Thread: Copper fouling

Question Copper fouling

Im breaking in a new rifle barrel and have some copper fouling unable to remove. Ive been using hoppes copper remover with no luck. Any Ideas on how this effects accuracy and what solvents would be good to use. Thanks.

Try Sweet's 7.62 if you can find it. It WILL remove anything.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default copper

WIPE-OUT!!!! This stuff is amazing, you dont have to scrub anything! You can find it at Sportsmans Warehouse. Its a miracle product as far as I am concerned.

I'm slowly breaking in a new barrel myself, doing the shoot and clean, shoot an clean routine. I thoroughly clean between shots with Butch's Bore Shine (a great ammonia based solvent), which usually takes care of any fouling. Sometimes I let Hoppes 9 sit in the bore over night with the rifle in the corner, muzzle down on a paper towel...something you should never do with ammonia based solvents, but ok with Hoppes 9. The overnight Hoppes 9 cleaning is also effective most of the time. Once I used Wipe-Out on the recommendation of a friend. The Wipe-out was totally effective at getting the last of some stubborn fouling out, but I was uncomfortable with part of the directions that recommended against using an oiled patch after cleaning because it wasn't necessary with Wipe-Out...I didn't like the sound of that. I'm up to five shot strings now, and the fouling is greatly reduced.
    Good luck.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Barnes CR-10. Been using it ever since Barnes brought it out to the market.
    Allen Glore

Default Copper

Barnes CR-10, If that wont do it (and it will) , then go to JB Bore Compound. Sweets works good, but I prefer barnes.

Default Sweet's 7.62 and barrel break in

I've been using Sweet's 7.62 for years and it can't be beat for removing copper. Just don't let it touch your stock or it will eat whatever the finish is.

You'll hear people talk about breaking in barrels using the one shot, clean, one shot, clean routine. Typically they do this for 10 shots and then go to three shots and clean for a couple of strings. Some people say this does no good at all and that all the extra cleaning just is additional wear. Others say it is like a final finish lapping. In my experience with factory and custom barrels, this method seems to work best on custom barrels. I have watched a good custom tube like a Krieger or Obermeyer really let up on copper fouling about mid way through the break in process and essentially stop fouling by the end of the process. They still lay down some copper, but most of it will come right out with a brush, rather than just be plated on like many factory tubes. I think most factory barrels are too rough to benefit from breaking in a barrel this way and would be better off with fire lapping. The key to breaking in a barrel using this method is to have the barrel cleaned to bare steel for each shot, otherwise you are just working the copper fouling already accumualted.

My cleaning routine involves a wet patch with Hoppe's 9 followed by a few strokes with a good brass brush wet with Hoppe's followed by a few dry patches. If I have any copper then I hit it with Sweet's on a patch and let it sit for a few minutes sometimes stroking it if the fouling is bad. Then I dry patch out and hit it with some Kroil to clear out the Sweet's. More dry patches and light oil for rust prevention. Wheh. That's too much work.

An old gezzer at the range had me do this years ago. I cleaned my rifle with Hoppes 9 until I had a clean patch come out.

Then I cleaned it with Sweets and couldn't believe how much stuff came out. This guy was at least 150 years old, so he knew his stuff.

Sweet's works.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default wipe out

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    I'm slowly breaking in a new barrel myself, doing the shoot and clean, shoot an clean routine. I thoroughly clean between shots with Butch's Bore Shine (a great ammonia based solvent), which usually takes care of any fouling. Sometimes I let Hoppes 9 sit in the bore over night with the rifle in the corner, muzzle down on a paper towel...something you should never do with ammonia based solvents, but ok with Hoppes 9. The overnight Hoppes 9 cleaning is also effective most of the time. Once I used Wipe-Out on the recommendation of a friend. The Wipe-out was totally effective at getting the last of some stubborn fouling out, but I was uncomfortable with part of the directions that recommended against using an oiled patch after cleaning because it wasn't necessary with Wipe-Out...I didn't like the sound of that. I'm up to five shot strings now, and the fouling is greatly reduced.
    Good luck.
    I am trying to get some of this wipe out stuff to try. Could you clarify your concerns with the product viv-a vis the oiled patch thing? Thanks

I have used Wipe-Out for almost a year and will not use any other cleaner for copper. I've had barrels that had Sweets, then JB used on them and they were still dirty. With Wipe-Out, just spray the foam into the barrel, let it sit, run a couple of dry patches through and the barrel is clean. No more brushes. You can run an oily patch through the barrel if you so desire.

Bearheart,
    As I mentioned Wipe-out really worked pretty darn good the one time I tried it. Also the friend who recommended it to me knows his stuff. When I used it, I was breaking in a fine Lilja barrel. I had hesitation when I read the post-cleaning directions on the can, "DO NOT (my emphasis) put oil in the bore (after cleaning). Wipe-out contains a powerful anti-corrosive that prevents rust." I just didn't feel comfortable with the idea that I couldn't run an oil patch after cleaning the bore to bare metal, and I wasn't sure about the effects (if any) with repeated application of an unidentified "powerful anti-corrosive" to the bore of my custom barrel. Admittedly, I'm probably being unnecessarily and overly cautious, but there you have it. Guess it's just hard for me after all these years to not run an oil patch through the bore of a well cleaned rifle before putting it back in the safe. Change can be very difficult some time.
    Doc