Thread: How far down the Chitna road did you get?

Default How far down the Chitna road did you get?

Looking to find out if anyone has made it to Haley Creek via 4 wheelers. If so, what was it like, if not, how far did you make it? Thanks for any info!

A few weeks ago we saw atv's parked at the bottom of the canyon. I hear there are a few nasty slides to pass that are quite tricky though. We were in my boat so I am just relaying what I saw and heard.

You can drive to the tunnel. If I had to give it a rating (I-V) I would say the trail is Class II but since everything in Alaska is more then I rate it a Class III trail system. I carried 90 fish out on a Polaris 450 and did not have to portage anything the entire way. I suggest checking your breaks before you go, realizing that with 90 fish on a wheeler that 3-4 mph is fast at times, taking plenty of cargo straps (ratchet type), and make sure you have enough rough totes of coolers with places to tie them down. There are many areas that you have to ride close to the edge but there is not much side hilling in my opinion, I believe that there is not a single time that your uphill tire is more than 12 inches above your down hill tire. All that said my wife walked while I drove the fish out and she almost beat me out.

I spent about 40 minutes moving a few rocks as I figure we should all do a little to better the trail but you can tell some folks have done some work in there, thanks to those before me. All that said I can not imagine things staying passable for many more years as some of the other areas (besides the large slide form last fall) are getting pretty small (narrow). I would not mind taking the boat but I enjoy the adventure of the Do It Yourself dip netting without the hassle of waiting for a boat.

Good Luck

One clarification I drove to the tunnel, not through I turned around when I saw it as I had plenty of work ahead of me at that time. So my report is to the tunnel, if you can get through it I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    One clarification I drove to the tunnel, not through I turned around when I saw it as I had plenty of work ahead of me at that time. So my report is to the tunnel, if you can get through it I do not know.
    could you see through the tunnel to the other side?

I don't know, I went to where I saw it and turned around before before the tunnel, it was 3:30 AM and I quickly headed about 2 miles back down the road towards Chitina to where we had been fishing. I wanted to see if you could drive the trail but at 3:30 with 90 fish on the ground to pack out I did not check the tunnel out. Sorry...

I did not see through the tunnel, but did not look either.

Thumbs up Just got back

and whe camped at haley creek. As posted above the trail is alot better than I had been led to believe. Got 80 between to of us and 2 kings. Take it slow when needed and you will have no problems.

Default Road to Haley Creek

I took a small dirtbike from O'Brien to Haley two weeks ago, just to check it out. Tricky but it can be done. There were several ATV's down at Haley.

We went out on the Hem's boat to fish.

Default driveable

Went to my spot just past the tunnel Sat/Sun. There are 2-3-4? real rough spots and what I hadn't realized is there are 12-18 more spots mildly rough spots (would be tough for a car ect to cross but not much trouble at all for a 4 wheeler) where maybe a half a dump truck load has spilled onto roadbed. The Roughest and meanest bad spot is a tight curve with a long drop immediately below(don't look down) and while people have obviously done work there is very large rock creating an angle(leaning toward the drop) with maybe 12 inches between high and low side(4-wheeler width).
    I went with a guy who had a four wheeler and the first time going back(and he drove pretty much all night so was a little fried at that point) he hesitated at that bad spot but pretty much had absolutely no trouble with any of it after doing it once or twice. I myself have spent close to zero (yes i do live in AK but just haven't done any fourwheeling) time on a fourwheeler and would of turned around rather than try any number of spots, well say 6 or so looked beyond what I would want to try as a novice, mainly the "don't look down factor". places where it was both rough and you do not want to lose it as there would be a long ways to fall before you came to a halt.

Talked to some guys from Anchorage who said that the road had improved a fair amount from two weeks ago when they were there. There has been a LOT of work done, from pick and shovel to chainsawing (heavy brush, and trees lying across road)
    So THANK YOU to anyone who has worked on the road, made it possible for me to get back to my spot.

We had to see ??, close to a hundred four wheelers? Saturday was busy and Sunday(we dipped in the am and then left) it had slowed down a lot.
    as for salmon, 11 for me and the other guy got 20 or so. Far from being skunked but we sure had to work for them.
    Last edited by Chitina; 07-15-2007 at 23:54. Reason: adding info
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Dipping Report

We got on the Hem charter on Monday morning at 5:00 and stopped fishing after we got 60 + fish by Noon. We could have caught our limit of 80 but we didn't want to clean anymore. We were dropped off on the road side and were pleased with the fishing. I spoke with a State Trooper who rode his ATV all the way to Haley Creek at the bottom of the dipnet area. Call Hems fishing report to get the latest info (907) 823-2200.