Thread: FERC Accepts Preliminary Permit for Kenai Tributary Hydropower Project

Default FERC Accepts Preliminary Permit for Kenai Tributary Hydropower Project

http://www.hydroworld.com/articles/2...in-alaska.html

Comment period closes March 20....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Interesting. I didn't know Chugach Electric was even looking at this. A quick look at their website found nothing about it. I did track down a link to the permit application which describes the project better than the Hydroworld article. Here's the link:

http://www.rbca-alaska.org/files/sno...applicaton.pdf

This would take place at the headwaters of the Kenai River.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Looks like this will eliminate Lower Paradise Lake and a whole slew of small lakes.

Thumbs up

Looks like it will make a nice big new lake while producing electricity and jobs = Win, Win, Win!
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Looks like it will make a nice big new lake while producing electricity and jobs = Win, Win, Win!
    Yeah yeah..."rah rah progress"....except forty years ago ADFG and USFS ranked this project at #4 behind dams at Resurrection River, Crescent Lake, and Grant Lake...and stated that the inherent conflicts it presents could not be resolved....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    ....except forty years ago...the inherent conflicts it presents could not be resolved....
    Yeah yeah..."Blah-blah never progress"....except times change, and what was once some bureaucrats' unresolvable conflict, is now just an minor engineering challenge. Meanwhile, the power requirements of the community/state/country/world continue to grow.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Yeah yeah..."Blah-blah never progress"....except times change, and what was once some bureaucrats' unresolvable conflict, is now just an minor engineering challenge. Meanwhile, the power requirements of the community/state/country/world continue to grow.
    Do some homework on "GLOFs" (glacier lake outburst floods) or "jokulhlaups"...these flood events occur like clockwork on the Snow River (every two years). Similar cycles are causing big problems at hydroelectric sites in places like Nepal. Hardly minor challenges, and likely the main reason why the project was stalled decades ago....

Do some homework on "GLOFs" (glacier lake outburst floods) or "jokulhlaups"...these flood events occur like clockwork on the Snow River (every two years). Similar cycles are causing big problems at hydroelectric sites in places like Nepal. Hardly minor challenges, and likely the main reason why the project was stalled decades ago....
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to cdubbin again.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Similar cycles are causing big problems at hydroelectric sites in places like Nepal. Hardly minor challenges,
    dub,

So now, your real reason for opposing this project seems to be that Chugach Electric may face too many expensive technical challenges? Glad to know that you're actually a true capitalist! And all this time, I'd thought it was because you'd watched "The Lorax" too many times.

dub,

So now, your real reason for opposing this project seems to be that Chugach Electric may face too many expensive technical challenges? Glad to know that you're actually a true capitalist! And all this time, I'd thought it was because you'd watched "The Lorax" too many times.
    Ha.....no, I'll gladly welcome development that is responsible and sustainable...in my mind this one is doubly DOA though....besides the crappy site, I don't think hydropower is appropriate for the Kenai watershed....

responsible and sustainable...in my mind....appropriate
    Ahh, there's the rub....all those subjective adjectives. On the RESIST side of progress, there never seems to be any project that meets those relative standards. So, in order to clarify your position, please provide examples of Alaskan watersheds, where you would "gladly welcome" new hydro-electric development?

Ahh, there's the rub....all those subjective adjectives. On the RESIST side of progress, there never seems to be any project that meets those relative standards. So, in order to clarify your position, please provide examples of Alaskan watersheds, where you would "gladly welcome" new hydro-electric development?
    Kodiak is a great example of hydroelectric success..they've cut diesel for power production by 99%....Allison Creek out of Valdez looks to be the same...wave energy generation is being looked at in Yakutat....harnessing the tidal power of Turnagain Arm could likely supply the whole Railbelt....plenty of good stuff going on in hydro right now...

I don't think hydropower is appropriate for the Kenai watershed....
    It already has it - Cooper Lake. To me, support would depend on how much salmon habit would be lost. I'm sure it is some loss but 70 MW is a decent amount of power that doesn't require oil or gas out of Cook Inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    It already has it - Cooper Lake. To me, support would depend on how much salmon habit would be lost. I'm sure it is some loss but 70 MW is a decent amount of power that doesn't require oil or gas out of Cook Inlet.
    Cooper Lake? Ha, you mean the once vibrant tributary of the Kenai that used to support a large sockeye run and had massive rainbow trout and other salmonids, which were eliminated with the Cooper Lake/Creek project? Now, it's just a shadow of what it used to be. Great example
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The purpose of a preliminary permit from FERC is to secure the site for future development for three years (max), and to study the potential for hydropower development. It does not authorize any ground-disturbing activities such as drilling or site clearing. It's just a paper exercise to determine whether hydropower could be developed, or not. The studies usually involve economics and engineering, but in this case environmental concerns would be equally important.

If high flows from glacial run-off or lahars would be a concern, the preliminary permit stage is the place to identify those challenges. Also, if the project would effect Pacific salmon, that's a huge issue that will be a substantial concern. I'm not saying those challenges can't be overcome, but they have alot of work to do. Best of luck.

I'm not sure what other sources of energy are available in rural KP, but a hydropower project sure beats burning 10,000 gallons of fuel oil a month to spin a turbine......

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Cooper Lake? Ha, you mean the once vibrant tributary of the Kenai that used to support a large sockeye run and had massive rainbow trout and other salmonids, which were eliminated with the Cooper Lake/Creek project? Now, it's just a shadow of what it used to be. Great example
    I was more pointing out that there is an existing hydro project in the Kenai watershed than saying it was good or bad.