Thread: backpack mount for rifle

Default backpack mount for rifle

I carry a Marlin 45/70 when backpacking and hiking, and I'm looking for a better way to pack it on overnight (and longer) trips.

Currently I've got a modified scabbard that I lash to the side of my pack, but I'd like to buy, make, or modify something that would carry the weapon securely on the side of the pack, but allow me to get it "in-hand" in a big hurry - some kind of quick-release that's sturdy enough that alders and such won't grab the gun and pull it off. Any suggestions?

Amen on the Kifaru.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Just hook it over your pack frame, insteada your shoulder.

That idea isn't patented.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default rifle carrier

I carry my rifle in the crook of my left arm 100% of the time when hiking. If you ever find you really need your firearm "in a hurry" in your backpack is going to be too far away. On the two occasions that I needed my rifle b/o bears I barely had time to work the bolt and would never gotten it to my shoulder in time. Most people that I have read about that got off a round before a bear attack usually have ended up firing from the hip and rarely if ever have had sufficient time to fire a second round. Nevertheless there are a number of people that use some sort of a system to carry their rifle when backpacking. One highly touted method is via the Eberlestock "Just One Backpack". http://www.eberlestock.com/

Thumbs up Home-made rifle rig

I had the same problem and didn't like anything I found so I made one....
    I took a PVC electical weather-head with the screw on cover...removed the cover and cut off the pipe neck to have a PVC box with a rounded side and hole in the bottom....drilled it and bolted to the tail of my cabelas frame.
    I padded the inside with some stick on chair glide felt.
    To secure the top I bolted in one of those plastic coated 1/4" steel hooks for hanging stuff in the garage. The rifle kind of hangs with the butt riding in the box and you can get it off in about 2 seconds.

The only time it will come off is if you go ass over tea-kettle down a hill.
    I will post a pic if anyone is interested....it only weighs a few ounces.

Hillbilly - I'd like to see it - please post a photo.
    Thanks.

Default Pics

Quote Originally Posted by greencanoe View Post
    Hillbilly - I'd like to see it - please post a photo.
    Thanks.
    I will try to get the wife to take a pic tonight.

Default I agree with Shphtr

An interesting rig, but I agree with Shphtr. Having your gun in hand might just give you the extra second or two in case of need. Yeah, in the Lower 48 having a gun rack on your pack might be okay, but up here, especially in the thick stuff, well....

Default Nice job Hill

I like the innovation. I did much the same thing years ago, but used heavy material for the bottom "sock". I made it deep enough that the rifle could not bounce out. I inserted a heavy duty grommet and used the existing waist belt pin as the attach point. A couple of velcro straps up high held it tightly in place.
    That system lasted for 2 sheep hunts and a goat hunt. The total weight was about nil. If you have a good quality sewing machine you can do it all yourself.
    I agree with the comments about if you need the gun, in your hand is better. But when you are up on ridges in wide open country there is usually ample time to see, hear, and evade problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I like the innovation. I did much the same thing years ago, but used heavy material for the bottom "sock". I made it deep enough that the rifle could not bounce out. I inserted a heavy duty grommet and used the existing waist belt pin as the attach point. A couple of velcro straps up high held it tightly in place.
    That system lasted for 2 sheep hunts and a goat hunt. The total weight was about nil. If you have a good quality sewing machine you can do it all yourself.
    I agree with the comments about if you need the gun, in your hand is better. But when you are up on ridges in wide open country there is usually ample time to see, hear, and evade problems.
    Please note the subtle but important pivotal word "USUALLY" in the last sentence above. My preference is to be prepared for the unusual...I don't obsess about it, rather it has become my SOP - no decision process involved. Just my way of doing things - everyone gets to make their own decisions...and then deal with what ever the down stream consequences are.

For slab-sided leverguns, the Alaska Sportsman scabbards are fantastic. I've used them for years. VERY Fast draw time. You just reach over your shoulder and there it is.

Default no argument

How could I argue with a guy whose name is synonymous with mountains when mine denotes a love for water and what is flat my dear friend sheephunter? With that said, Greencanoe asked for ideas on ways to carry a gun, not if you keep your gun in your hands all the time.
    My experience allows me to determine for myself that in the wide open I am comfortable with my gun or bow in a carrier. In the brush, I weigh the current situation. Where am I, how many people in the group, etc. are questions I ask myself. I go from there.
    Hazard assessment, risk analysis, and loss prevention are something I do day in and day out as a profession. I am intimately familiar with matrices dealing with probablitiy and severity. My work requires a conservative approach to safety. I take much the same conservative attitudes to the outdoors.
    The question origionally presented has provided valuable information to us all and hopefully has given the originator some better ideas. I am looking on other ways to improve on my proverbial "mouse trap" also.
    So I will close with this. How do you or how would you carry your gun or bow for extended periods of time when your hands had to free?

Default Badlands 2200

The Badlands 2200 pack works well using its integral mounts. As said here though I don't "pack" the rifle unless someone is with me with there rifle in hand. Ever.

"So I will close with this. How do you or how would you carry your gun or bow for extended periods of time when your hands had to free?"

In my first post, last sentence, I offered a suggestion along with the appropriate link for further information if so interested.

Default thanks shphtr

I forgot to go back to the top and re-read. That does look like an interesting system.