pots, but should probably be reduced to 3. This may be because of the 16% increase in shrimp permits issued last year.

The other solution is for in-season online reporting. Then it would be possible to fish with more gear, but with a potentially shorter season.
    PolarMarine.net

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiFly View Post
    After speaking with the biologist it looks like sport shrimpers over fished sport GHL allocation by 30% last year (numbers may be out by end of week). I would guess that it will remain at 4 pots, but should probably be reduced to 3. This may be because of the 16% increase in shrimp permits issued last year.

The other solution is for in-season online reporting. Then it would be possible to fish with more gear, but with a potentially shorter season.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap.../765655223.pdf

It seems that the number of harvestable shrimp is up. I find it hard to believe that there was a 16% increase in the number of shrimpers. That seems to be quite the increase of people buying boats or finding other ways to go out. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Dewey's alone sells a lot of boats in Anchorage. There were a crapload of pots floating around last year it seemed to me. Everywhere I went - I went a lot.

i tend to agree with the increase in rec boaters too. We have been seeing more and more buoys floating around. Many in poor shrimping waters too. LOL Along with the big increase in human related emergency calls for the CG and other boaters. I'm all for keeping the pot limit to 4 this year, but really like seeing the increase in shrimp numbers in this report.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Let's leave it at 4 pots, but give **** near all of PWS to the commercial shrimpers and raise their quota to almost 120,000 pounds. That's sounds like a good idea to me.

Yeah that's pretty stupid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Let's leave it at 4 pots, but give **** near all of PWS to the commercial shrimpers and raise their quota to almost 120,000 pounds. That's sounds like a good idea to me.

here's the news from F&G where did you come up with 120,000lbs ???

The Prince William Sound (PWS) commercial shrimp pot fishing season will open at 8:00 a.m.
    April 15, 201
    with a
    n allocation of
    lb
    Area
    is open to harvest and includes only those
    waters indicated on the attached map (Figure 1).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Number of pots for 2017?

Here the regs for this year. For the Commercial guys

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Do you even research anything or just start out with the poor me, the other guy gets it all attitude?

Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    i tend to agree with the increase in rec boaters too. We have been seeing more and more buoys floating around. Many in poor shrimping waters too. LOL Along with the big increase in human related emergency calls for the CG and other boaters. I'm all for keeping the pot limit to 4 this year, but really like seeing the increase in shrimp numbers in this report.
    I made it back up to Whittier last summer for the first time since 2005 when I brought the boat around from Seward and couldn't believe the number of buoys in Passage Canal. Compared to what I was used to before the tunnel was paved I'd say at least 10-20x the number of buoys fishing including lots in the middle of the canal. I can't imagine how many pots get run over by the ferry!

Its sooooo much more important to have the com guys around for the HUGE shrimp fishery we have in the sound. 67K lbs is alot of money for these guys and is such a huge part of our fishery. Think we should limit the rec guys to 1 pot and can only soak for 2 hrs a trip then raise the com quota. How this sound to everyone??
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyin 1 On View Post
    Its sooooo much more important to have the com guys around for the HUGE shrimp fishery we have in the sound. 67K lbs is alot of money for these guys and is such a huge part of our fishery. Think we should limit the rec guys to 1 pot and can only soak for 2 hrs a trip then raise the com quota. How this sound to everyone??
    Sounds good, set a precedent, you start

Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

What do the com guys get a pound for PWS shrimp? I seem to remember $9 a lb... Ya 67k x 9 sounds like good $$ for the few boats that fish.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The Prince William Sound (PWS) trawl fishery for sidestripe shrimp will open April 15, 2017 with guideline harvest levels (GHLs) set at 65,950 lb for the Wells Section, 33,000 lb for the combined Central and Southwest Sections, and 14,000 lb for the Northwest Section (Figure 1).

My bad, this is for the trawl fishery.

[QUOTE=hoose35;1585847]Do you even research anything or just start out with the poor me, the other guy gets it all attitude?

Not worried about the other guy, I get 6K plus shrimp a year. Nothing in what I said alludes to "poor me".
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-19-2017 at 19:50.

[QUOTE=4whlr;1585966][QUOTE=hoose35;1585847]Do you even research anything or just start out with the poor me, the other guy gets it all attitude?

Not worried about the other guy, I get 6K plus shrimp a year. Nothing in what I said alludes to "poor me". QUOTE]

Wow, 6k? How many do you have left right now?

Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-19-2017 at 19:50.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast