Thread: Butte Creek Trail

Question Butte Creek Trail

Anybody have any info on Butte Creek trail off the Denali Hwy? Looking to take my son grayling fishing/riding next weekend. Thanks

Butte creek trail goes about 35 miles back into the mountains. It's not a bad trail, if you go very far, you will have to cross wickersham creek, which can be a challenge,depending on how high the water is. If you just ride down toward the mouth of butte creek(where it dumps into the su), the fishing is great. There are some very nice grayling in there, been there several times.

Does the trail lead directly to the mouth at the Su or do you have to cross wickersham creek to get there? Thanks.

Yes, if you go straight you go toward the mouth. You have to take the fork to the right to get back to where wickersham is. If a person had a jeep you could drive directly to the mouth. Catch one for me as I won't be able to make it up there this summer.

I thought the Wickersham Trail was north of Fairbanks and the Butte Creek Trail was between Cantwell and Paxson but I've been wrong before.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKRAZY1 View Post
    I thought the Wickersham Trail was north of Fairbanks and the Butte Creek Trail was between Cantwell and Paxson but I've been wrong before.
    You're right. But there's a Wickersham Creek that one of the legs off Butte Creek Trail crosses.

Sound like a good place to ride, does anyone know how the moose hunting is in this area?

Sound like a good place to ride, does anyone know how the moose hunting is in this area?
    I can't quote the exact regs, but we were in the area for last hunting season and it was VERY popular (I'm guessing at least 50 vehicles in the parking lot). Across the river is Windy Creek, which is hike-in only for hunting, and I've seen caribou herds every time I've ridden back there.

Mark

Yup.

There's lots of pressure.

Question

I found an old thread with some directions for the trail. It said there are two choices out of the parking lot, the main trail to the east and another trail. Does anyone know which trail takes you to the mouth at the Su and how far it is. Thanks

Mark

The two trail options that I know of fork just past Snodgrass Lake. One goes west up the north side of Butte Creek toward Wickersham Creek and beyond. The other goes south along the east side of the Watana Hills toward Coal Creek.

If there's a short fork to the mouth of Butte Creek, it isn't very far from the highway. It must be right around were the trail hugs the east side of Snodgrass Lake.

I've never been to the mouth of Butte Creek.

Default Butte Creek

Having never done it per se I'm thinking that you get to the mouth by running downstream on the trails (east) after crossing Butte Creek. I've tried to run out a couple of trails to the E / SE before the creek (due to the situation below) and they all dead ended.

One thing too is that last year the traditional water hole SE of Snodgrass was too deep for any normal wheeler. A beaver dam seemed to be holding more water then normal as recent rain hadn't been an issue. Unless someone's blown it out (very possibly), that could be an issue.

The trail upstream (north side of Butte) keeps you on a ridge above Butte Creek for a ways, and you could walk down the ridgeline to the creek although it might be a bit of a whack. Further up, a fork eventually drops down into what looks like some heavy pond/lowland country towards Butte; i.e. no fun. The upper trail brings you into the higher country which is away from Butte and presumably fishing. At least that's my best recollection.